Hanging Gardens of Babylon

Discuss the culture of Alexander's world and his image in art

Moderator: pothos moderators

marcus
Somatophylax

Hanging Gardens of Babylon

Post by marcus »

I suppose this only relates to Alexander inasmuch as it's to do with Babylon; but I did find this very interesting.

As so often is the case, it's from RogueClassicism:

Relocating the Hanging Gardens of Babylon.

All the best
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Re: Hanging Gardens of Babylon

Post by agesilaos »

Not a new theory Jona mentions it in his piece

http://rambambashi.wordpress.com/2009/0 ... g-gardens/

Nor does the 'proof' seem particularly strong, though I have always favoured the Ninevah theory but probably due to a natural perversity rather than any inherent strength in the arguments. Does a Garden in Ninevah preclude one in Babylon? I am slightly amazed that a city with a major river running through it might be considered too short of water to support a garden!

Other archaeologists claim to have found the site in Babylon, I think, or maybe they just found a way it might have been built, the geriatric memory...
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

agesilaos wrote:Not a new theory Jona mentions it in his piece

http://rambambashi.wordpress.com/2009/0 ... g-gardens/

Nor does the 'proof' seem particularly strong, though I have always favoured the Ninevah theory but probably due to a natural perversity rather than any inherent strength in the arguments. Does a Garden in Ninevah preclude one in Babylon? I am slightly amazed that a city with a major river running through it might be considered too short of water to support a garden!

Other archaeologists claim to have found the site in Babylon, I think, or maybe they just found a way it might have been built, the geriatric memory...
I hadn't seen Jona's piece - thanks for the link.

I know what you mean about the level of proof. I must say, however, that Dalley does know her onions, so it isn't an argument I would dare to dismiss, or scoff at. I'm certainly not sure if there's any reason to suppose that there weren't two sets of gardens. And certainly, as I recall, there is a place in Nebuchadnezzar's palace by the Ishtar Gate where the archs have pointed to the possibility of garden terraces of some kind.

It's an intriguing notion, at the very least!
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

Dredging the old grey matter I think the doubts about Gardens stem from both Herodotos' and Ctesias' failure to mention, them despite both being familiar with the city and no strangers to tales of wonders. I suppose all those 'romantics' who have Alexander spending his last days in the cool by the cistern of the Gardens are going to have to revise their text :lol:

As I said I have always favoured the Ninevah Solution, good to have sound academic support for a bias!
Xenophon
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Xenophon »

agesilaos wrote:Dredging the old grey matter I think the doubts about Gardens stem from both Herodotos' and Ctesias' failure to mention, them despite both being familiar with the city and no strangers to tales of wonders. I suppose all those 'romantics' who have Alexander spending his last days in the cool by the cistern of the Gardens are going to have to revise their text :lol:

As I said I have always favoured the Ninevah Solution, good to have sound academic support for a bias!
"no strangers to tales of wonders" is a bit of an understatement ! :lol:

Almost everything Herodotus [I.78 onward] tells us about Babylon is a gross exaggeration at best, his version of Babylon is pretty much a 'fairy tale' one.....

I too think that if the famous "Hanging Gardens" existed at all, then they were more likely at Ninevah, but there is no reason not to think that gardens less substantial existed in and around Babylon's palaces...
Last edited by Xenophon on Fri May 10, 2013 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

Litotes (understatement) is ever my way, hyperbole (exaggeration) is a tad brash, dont-cha-know?
but there is no reason to think that gardens less substantial existed in and around Babylon's palaces...
Shurely shome mishtake; I suspect a 'not' has dropped out after 'reason'. :oops:
Xenophon
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Xenophon »

Yesh......definitely a shlip of the 'ol fingersh.......duly corrected! :?

Hic !! ....or was it due to dear old Dennis' problem ?