needed images

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

Federico

needed images

Post by Federico »

Hi all, guys, I want to have your advice about where on the net can I find some good images (I mean drawings, reconstructions etc...) depicting Macedonian and Successors' soldiers. I'm going to buy some Ospreys and Nick Sekunda's books, but for now I would like to have the possibility to find something on the internet. I found a poor number of images on Hellas-net and at other sites, but I want something more. Many thanks, friends.
Phobos ka+¼ Deimos
Federico
Terratheon

Re: needed images

Post by Terratheon »

Below are some military miniature sites which give photographs of their Macedonian and Successor military figurines.
http://tetrad.stanford.edu/list/dbm-lis ... ander1.htm
Federico

Post by Federico »

I thank you, Terratheon. I checked these sites. However, I'm a wargamer, so I know miniatures. I was more interested in drawings like those by Angus McBride and others.
Phobos ka+¼ Deimos
Federico
davej
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by davej »

Poli charein and Ciao Frederico,
I have meant to reply to your origin posting what if, but alas time is short when you work full time and have two child under two yers old. I am impressed with the way you have argued, even more so considering your age. More power to you.
Now as for your question iif Alexander had have headed west instead of east i do not think the Romans would have been able to have withstood the onslaught of his 334BC army. Based on the fact that in the 330's Rome had just finished fighting aganst Latium and several other neighbours. I also believe that another Alexander from Epirus defeated the Romans in a pitched battle around 335/334BC. Please forgive me I am well out of my area of expertese, I am a Greek scholar.
I think it is a little unfair to pitch Alexander against the might of the later Republican armies of Pompey or Caesar or for that matter against Paulus. It is fun to consider waht would happen "if only". I think if Alexnader had have gone west instead of east he would have run out of money. He already had huge debts before setting (a fact often forgotten) he could not have afforded to spend more then a year conquering Rome. He needed the money from Persia to continue campaigning. I suspect that the years of warfare and the drain on Macedonian manpower would have meant that an invassion by Alexander in the 320s would have resulted ina costly campaign, a bit like Hannibal vs Rome. The main strength of Rome through out the ages is not that they had the best armies, they just kept at it. The Roman's determiantion and ability to bounce back after having the crap kicked out of them was unbelievable.
Would Alexader have won YES but why would he bother. He had bigger fish to fry first. Rome was a small regional power at that stage why bother. Not taking anything away from the might and power of the later Roman empire.
Regards
Dave.
Federico

Post by Federico »

Soi ka+¼ to so kallisto genei eudaimonia d+¿ eutychia osi, ho Dave!You're perfectly right, Alexander would have been winner in 334 or 320 BC. However my "what if" is collocated in later times (294/3 BC), when a 60 years old king, Alexander, decided after years of war (included an hypothetical conquest of Carthage), to conquer the last piece of the civilized world, Rome. At this time, as I claimed in my first posting, Rome was not so weak, according to sources and modern studies the future Aeterna Urbs could afford a huge number of soldier (200-300,000). This is clearly acceptable because only some decades later, already in the first Punic War then in the Second, Rome (Latin allies and municipia included) had an infinite reserve of men (500,000 or more!). However I'm sure the old Alexander would have been the winner, in the end, as I stated at the conclusion of my first post. I never spoke of Alexander struggling against later repubblican armies! As for the lack of time of Alexander we are both of the same opinion. This is the reason 'cause I speak of 290 BC and of a old Alexander. I think Rome was not only determinated, but she had the most effective war machine. Rome had no forerunner in her 3 lines deployment, in her combination of medium (Hastati, Principes), heavy (Triarii) and Light infantry or Skirmishers (funditores, speculatores, velites, sagittarii, roarii, etc.). Rome joined great flexibility to the possibility to build a solid front line. A brand new style.
Phobos ka+¼ Deimos
Federico
davej
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by davej »

Caio Frederico,
I am sorry I may have not have answered your question with all the parrameters in mind. I do not think Alexander would have been able to have taken Rome as an old man. I think Alexander's success was based on his bravardo and self assuredness.
If he had not already been killed in the field, his alcohol induced brain damage and liver damage would have made him too incoherent to have commanded anything but a small force.
Another factor, after years of campaigning in Asia most of his good troops would be dead or retired or invalid. Could he rely on the Greeks (I do not think so), could he count on the Persian cadets (yeah right). Basically I think Alexanders empire would desperse nearly as quickly as he gained it. That is just my opinion. The difference between Rome and Alexander, Alexander had only one head, Rome many great generals (and some really bad ones too).
PS. How do you rates Ferrari's chances in the GP this year?
I think the decision to run last years car was a poor one

Regards
Dave
Federico

Post by Federico »

Maybe Alexander would have forgotten his past abitudes. He lives in Eastern way and followes Persian fashion now. However the image of Alexander out of mind for alchool and leaving the world for Hepatic cirrhosis, is not so strange. As for Ferrari, I'm convinced that our car still hasn't competitors. I heard about the new car of Flavio Briatore, but it has to demonstrate its effectiveness with facts. BMW, Mc Laren and others... I think they've no chance. My opinion about last years Ferrari is good, even if I admit that the results are strictly related to Schumacher's skill.
Phobos ka+¼ Deimos
Federico