how he looked

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

karla

how he looked

Post by karla »

hello,I was pondering over the different physical descriptions assigned to Alexander. Plutarch mentions blue/blue-gray eyes, do other historians agree wih this? I also have read somewhere tht his hair was blond? or maybe dark blonde?Also, more interesting I think, is his height. We know that he is described as short. But what is considered short for a Macedonian during his time? According to Renault, men in his army were big-built. Does that make him average in height by today's standards?..Lastly, what of his complexion? Light? Medium?Thanks in advance for any help...Karie
jorgios
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: how he looked

Post by jorgios »

Well, i always assumed from the Pompei Mosaic that he had an auburn to medium brown colored hair. Judging from this detail, and also the part of the world that he was from, i find it doubtful that he had the color of hair that he is often romantically portrayed with(that is light blonde). I wouldnt totally rule out a shade of dirty blonde at all, but once again; golden hair seems a bit far-fetched. The sources do mention that he was "fair"* (english translation), so whatever that means to you. His hair is also described as "like a lion" i believe as well. This may refer to color, or it may refer to the typical view of Alexander's manelike hair that certainly gave him a lion-like appearance.Considering that Alexander's father was short, i assumed that he was as well. No more than 5'6 at the most i would guess. But that is just a guess, nothing more.
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

Plutarch describes his complexion as ruddy
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.
chris

Post by chris »

HiHis father was, I believe, 5feet 2inches, although, I think it's "a fact" that sons are always taller than their mothers? I like to imagine ATG to be about 5 foot 4 inches, with reddish brown hair, wiry and athletic, and as hard as nails, with the constitution of an ox. The very opposite of Di Caprio - a young Pacino maybe?Chris
DimitriosPolirkekes

Post by DimitriosPolirkekes »

with reddish brown hair, wiry and athletic, and as hard as nails, with the constitution of an ox. I agree with the light brownish reddish hair description but he was described more as robust musclar and powerfully built as opposed to wirey. Was also descibed as having one blue eye and one brown eye. I agree that Di Capria is far to much of a girly type to play Alexander.
alexanders desciple

Post by alexanders desciple »

Too many people discounting Decaprio,its fair to say he has made some rubbish and appeared little boyish.However in The Gangs Of New York, he looked much more mature and serious,Decaprio will fit Alexander like a glove,just watch this space.Too much emphasis put on farrel i suppose because its out first but I would say dont be so dismisive towards Decaprio,the movies been on the go for years and its said the best is always worth the wait.
alexanders desciple

Too many people discounting Decaprio,its fair to say he has made some rubbish and appeared little boyish.However in The Gangs Of New York, he looked much more mature and serious,Decaprio will fit Alexander like a glove,just watch this space.Too much emphasis put on farrel i suppose because its out first but I would say dont be so dismisive towards Decaprio,the movies been on the go for years and its said the best is always worth the wait.
alexanders desciple

davej

Post by davej »

Andrew Stewart has a great chapter in his book just on Alexander's appearnence. He units all of the source materil to show just how confussing and conflicting the accounts are. Well worth a look.
davej

Post by davej »

Andrew Stewart has a great chapter in his book just on Alexander's appearnence. He units all of the source materil to show just how confussing and conflicting the accounts are. Well worth a look.
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

I posted a reply earlier but it didn't go thru. Anyway, I've seen many of the busts of Alexander from his youth to the later ones and though they are stylized it gives you an idea of his countenance. The northern people are usually fair with blonde or coppery hair. He would surely be of a 'ruddy' or tanned complexion living in that climate and being outdoors most of the time. I saw the cuirass and skeleton attributed to Philip II and he was definitely short of stature and small-built. I'd imagine A. to be small (maybe 5'6 - no more,) and a compact, light build, very athletic and sturdy. In my 'search for Alexander' I once saw a young man in the Thessaloniki train station who I thought might be a dead-ringer: described as I have Alex. I also so another man this summer in Thassos, who looked exactly like the profile on the coins except he was much taller than I'd imagine Alexander to be but had that fair complexion, tawny-coloured curly mane of hair, and the exact profile. Wow! My friend and I thought that perhaps the talent scouts for the Alex. movie ought to have been notified!
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Of course, some of us don't consider 5'6" to be 'short'... :-)All the bestMarcus
(5'6" at the last count...)
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
chris

Post by chris »

Hi MarcusWell said. I'm sure no-one suggested that to ATG either - maybe once. Chris
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Maybe *that* was what the argument with Cleitus was really about! :-)Marcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
yiannis
Hetairos (companion)