Hephaistion's

Discuss Alexander's generals, wives, lovers, family and enemies

Moderator: pothos moderators

susa

Hephaistion's

Post by susa »

HiAnyone can tell me in what collection/museum/whatever may be this Hephaistion's head? --- the first one in the following page :
http://www.livius.org/he-hg/hephaestion/hephaestion.htm
The caption says it was draw from 'In the Footsteps of...', but says no more.....Any idea?Thanks!
Thalestris-Alexandros

Re: Hephaistion's

Post by Thalestris-Alexandros »

Great link, Susa! Went there, read it all, perused the other site suggested in the part two, and I obtained substantial information of which I will discern the objective details fromt the subjective opinions. Thank you very much!!! And, no, I do not know from which museum the *first* bust is located. I only knew of the bust that is shown secondly. The *first* one I presumed was another ATG bust.
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

There is a photograph of this bust of Hephaistion on page 96 of "Alexander the Great, Son of the Gods" by Alan Fildes and Joann Fletcher. The acknowledgement's page for the photographs gives credit to the Art Archive in London, but also lists the Museo del Prado, Madrid. "In the Footsteps of Alexander the Great" also credits the photograph to Prado, Madrid, so this seems a likely place for the bust to be.Hope this helps.
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
susa

Post by susa »

Hello!Thank you! I don't have access to 'In the Footsteps', so it would be impossible for me to know where the heck that head is.As for being Alexander's head, it seems he wore his hair a little bit longer. So it surely is not Alex's portrait. But may really be Hephaistion's.Umm, he looked really nice, eh?:)susa
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

The bust is in the Prado. I can only assume that the photograph was supplied to the publisher by the Art Archive.All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK