Library of Alexandria info?

Discuss the culture of Alexander's world and his image in art

Moderator: pothos moderators

karen
Hetairos (companion)

Library of Alexandria info?

Post by karen »

Hi all:

I'm considering whether to take on a computer art assignment for a very high-profile political blog -- inside & outside "shots" of the Library of Alexandria (or some part thereof). I'd have to have it done by Thursday evening.

Where can I get max info on what's known, quick? I know there's precious little. I'm just trying to dig up (so to speak) info on a relatively new archaeological dig that supposedly unearthed something...

TIA,
Karen
Taphoi
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Taphoi »

Hi Karen,

Firstly, the Ptolemaic Library (the famous one) was the Library of the Museum/Museion, technically a Temple of the Muses, but actually a sort of ancient university. Hence it is the Museum (or possibly its scroll stacks) that you would actually be reproducing. The best physical description is in Strabo, who actually worked there: "The Museum too is part of the Royal Quarter. It comprises a public walk, an Exedra (a sort of multi-sided portico) with seats, and a large house in which is the common mess-hall of the men of learning who share the Museum." The most famous "Librarian" (chief priest of the Museum) was Eratosthenes, who measured the circumference of the Earth. I believe also that a stone box has been found that may have been used to store some of the scrolls. The location of the Museum is uncertain, but the preponderence of the evidence points to a site near the later Caesareum/Sebastion just behind the centre of the Great Harbour front.

Best wishes,

Andrew
Tantalus
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by Tantalus »

Karen, although this may not help you visualize how the Library looked, I thought some might like to read this.

Go to this page:

http://www.aps-pub.com/proceedings/1464/0600toc.htm

and download the pdf "Alexandria, Library of Dreams".

I found it interesting but I will leave it to those who know more than I as to the validity of his conclusions.
karen
Hetairos (companion)

Thanks all

Post by karen »

Though for some reason, Tantalus, I couldn't bring in the pdf. I appreciate the input!

Warmly,
Karen