A trilogy of books

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

alexanders desciple

A trilogy of books

Post by alexanders desciple »

Hi Companions,Ive just finished reading an enjoyable trilogy of books by Valero Massimo Manfredi called:Child of A Dream
The Sands Of Amon and
The Ends of the earth.Although loosely based an fact I felt the story was very good, it was very human and painted Alexander and his times very well.But some of the data was close but a lot very much changed, Its about 1800 pages long.In the book he has girlfriends sexual relations,theres even Aristotle carrying out an investigation into philips death,at
lthough the book is fictional a lot of the theories are quite eye opening and make you think.The best part is that Alexander dies and rises to heaven he sees Bucephalus and A dog called Perticas and they are united in death as they are throughout the books.To be honest I wasnt to sure if Alexander had a dog.Its a good read Companions take a look if you dont like it then diss me LOLRegardsKenny
jan
Strategos (general)

Re: A trilogy of books

Post by jan »

Hi,My favorite line is in the green book. It is when Alexander remarks, "We are on our own." I thought that was a bit humorous reminding me of a birthday shared in California with a friend. This book is just too preciously pointed in many ways, and that line alone made me know that "it is a piece of cake" and it is all for the young.It's only fiction! But in this case, Manfredi leaves no doubt whatsoever about his purpose in writing...a movie! what else? So hopefully, it will be a good one.
jorgios
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Alexander's Dog

Post by jorgios »

if i am not mistaken, Plutarch mentions that Alexander had a dog, whom he "loved very much". or something to that effect.
Tre

Re: Alexander's Dog

Post by Tre »

His name was Peritas, the name for the Macedonian month of January, and when he died, Alexander named a city after him, in India.
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

Guess I'll eventually have to try reading Manfredi's books again. I started "Child of a Dream" twice and couldn't get past page 35. Found the narrative really dull and the characters not well developed. Perhaps it was partly in the translation?
gb

Post by gb »

Someone bought it for me in Dutch translation some years back but it certainly didn't make an impression. I do know I didn't like the style - and was about to blame the translator - but assuming Ruth didn't read the Dutch version there may very well be an underlying problem...
gahauser

Post by gahauser »

I had trouble with it as well, Ruth. I kept skipping paragraphs looking for something that caught my interest.
http://www.authorga.com
alexanders desciple

A well were all different,I liked it Fair enough a lot was not technically correct, But Alexander was portrayed in a gfood manner and the dog story was great.It was interesting the way all the characters were brought to the for,like Leonidas been crucified in the battlements of tyre.Mostly fiction but Lord of the Rings and Tolkien were fiction and people seemed to like that.Anyway sorry for the let down companions it just made a change from the actuall text and biographies aw we r all familiar with them. Happy new year CompanionsAlexes Desciple
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

I also hated the novels and couldn't get past more than a few pages at a time - I just posted a similar comment in a thread on a different forum. However, many people do like them. The books are extremely popular in many countries, and you will even find a positive review on this forum. Don't feel bad for enjoying the novels - it is all a matter of opinion, particularly when it comes to fiction. If we all had the same taste, then this forum would be a very boring place, as would the world. :-)Linda Ann
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

Perhaps because I am a writer and teach novel writing as well, (besides being a devoted Alexanderphile) and therefore I often look at the 'writing' style/character development/narrative flow etc, first. I just didn't like Manfredi's writing style and felt there were a lot of technical problems with it (from a writer's point of view) that bothered me so I couldn't get into the narrative at all. Also it depends on the individual reader's tastes. But I will try again one of these days as I have heard positive comments about the books.
alexanders desciple

Narrative and taste.We all have duffderent tastes, the books even taught me a thing or 2 so the author had a knowledge of his subject.Call me ignorant but I didnt know about his dog I dont know how that one got passed me.But the idea of Memnon rising from dead greeks at Granicus to cot 2 Macedonian throats before he made his escape,the adventures of Alexander in exile with his trusted companions,even Barsines son bearing a grudge and trying to assassinate Alexander made good reading.Not a biography but a good screenplay for a move.In addition I dont by the story that Alexander destroyed Zoastrian scribes at all.It is contrary to his nature his beleifs and the extraordinary tollerance towards culture and religion,i feel Alexander respected gods and rewligion they were very much a part of his persona,he embraced the gods as i believe he was part of them no matter what denomination they were.From Zeus to the Egyptian Ammon, oracles and seuthsayers they were all part of his fortitude call it superstision but i think he was supersticious and avoided insulting the god.The other so called atrocities, Tyre,Persepolis,Thebes,Philotus,Parmenio,Clietus and the Indian massacre were not religion motivated.On the zoastrian scribes Alexander deserves the benefut of the doubt.Happy new yearAlexes desciple
beausefaless
Hetairos (companion)

Death of Bucephalus & Peritas

Post by beausefaless »

The Parallel Lives by Plutarch
published in the Loeb Classical Library, 1919
After the battle with Porus, too, Bucephalas died,GÇö not at once, but some time afterwards,GÇö as most writers say, from wounds for which he was under treatment, but according to Onesicritus, from old age, having become quite worn out; for he was thirty years old when he died. His death grieved Alexander mightily, who felt that he had lost nothing less than a comrade and a friend; he also built a city in his memory on the banks of the Hydaspes and called it Bucephalia. It is said, too, that when he lost a dog also, named Peritas, which had been reared by him and was loved by him, he founded a city and gave it the dog's name. Sotion says he heard this from Potamon the Lesbian.
Alexander
(died B.C.E.)
By Plutarch
Written A.C.E.
Translated by John DrydenSome little time after the battle with Porus, Bucephalus died, as most of the authorities state, under cure of his wounds, or, as Onesicritus says, of fatigue and age, being thirty years old. Alexander was no less concerned at his death than if he had lost an old companion or an intimate friend, and built a city, which he named Bucephalia, in memory of him, on the bank of the river Hydaspes. He also, we are told, built another city, and called it after the name of a favourite dog, Peritas, which he had brought up himself. So Sotion assures us he was informed by Potamon of Lesbos.