Historical sources- Amyntas

Discuss Alexander's generals, wives, lovers, family and enemies

Moderator: pothos moderators

Sandra
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Historical sources- Amyntas

Post by Sandra »

I have a question- from which sources I could gest best information about Amyntas (son of Perdiccas III)? I looked through Arrian, Curtius Rufus ( I own Penguin Classics editions of both) and Plutarch, but got almost nothing.
smittysmitty
Hetairos (companion)

Post by smittysmitty »

I don't know that there is a great deal of information forthcomming but you may try Diodorus Siculus and Justin, both of whom discuss Philip's early years to some degree.

cheers.
Sandra

Post by Sandra »

Thanks! I am more interested in Amyntas around Philip's death time and his relations with Alexander... Still almost nothing. Got something from Mary Renault, but almost nothing still...
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Sandra wrote:Thanks! I am more interested in Amyntas around Philip's death time and his relations with Alexander... Still almost nothing. Got something from Mary Renault, but almost nothing still...
Off the top of my head, I don't think there really is anything much about Amyntas at that time. I'd need to look into it thoroughly - but I suspect that the best info will come from Diodorus and/or Justin, who aren't averse to saying "who later married ... and who was later killed by ..." (or some such), even if they don't really say anything about those events in the correct chronological sequence.

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Sandra wrote:Thanks! I am more interested in Amyntas around Philip's death time and his relations with Alexander... Still almost nothing. Got something from Mary Renault, but almost nothing still...
Oh, I should add, that whatever Renault says (in "The Nature of Alexander") is probably all there is to be said, according to the sources (especially D. and J.).

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Am not absolutely certain, but I referred to Heckel's Who's Who in the Age of Alexander the Great and the following quotes seem to be the only direct references to Amyntas, with the exception of a couple of inscriptions (which I don't have).
Justin 7.5 Perdiccas, also, the brother of Alexander, was taken off by similar treachery. Horrible, indeed, was it, that children should have been deprived of life by a mother, to gratify her lust, whom a regard for those very children had saved from the punishment of her crimes. The murder of Perdiccas seemed the more atrocious from the circumstance that not even the prayers of his little son could procure him pity from his mother. Philip, for a long time, acted, not as king, but as guardian to this infant; but, when dangerous wars threatened, and it was too long to wait for the co-operation of a prince who was yet a child, he was forced by the people to take the government upon himself.

Curtius 6.9.17 (Alexander speaking) When my cousin Amyntas engineered a treacherous plot against me in Macedonia, it was Philotas who made himself his ally and his accomplice. It was Philotas who gave his sister in marriage to Attalus, the worst enemy I have ever had!

Curtius 6. 10.24 (Philotas speaking) Indeed, that kind of charge is as little damaging to me as the charge that Perdiccas' son, Amyntas, plotted against the king. As for my friendship with him, I am not reluctant to defend myself on that score - unless it was wrong for us to feel affection for a brother of the king. [25] If, however, someone of such elevated status also demanded respect, then tell me, please, am I on trial because I did not see into the future or is death also mandatory for the innocent friends of traitors? And if that is justice, why have I been left alive so long? If it is injustice, why then am I facing death at this very moment?

Photius 92 (Heckel has the reference as A.Succ 1.22, but I've likely included extraneous text.) Soon afterwards Cynane was put to death by Perdiccas and his brother Alcetas. This Cynane was the daughter of Philip, the father of Alexander, her mother being Eurydice, the wife of Amyntas, whom Alexander put to death just before he set out for Asia. This Amyntas was the son of Perdiccas the brother of Philip, so that he was the cousin of Alexander. Cynane brought her daughter Adea (afterwards called Eurydice) to Asia and offered her hand to Arrhidaeus.

Polyaenus. Stratagems of War 8.60 Cynane, the daughter of Philip was famous for her military knowledge: she conducted armies, and in the field charged at the head of them. In an engagement with the Illyrians, she with her own hand slew Caeria their queen; and with great slaughter defeated the Illyrian army. She married Amyntas, son of Perdiccas; and, soon after losing him, never would take a second husband. By Amyntas she had an only daughter named Eurydice: to whom she gave a military education, and instructed her in the science of war.

Justin 12.6 (Alexander after the death of Cleitus) He reflected, too, what remarks and odium he must have occasioned, as well in his own army as among the conquered nations; what fear and dislike of himself among his other friends; and how dismal and sad he had rendered his entertainment, appearing not less to be dreaded at a feast than when armed in the field of battle. Parmenio and Philotas, his cousin Amyntas, his murdered stepmother and brothers, with Attalus, Eurylochus, Pausanias, and other slaughtered nobles of Macedonia, presented themselves to his imagination.

Plutarch, On the Fortune or Virtue of Alexander. (Moralia 327 C-D) (3) Moreover, there were the trials of the campaign itself: storms, droughts, deep rivers, the heights of the Birdless Rock, the monstrous shapes of savage beasts, an uncivilized manner of life, the constant succession of petty kings and their repeated treachery. Then there were also the difficulties before his expedition: Greece was still gasping over Philip's wars; Thebes staggering to her feet after her fall, was shaking the dust of Chaeroneia from her arms, and Athens was stretching forth a helping hand to join with Thebes. All Macedonia was festering with revolt and looking toward Amyntas and the children of Aëropus; the Illyrians were again rebelling, and trouble with the Scythians was impending for their Macedonian neighbours, who were in the throes of political change; Persian gold flowed freely through the hands of the popular leaders everywhere, and helped to rouse the Peloponnesus; Philip's treasuries were bare of money, and in addition there was owing a loan of two hundred talents (as Onesicritus records).

Hmmmmm ... just realized that there are no references from Diodorus! :shock:

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
marcus
Somatophylax

Confirmation

Post by marcus »

amyntoros wrote:Hmmmmm ... just realized that there are no references from Diodorus! :shock:
There is, indeed, no reference to Amyntas son of Perdiccas in Diodorus (16 or 17).

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Sandra

Post by Sandra »

Thank you very much!