What is wrong with Slavic invasion theories

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

Pasko

What is wrong with Slavic invasion theories

Post by Pasko »

I am not aware of any primary source where you can find it on internet.But you can try searching for:Procopius ,John Malalas,John of Ephesus,Constantine Porphyrogenitus ,Strabo's Geography,Chronicle of Michael the Syrian, Jacobite Patriarch of Antioch,Chronicle of Monemvasia .
What are you reffering is for 4 and 5 Century B.C.
I am dealing with 3 up to 8 century A.D. in my post.
I am aware of so caled Pagan traditions during the
not-baptised days and is my opinion that these traditions have survived only because church have in
past less theocratical power in not-baptised days.
Of corse church will always say that these are not pagan traditions,but with recent findings on the custom and religion of Macedonians that is not true.
But maybe church have some point in that-because these pagan customs have with time become part of christian customs-they have been fitted in the structure and with time become part of the structure.
matz
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: What is wrong with Slavic invasion theories

Post by matz »

Thanks muchly for the info, it is very helpful. I did think for a moment that you were referring to "a manuscript" rather than the sources you mentioned.The sites I mentioned, as well as Stybera, Astibo, Vinitsa Fortress, Skupi etc. have existed in continuation from the antiquity (some even from neolitic period) until 4th, 5th, 6th AD and some even into the medieval period. Perhaps what you're suggesting is that there are no new settlements that could be identiifed as distinctly "slavic" built by the supposed immigrants in the 3rd to 6th century and later.I agree with you that most of the pre-christian customs etc have been incorporated into the christian practise, but I disagree that it would have been due to lack of church authority. I'd say that they were deeply rooted into the people's tradition and culture i.e. collective memory. How else can the large number of folk lore about Alexander and Filip in the Macedonian folklore be explained? How can we explain that in the anthology of Miladinov brothers compiled in the 19th century, the first in the section Predania (folklore handed down through generations) is the lore about Alexander of Macedon?Regards,
Matz
jorgios
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by jorgios »

you said:"The sites I mentioned, as well as Stybera, Astibo, Vinitsa Fortress, Skupi etc. have existed in continuation from the antiquity (some even from neolitic period) until 4th, 5th, 6th AD and some even into the medieval period. Perhaps what you're suggesting is that there are no new settlements that could be identiifed as distinctly "slavic" built by the supposed immigrants in the 3rd to 6th century and later."Indeed there were no disticnly slavic settlements built. Compared to the inhabitants of the Byzantine Empire, the slavs were a very primitive pastoral people. Constantine Poryphrenitus mentions that they destroyed entire cities(such as Skupi, Butelion) and settled their cattle there.
stavros

Post by stavros »

what has this got to do with alexander the ancient greek? your on the wrong website.
smittysmitty
Hetairos (companion)

Post by smittysmitty »

For what it's worth! I've never heard of "Alexander
the Ancient Greek".I guess this will get all kinds of responses, but after reading the forum, not much else of interest going on and I feel a need to write something, hehe.
cheers!
Pasko

Post by Pasko »

I disagree that it would have been due to lack of church authority.
It is my opinion regarding the time when these events are-mostly in non-baptised days,and of course it is part of wider tradition.
---My post have been in constructive way to aproach one question with some data what will be available
in near future,and are related to the descendant of Alexander3-Alexander 4 and his mother Roxana.
stavros

Post by stavros »

the ancient macedionian, hence greek. so obvious, your response was unecassary. cheers.