Weapons of Hellenistic Times

Discuss the culture of Alexander's world and his image in art

Moderator: pothos moderators

system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Weapons of Hellenistic Times

Post by system1988 »

From the village Prodromoi (Greece) near the Greek- Albanian border.

Link here

http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/IamSy ... t=3&page=1
Πάντες άνθρωποι του ειδέναι ορέγονται φύσει
Paralus
Chiliarch

Re: Weapons of Hellenistic Times

Post by Paralus »

"Thoraka[z/x]......
Polemis[.....]
Prodromoi[....]"

What are the missing bits?!

Nice cuirass and even better preserved helmet.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
Xenophon
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Xenophon »

I can add some information regarding these items. They are currently housed in the Corfu (ancient Corcyra) archaeological museum ( though there is not much else of military interest there). They were found at Prodromoi Epeiros ( in ancient Epirus i.e. on the mainland) and date from the early third century ( or perhaps late 4 th), i.e from approximately the time of Pyrrhus. The 'thorakes', or muscled cuirass is made of iron decorated with bronze nipples etc .

Plate Iron cuirasses are very rare at this period, and hence indicative of great expense and high rank ( c.f. for example the iron tube-and-yoke cuirass from the 'Philip' tomb, and almost equally rare iron Makedonian helmets.

Co-incidently, Plutarch [ Demetrius XXI.3 ] describes two iron cuirasses that were reputedly proof against catapult bolts being specially made in Cyprus by one Zoilus and presented to Pyrrhus' great rival Demetrius Poliorcetes at the siege of Rhodes. Also co-incidently, Demetrius gave the second iron cuirass to Alcimus of Epirus "the sturdiest and most warlike of men under him". Alcimus fell in battle during the siege.

Plate iron cuirasses of iron therefore appear to be something of a novelty at this time.

The cuirass and helmet formed part of what is reckoned to be a votive deposit. It was found along with a kopis and two Thraco-Attic helmets as well as a krater, and a small gold wreath. The tinned, thraco-attic style helmet in System1988's photo is a modern reproduction.

I've added a couple of photos - a not very good one showing the finds as a whole, and a detailed profile of the tinned reproduction helmet - a type commonly worn in Antigonid Macedonia.....
Attachments
Mak silvered Antigonid type helmet from Epirus side.jpg
Mak silvered Antigonid type helmet from Epirus side.jpg (71.57 KiB) Viewed 3244 times
HelCorfucuirass with helmetswreath found in situ.jpg
HelCorfucuirass with helmetswreath found in situ.jpg (110.33 KiB) Viewed 3244 times
Last edited by Xenophon on Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Post by system1988 »

I am sure Xenophon's curiosity was satisfied since he apparently lives in the inland of Corfu ... and took these pictures...
Seriously i had no idea about the location of the finds. It makes sense anyway because one of the nearest museums in Greek territory close to the site where they were found is Corfu island.
Thank you very much Xenophon for all the precious and complete information.
Πάντες άνθρωποι του ειδέναι ορέγονται φύσει
Xenophon
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Xenophon »

....one further point of interest, which is not easy to see, is that the cuirass has embossed 'faux' shoulder flaps running fore and aft over the shoulders in imitation of earlier leather 'Tube-and-yoke' corselets ( spolades). These have 'faux' fastening pieces imitating the terminals which enabled the shoulder flaps on the original to be tied down.....here taking the form of lions heads, in gold or bronze above the false nipples......

Similar lions head terminals are found in several other Makedonian tombs..... ( some amongst 'organic' remains indicating lost leather 'spolades' )