Oh, I do like this!

Discuss the culture of Alexander's world and his image in art

Moderator: pothos moderators

marcus
Somatophylax

Oh, I do like this!

Post by marcus »

Courtesy of RogueClassiciam, some Macedonian graffiti from Baluchistan. Wonderful!
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
chris_taylor
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: Oh, I do like this!

Post by chris_taylor »

marcus wrote:Courtesy of RogueClassiciam, some Macedonian graffiti from Baluchistan. Wonderful!
it's a joke, I don't understand it. if it isn't, I don't neither. :oops:

Chris.
All men by nature desire understanding. Aristotle.
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

The script does not look Greek to me, and if i am not mistaken other people than Macedonians have hands; in fact those two lines at the finger joints recall Hindu sculpture IMHO this graffito has nothing to do with AtG. :(
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.
chris_taylor
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by chris_taylor »

agesilaos wrote:The script does not look Greek to me, and if i am not mistaken other people than Macedonians have hands; in fact those two lines at the finger joints recall Hindu sculpture IMHO this graffito has nothing to do with AtG. :(
the youtube video makes it obvious it's nonsense: nobody who really believes he uncovered something of value would produce such a video.

but my point was: I don't know who is serious and who is joking?

is the owner of the photo joking or does he believe anyone would fall for the nonsense? is rogueclassicism laughing at the owners of the photos for being serious or did they misunderstand their joke? is Marcus' post an in-joke on an already in-joke of a joke?

I'm completely baffled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7dqXc1-O2I

Chris.
All men by nature desire understanding. Aristotle.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

I like the idea of an "n-joke on an already in-joke of a joke", but I don't think it's that complicated. :lol:

I just thought it was rather a humorous little piece - I do think it's interesting what relatively 'trivial'-seeming things people will spend time putting together (and I have to admit that the YouTube video is ... er ... terrible?).

All the best
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

I have allowed this to distract me from more complicated matters, aaah sweet displacement activity, but trawling through various alphabets on the net, for despite the comments there are no Greek characters there, some symbols look like early Indian scripts but I have not found one that contains them all, perplexing :|
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.