"Say Cheese!"

Discuss the culture of Alexander's world and his image in art

Moderator: pothos moderators

system1988
Hetairos (companion)

"Say Cheese!"

Post by system1988 »

I was unaware of the sculpture in the photos or I must have forgotten about it. It depicts athenian youths from 375 BC who won the prize in the competition of the Great Games of Panathinea, in the sport called "Pyrihios Dance" (dance with weapons). Very happy with their victory, the "posed" like acrobats one on top of the other and the sculptor sent their victory stance to immortality.
DSC04832.JPG
DSC04832.JPG (112.84 KiB) Viewed 2158 times
DSC04834.JPG
DSC04834.JPG (151.47 KiB) Viewed 2158 times
DSC04835.JPG
DSC04835.JPG (138.8 KiB) Viewed 2158 times

The second sculpting on the side of the marble is an inscription of the winners of the other event of Great Dionysia. The names might belong to the same youths who may have participated in both events.

A rare (?) depiction I have never seen before neither in vases or sculpture (relief of statue).

As far as my Amphipolis post goes, I will add some more comments of the scientific community when I have translated them.

Best to all

Pauline
Πάντες άνθρωποι του ειδέναι ορέγονται φύσει
hiphys
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: "Say Cheese!"

Post by hiphys »

Really interesting! I didn't know it before! Thanks for posting! Can you post the entire inscription? I read something like 'Athenian', and afterward?
system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Re: "Say Cheese!"

Post by system1988 »

Thank you very much.

I am afraid that you will have to wait for the inscription because I will have to request it from the National Museum. I personaly cannot understand it due to the engraved letters being difficult to read. But the pose itself is unique!

Pauline
Πάντες άνθρωποι του ειδέναι ορέγονται φύσει