Why did Alexander go to Egypt?

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

Annemiek

Why did Alexander go to Egypt?

Post by Annemiek »

I was wondering about the reasons for Alexander to go the Egypt.
beausefaless
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Why did Alexander go to Egypt?

Post by beausefaless »

Egypt was offering a great tourist program at that period of their history. The add that circulated read: "To all, please come down to Egypt and help us get rid of these ill mannered uncouth sleazy Persians, by doing so the Egyptian Tour Company will be facilitating endless tour guides of the valley of the kings and the pyramids of Giza and last but not least we assure you that virgins do not exist in this wonderland of beauty". Well after the long siege at Tyre and then Gaza Alexander asked his men how about a little R&R of coarse his men were ecstatic with joy and the rest was history.
jorgios
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Napoleon....

Post by jorgios »

Napoleon claimed it was the greatest and most brilliant PR trip in history.any thoughts?
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Re: Napoleon....

Post by ruthaki »

Whatever reasons he had for going there, he obviously accomplished it and had a good time seeing around the country while he was at it.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

He he! Nice one, Andrew.Of course, the most crucial reason was that it would have been stupid *not* to go to Egypt - terrifically wealthy country, after all. M
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Kuringlas

Post by Kuringlas »

To go to Egypt, would be to secure all/ most ports to the Mediterranean that the Persians held (or had access to) at that time. Thus cutting any line of access by the persians to the mediterranean. To me its a logical approach. If my weakness was my navy, then secure all the ports.
maciek
Hetairos (companion)

Post by maciek »

Af course I'm sure all those reasons You've mentioned were right. His strategy in Asia Minor was to cut off the persian feet from their land bases. Second was that Egipt was still rich but also they hated persians so it was easiest of his campaigns. He knew how the egiptian people will react on his comming. In such conditions it was the best place to rest after such fast and succesfull campaign. But also before final solution - battle with main army of Persian king.Regards
Maciek
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

However, I'm not sure that Egypt really had any decent ports at the time - hence the foundation of Alexandria. Also, by the time Alexander had sorted out Tyre the Phoenicians had all come over to him and the Persian seapower was effectively ended already. Whether or not Alexander took Egypt wasn't a big deal as far as denying the Persian navy its ports was concerned.All the bestMArcus
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
maciek
Hetairos (companion)

Post by maciek »

HI Marcus!
I think so too that it wasn't a primary objective there for him, but still leaving whole Egipt in Persian hands could be a little dangerouse - they could make approvisations from that. Well I believe that it was briliant idea to go there and rest knowing that egiptians will support him. Maybe one more objective was that he thought about the title pharao which made him closer to title god. All this made his more unique in eyes of ordinary people and helped in campaign.Best regards
Maciek
beausefaless
Hetairos (companion)

Post by beausefaless »

My my, Marcus, Jorgios, and "ruthaki",I was wondering if I would be opening a bit of a quagmire with a couple of people by having fun with this question even though there was a very small hint of truth to what I was saying, oh well, me and my BIG mouth!
smittysmitty
Hetairos (companion)

Post by smittysmitty »

Hi all,
apart from the obvious economic and military benefits gained through the taking of Egypt, we cant forget the oracle of ammon. After all, Apollo's response to Philip (and presumably applicable to his son)was that Ammon should be revered above all deities!
just my thoughtscheers!
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

You just keep that big mouth spouting, Andrew! :-)It made me laugh, so truth or not in what you said, it was worth saying...Marcus
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

And what about his interest in Nektenabo (who had visited Philip asking for help) and the question of his paternity for which he made the gruelling trip over the desert to the oracle of Amon. I think he had plenty of good reasons for being there besides the obvious strategical ones.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Ah, well, Ruth, it depends on how one views these things. I'm less inclined to hold much credence with any particular interest in Nekhtanebo, and I certainly don't think that would have been sufficient to make Alexander go to Egypt. Having gone there for strategic reasons, of course, he could satisfy his curiosity. As far as the paternity issue is concerned... as we don't know for sure what Alexander *really* asked the oracle, we can only surmise... but all the same I don't think a desire to go to Siwa is sufficient to make him go to Egypt, unless he was going there anyway.Ultimately, of course, I might be completely wrong! :-)All the bestMarcus
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Nicator
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Nicator »

True, but I would surmise that Egypt was crucial to have if for nothing else, it secured a vulnerable Persain held (weakly) flank. Beyond that, I wonder how much the influence of Philips childhood captivity while in the Theban military campaigning in Egypt had to do with it? One can only speculate.later Nicator
Later Nicator

Thus, rain sodden and soaked, under darkness cloaked,
Alexander began, his grand plan, invoked...

The Epic of Alexander