Medieval Alexander picture

Discuss the culture of Alexander's world and his image in art

Moderator: pothos moderators

marcus
Somatophylax

Medieval Alexander picture

Post by marcus »

Hi folks,

I've just finished reading one of my Christmas books, which was actually a medieval history book. However, it was nice to see that the cover picture was a depiction of Alexander's conquests, illuminating a letter E from the Book of Maccabees. The bible comes from Durham Cathedral, and is dated to around 1170-80.
Durham bible Alexander pic.jpg
Durham bible Alexander pic.jpg (98.36 KiB) Viewed 3461 times
All the best
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Re: Medieval Alexander picture

Post by Alexias »

You aren't by any chance going to this? Or is anyone else? Alexander as a cross-dresser lecture.
http://www.britishmuseum.org/whats_on/e ... pe=Lecture
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Alexias wrote:You aren't by any chance going to this? Or is anyone else? Alexander as a cross-dresser lecture.
http://www.britishmuseum.org/whats_on/e ... pe=Lecture
Unfortunately not. The annoying this is that I'm going to London the next day, but I can't get there on the Friday evening ... otherwise I would go.

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

Great, I'm on the mailing list and this is the first I hear of it, thank the Gods for Pothos; have to try and get there....and heckle (should that be Heckel?) :twisted:
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

by the by why is this identified as Alexander, surely Judah Maccabeus would be more likely; eons since I read maccabees but did he not behead someone, allegedly, either the rival High Priest, Jonathon(?) or one of Antiochus' generals?
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

agesilaos wrote:by the by why is this identified as Alexander, surely Judah Maccabeus would be more likely; eons since I read maccabees but did he not behead someone, allegedly, either the rival High Priest, Jonathon(?) or one of Antiochus' generals?
I can't answer that (although I will make a suggestion - see below). To begin with, all I can do is quote from the inside of the book:
The picture on the cover comes from the Bible given to Durham cathedral by Bishop Hugh du Puiset (1153-95) and is reproduced by permission of the Dean and Chapter (Durham Cathedral Library MS A.II.i). It illustrates the campaigns of Alexander the Great, as recounted in the Book of Maccabees, and shows for the purposes of this book the terror that knights inspired.
(The book, by the way, is England and its Rulers, 1066-1272, by M.T.Clanchy, Blackwell, 2006 (3rd edition))

Bearing in mind that the 'recounting' of Alexander's campaigns in the Book of Maccabees comprises no more than the following ...:
And it came to pass, after that Alexander the Macedonian, the son of Philip, who came out of the land of Chittim, and smote Darius king of the Persian and Medes, it came to pass, after he had smitten him, that he reigned in his stead, in former time, over Greece. And he fought many battles, and won many strongholds, and slew the kings of the earth, and took spoils of a multitude of nations. And the earth was quiet before him, and he was exalted, and his heart was lifted up, and he gathered together an exceeding strong host, and ruled over countries and nations and principalities, and they became tributary unto him. And after these things he fell sick, and perceived that he should die. And he called his servants, which were honourable, which had been brought up with him from his youth, and he divided unto them his kingdom, while he was yet alive. And Alexander reigned twelve years, and he died. And his servants bare rule, each one in his place. And they did all put diadems upon themselves after that he was dead, and so did their sons after them many years: and they multiplied evils in the earth.
... one does wonder how they made the identification. I would suggest that, as the section quoted above is the beginning of Chapter 1 of the 1st Book of Maccabees, then if the illumination is on the first letter of the first chapter, it can reasonably be identified as Alexander.

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Post by Alexias »

agesilaos wrote:Great, I'm on the mailing list and this is the first I hear of it, thank the Gods for Pothos; have to try and get there....and heckle (should that be Heckel?) :twisted:
Perhaps if you get there you could let us have a summary? It would be interesting to know what museum items he references.