Maps

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Maps

Post by ruthaki »

Could anyone help me? This is part of my on-going research for my novel. What kind of maps would they have used during Philip and Alexander's time? Would they have been marked out on skins, parchment or what? I'd very much appreciate any advice on this. Thanks.
jorgios
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: Maps

Post by jorgios »

I am guessing that they would not have used parchment/skins because this invetion was not used in the classical world until it was founded by one of the diadachoi kings of pergamum(not sure which one, however) during an blockade on trade with Egypt's Ptolemies. I guess they would have used papyrus or some other type of paper scroll, i could be wrong however.at your service,
Jorge
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

Thanks Jorgios, I meant "papyrus" and not Parchment as I knew it came later. I wonder what they would have used to mark it? Dyes? Inks of some kind?
(I have the character of Polyperchon showing Alexander's young son some of his Grandfather's maps
and I'm such a stickler for accuracy whenever possible.)
jorgios

hi ruthaki

Post by jorgios »

i found this excerpt, hope it helps a little for info on ancient ink:
Pliny and Dioscorides have given the formulas for the writing inks used by the Greek and Roman scribes immediately before and during their time. Pliny declares that the ink of the bookmakers was made of soot, charcoal and gum, although he does not state what fluid was employed to commingle them. He does, however, mention to an occasional use of some acid (vinegar) to give the ink a binding property on the papyrus. Dioscorides, however, specifies the proportions of this "soot" ink. Another formula alluded to by the same author calls for a half ounce each of copperas (blue) and ox-glue, with half pound of smoke black made from burned resin. He adds, "is a good application in cases of gangrene and is useful in scalds, if a little thickened and employed as a salve." De Vinne speaks of this as a "crude" receipt which will enable one to form a correct opinion of the quality of scientific knowledge then applied to medicine and the mechanical arts; also that these mixtures which are more like shoe blacking than writing fluid were used with immaterial modifications by the scribes of the dark ages.
aen

Post by aen »

Just a quickie:Can't recall my sources for this, but I recall reading that maps as we understand them were not yet in fashion. There was, however, an interesting innovation put forward around Alexander's time or perhaps slightly before (Xenephon's Anabasis, maybe?? - would need to check). Some bright spark had the notion of minting coins with rudimentary maps stamped on their rear, so as to provide paid soldiers with some rough idea of where they were.Must stress again, am hazy on this and open to correction.Laters. Aengus.
ScottOden

Post by ScottOden »

I've heard this, too, and as I understand it it's attributed to Memnon (some coins he ordered minted at Ephesus during the early thrust of Macedon into Asia Minor had maps in the background). Also, I keep running across an unattributed tidbit online that Memnon pioneered the use of strategic maps. Can't say for certain one way or the other, but it's interesting...Scott
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

Thanks everyone. You've been very helpful.
I have on my wall a map of early Macedon which is likely just an artist's rendition but it gives me a little idea of what a 'map' might have looked like at that time. I seem to remember reading somewhere that Alexander had map makers along with him and as he had engineers etc, this was quite possible.
It's just a little bit of my novel, but I wanted to be as accurate as I could. Thanks again.By the way, I had a nasty response from someone called "Hitler" which I have reported to Nick.
Has anyone else had a problem with this person? It came thru the porthos.org site to my email.
alejandro

Post by alejandro »

What about kausias?No, please donGÇÖt laugh (yet). Recently I read an (academic) article quoting ancient sources, and the thesis was that the interior of kausias (made of leather, possibly) were used as a means to transmit secret messages. An (untanned) kausia would be the GÇ£paperGÇ¥ and the person writing the message would use a GÇ£pencilGÇ¥ of a certain material (based on sulfate of copper, if I remember it well) to write on it. This writing was invisible to the eye, but the receiver would be able to retrieve the message by washing the kausia with water (though probably another substance is needed, otherwise an inconveniently timed rain would reveal the secret message!).I am not actually arguing that kausias were used as raw material for maps, but probably leather was.RegardsAlejandro
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

Miguel, What is a "Kausias"? I looked it up in the dictionary. Couldn't find an explanation and I have not heard that word before. Is it something that could have another name? Again, thanks for all the great tips. I appreciate it. Ruthaki
smittysmitty
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Kausia

Post by smittysmitty »

Hi Ruthaki,the 'kausia' was a traditional head dress for Macedonians ( hat ). It has been suggested it was worn specifically by the roayal pages by some researchers, but I see no reason to assume it was not worn by most Makedones, in general.
cheers!
alejandro

Post by alejandro »

Thank you for doing my homework, smittysmitty! ;)
susan
Somatophylax

Archontiko

Post by susan »

SmittySmittyI've heard back from my Macedonian contact about Archontiko - he says he's already finding out about it and will tell me more in January. I'll let you know then, if he gets back to me.Susan
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

Would that be the broad brimmed hat they wore for sun protection? If so, I should have known that because I have mentioned it a few times in my novel.Duh, probably a senior's moment. heheh..thanks for clarifying that.