Alexander's supposed

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

stavros

ITS ALL GREEK TO ME?

Post by stavros »

ignore the anti-greek posts. they can beg all they like, macedonia was and always will be greek. ive been to macedonia in greece and seen it with my own eyes. Its all greek to me! fyromians are beggers and liars, with no proof.kind regards,Stavros the Greek.
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Does it matter?

Post by marcus »

I don't know whether it's so much defending homosexuality, as defending a historical and rational approach to the whole thing.M
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
xxx

Post by xxx »

It is quite clear in the sources Alexander did have at least one male lover, the eunuch Bagoas. While it is never explicitly stated, later writers such as Arrian refer to Hephaistion as Alexander's eromenos.Ancient Macedonians could give a rat's behind about your modern views on his sexuality. For the record he was bisexual, which was perfectly normal for his time. They did not even have a term for homosexual. Rather, there were men who preferred the company of men exclusively, as there would have been men who preferred the company of women exclusively. You see, they did not have the ridiculous constraints of modern organized religion telling them what was normal sexuality and who they should hate. They expressed themselves as they felt like it, and the roles were all about power - the one with the higher social status was the erastes, the penetrator, and the eumenos, the penetrated. Now rather than sounding uninformed go read Curtius about Bagoas, and then take out a copy of DoverGÇÖs Greek Homosexuality so you will understand what it was all about. And get over yourself GÇô your ranting that Alexander had to be Hetero is no better than you complaining about homosexuals saying he was gay.Excellent post Marcus!
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Thanks, Tre! Always nice to be complimented.(I like your term "rat's behind" - I'm going to remember that for future use ...) :-)All the bestMarcus
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Nax

Tre, Thalestris, Marcus et al

Post by Nax »

YEEEHAWWWW- you tell it!!
I'm sick to death of the bulls**t whining from the anti-gay crowd. At least the pro-gay crowd has a semi-POINT. Man, I think every time someone posts a whizzle about how Alexander wasn't "gay" the moderators should just add the link to Jeanne's article. Yeah, I know it ain't perfect, like someone said, but its better than dragging this out time after time. Like, get OVER it. It's pointless.As to gays not being able to lead, HAHAHAHAH man have any of these guys BEEN in the military??? Gays've always served and are serving now, from enlisted to officers and doin' fine. The anti-crowd can't "get" that who you have sex with has NOTHING to do with any of your other abilities? Most people beyond the age of 2 with any brains can figure THAT out!!!!!! Okay- end of rant and before the whiners start, no I'm not gay- I just don't care what consenting adult someone has sex with, just as long as they don't do it in my back yard.
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Tre, Thalestris, Marcus et al

Post by marcus »

Hi Nax,A heartfelt post! :-) Yes, I totally agree with you. Good idea about merely posting a link to Jeanne's article, although I bet that wouldn't stop the 'debate'.We should close this thread now ... and hope it doesn't recur.All the bestMarcus
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Molossos

Re: ITS ALL GREEK TO ME?

Post by Molossos »

I thought that this was a forum dedicated to one of the most brilliant personalities and military commanders of mankind and not about gay idols. You can have your forum and website as you like it though. The fact that Plutarch clearly states Alexander's dislike towards homosexuality is enough for me, although some supposed illiterate pseudo-researchers (who seem not to know Plutarch for instance) insist on their illusionary images of the greatest Greek ever, it's their problem.Hairete
uni

Post by uni »

I think it does matter
I think it shows Alex had ppl who cared about him. As silly as that sounds with him taking over the world and all; but I think its important. It shows hes feelings were going to other things besides his mission. That he had support emtionally and there were ppl who knew him personally.I really don't care about his sexuality...thats not the point. It just shows he did indeed have relationships whether they were men or women.