Dancing with the Lion (novels on the young ATG)

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

sikander
Somatophylax

Re: Dancing with the Lion (novels on the young ATG)

Post by sikander »

Greetings Jeanne,

Congratulations on your news! I have a friend who is particularly eager for its release... I will let them know the new date.

Regards,
Sikander
Jeanne Reames
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by Jeanne Reames »

Moving back to this one. The novel has been out for a bit, and if folks are interested, there are several reviews on Goodreads, all from people I don't know, so don't worry, the deck isn't stacked with "friends and family." Ha. The current aggregate is a 4.32, nothing below 3 stars, but obviously, that will go up and down. So if you'd like to dip your toe in the water and see what others have said: On Goodreads.

Also, I do have a website, although it's in the process of some revision (as what you think you need and what you need varies).

At present, if you want the pretty Alex-Athenian-Agora model cover, that's available only for the ebook edition. If you want the statue edition, that's only in paperback. I'm trying to see if we can get that fixed so people can choose (especially for the paperback, as it's expensive, being a POD) what cover they'd like.
----
Dr. Jeanne Reames
Director, Ancient Mediterranean Studies
Graduate Studies Chair
University of Nebraska, Omaha
287 ASH; 6001 Dodge Street
Omaha NE 68182
http://jeannereames.net/cv.html
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Post by Alexias »

Jeanne Reames wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:45 am
At present, if you want the pretty Alex-Athenian-Agora model cover, that's available only for the ebook edition. If you want the statue edition, that's only in paperback. I'm trying to see if we can get that fixed so people can choose (especially for the paperback, as it's expensive, being a POD) what cover they'd like.
Um, I bought the paperback and I think the 'pretty Alex' cover is the one I got. The statue cover was available on Amazon, but that now seems to have changed to the 'pretty' cover.
Jeanne Reames

Post by Jeanne Reames »

Excellent. Glad to hear that. I emailed them yesterday evening, and they've already got it fixed, so that's wonderful news. And I'm glad you got the cover you wanted. Out of curiosity, when did you order it? Was it a pre-order or did you order it after it's official release on July 1? (I'm trying to get a handle on exactly who got the alternate cover and whether it's connected to pre-ordering.)
----
Dr. Jeanne Reames
Graduate Studies Chair
Omaha NE 68182
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Post by Alexias »

I ordered it from Riptide on the day of release (1 July) - kept forgetting before!
Jeanne Reames

Post by Jeanne Reames »

Thanks, Alexias. As noted, I'm trying to see if the only people who got the "wrong" cover (not the one they wanted) all pre-ordered. Right now, that's what it's looking like.

Anybody else order the hardcopy (not ebook), and if so, which cover did you get and when did you order it?
----
Dr. Jeanne Reames
Graduate Studies Chair
Omaha NE 68182
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Post by Alexias »

Purely out of interest in the size of the market out there, Jeanne, would you be able to say how many copies you have sold so far?
Jeanne Reames

Post by Jeanne Reames »

Have no idea, and won't until I get a royalty cheque. :-)
----
Dr. Jeanne Reames
Graduate Studies Chair
Omaha NE 68182
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Thanks to M Mann I learned that Dr. Reames novel Dancing with the Lion is available on Kindle. I have begun reading it. Ironically, I had been dwelling on the topic of Alexander and academia the past two days. I have just finished reading Chapter 1 to realize I should check Pothos.org which I have neglected in recent times.

Some very interesting posts here. This release may push me to finish my historical novel which needs a rewrite and and polishing! I enjoyed reading the interview with Michael Mann that Dr. Reames gave. Her advice on novel writing is intriguing. The audience for whom the novel is written is most important!

I will finish reading the novel before making any more comments. I agree with the idea that the more fiction books the better! I just never tire of well written books.
Jeanne Reames

Post by Jeanne Reames »

FWIW, there is also a second interview that I did with Patrick Garvey for Ancient Heroes, available here:
http://ancientheroes.net/blog/dancing-w ... -interview

They cover somewhat different questions. (Malcolm had seen Patrick's, so they didn't overlap.)
----
Dr. Jeanne Reames
Graduate Studies Chair
Omaha NE 68182