Princesses

Discuss the culture of Alexander's world and his image in art

Moderator: pothos moderators

system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Princesses

Post by system1988 »

Hi all

For some time know there has been an exhibition in Benaki Museum (of the family of shipowners Goulandri) entitled "Princesses of the Mediterranean in the dawn of history". It includes burials of 24 deceased women of great social positions in their respective societies (1000BC - 500BC). They come from Greece, Cyprus, Southern Italy and Etruria. Among the artifacts there is the lady from the Arhondikon of Pella, and the lady of Aegai for whom there is speculation that she was a true Lydic princess who married the king of Macedonia Amyntas the first. The Persians gave her to him as a bride in order to cultivate relations to Macedonia, planning alliances just bedore their assault on Greece. The triple axe which was found in her grave refers as a symbol to sacrificial practices pointing out that the princess herself might have been a priestess.

Taking photos of the artifacts was strictly prohibited so I can only send you this link for any actual material:

http://www.cycladic.gr/frontoffice/port ... 74&clang=1

for the photos go here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28390500@N ... 3764/show/

Best wishes

Pauline

PS

It's a shame I cannot send any photos to you, I will do so in another post. The artifacts are magnificent, more particularly a golden bracelet from Vatican never to have left Italy.
Πάντες άνθρωποι του ειδέναι ορέγονται φύσει
hiphys
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: Princesses

Post by hiphys »

This exibition is very impressive. I like mostly the way of putting jewels and other ornaments on a feminine frame: the show is magnificent!
Thank you for posting these links!
system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Post by system1988 »

hiphys wrote:This exibition is very impressive. I like mostly the way of putting jewels and other ornaments on a feminine frame: the show is magnificent!
Thank you for posting these links!
I was also amazed. I am "used" to the greek archaeological findings but the Etrurie artifacts, especially the "fibulae" were nothing short of extraordinary. I have never seen them beofre in an Italian museum in my entire life. All these years of visiting and staying in Italy gone to waste!

I will buy the guide book and will send some photos- hopefully.
Πάντες άνθρωποι του ειδέναι ορέγονται φύσει
hiphys
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by hiphys »

Yes I think the Etrurian goldsmith's art is truly magnificent, nevertheless I know a lot of Greek golden manufactured goods (like those in Taranto or in Salonika Museums) that aren't less gorgeous indeed!
Xenophon
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Xenophon »

As ever, thank you for posting this !!