books on alexander's military skill?

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

mike

books on alexander's military skill?

Post by mike »

does anyone know of any books that explain alexander's military campaigns and the science behind them?
thanks,
mike
NickWelman

Re: books on alexander's military skill?

Post by NickWelman »

Sikander has a number of them in his upcoming review list. Here is my summary:
Fuller - The Generalship of Alexanderpublished around 1960, but probably still the best survey of the topic.
Dodge - Alexanderpublished in 1890 (!!!), romantic, supposedly inaccurate according to modern standards, but not a bad book at all if you want to indulge in the legend
Engels - The Logistics of the Macedonian ArmyOK, little to do with battlefield tactics, but a fine overview of army organisation
Sekunda - Alexander the Great, Armies & CampaignsIt is OK for the pictures, not Sekunda's best work by far
Warry - Classic Conflicts/Warfare in the Classical WorldNot only about Alexander, but very useful if you want to follow development of ancient armies (same book, one without, one with illustrations)
Ashley - Macedonian EmpireAuthor intended this a an improvement of Fuller... Very sad study, inaccurate, no scholarship at all.. Never buy it.
I am probably forgetting something here and there, but I do not want to spoil Sikander's efforts.
Regards -
Nick
Tre

Post by Tre »

As an addition to Nick's reply, I would add:The Mask of Command by Keegan, the best short piece on Alexander as a military leader - but beware of some hitorical mistakes.Also anything by Hammond - he had a good military mind.
davej
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by davej »

I would agree with Nick, I thick Fuller is the best account, even though it is getting a bit old. Just a quick note though, do not place the credit to his work on Caesar, it is bit ordinary.
There are some fantastic journal articles also, Markles work on Sarissa is good AJA 1978 and 1977 I think. There is a recent article by a guy called Dickenson in the Australian Defense Force Academy's Journal of Battlefield technology 2000.
There is also an article by a guy called Rahe on the destruction of the Theben sacred band at Chaeronae that may interest you.
NickWelman

sorry for deleting the proper one too

Post by NickWelman »

Sorry. I thought it wise to delete that abusive "reading" comment. However, I cannot delete a 'root' posting without deleting its follow ups too. So a genuine follow up comment has gone lost. My sincere apologies.
Nick
John

Re: sorry for deleting the proper one too

Post by John »

Nick,
While your at it, possibly you could look 14 subjects down, and delete the abusive comment to Dr. Pal by "anita." Although the subject is "Digging for Alexander," I don't think you'll destroy any "roots" by deleting it.
John
NickWelman

Re: sorry for deleting the proper one too

Post by NickWelman »

At your service, John. I had not noticed that one. Though it appeared less abusive than the previous one, I think we should keep the Forum clean of abusing eachother.
Thanks,
Nick
Nicator
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Nicator »

Not to dismiss any of the aforementioned material...but let's not forget about the old classic primary source...Arrian! He was, afterall, a general who probably knew his subject better than all the authors mentioned to date.
later Nicator
Later Nicator

Thus, rain sodden and soaked, under darkness cloaked,
Alexander began, his grand plan, invoked...

The Epic of Alexander