Alexander in Jerusalem

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

john1567

Re: Alexander in Jerusalem

Post by john1567 »

At first after reading, I was fully disagree with this claim. The reason was a map. Look at the map I have attached. From Jerusalem, Cairo is the nearest area which was traveled by Alexander. I thought people always try to use great person's name as their kids' name, this can explain why "Alexander" became a common Jewish name.

Map source: Wiki travel map of Alexander

On the contrary, the claim that Alexander entered in Jerusalem have been there in wikipedia , although with only one reference from Josephus . But after reading more on Josephus, I can't completely through away this claim.

Final conclusion: most probably they met with Alexander in Jerusalem but his main destination was Cairo. That's why, historians didn't mention much about his Jerusalem incident.
Attachments
alexander.png
alexander.png (208.09 KiB) Viewed 1647 times
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Post by Alexias »

Your map doesn't really prove anything, I'm afraid. You are assuming that Alexander visited either city and that his route was direct. In Alexander's era, neither Jerusalem or Cairo were as important as they are now. It is possible that he made a brief visit to either city, but that is unprovable. His main focus was securing the coast, as that was his route into Egypt. An army could only enter Egypt along the coast via Pelusium, supported by a fleet bringing water as they passed through the desert. From Pelusium, the army would have gone south along the eastern arm of the Nile delta to Memphis. Alexander may have stopped off at Cairo along the way.

On his way back from Egypt in 331 BC, Alexander would have followed the same route. However, when he moved away from the coast towards Damascus, this map from livius.org would seem to indicate that a Persian royal road passed through Jerusalem.

http://www.livius.org/pictures/a/maps/t ... ire-roads/

So it is possible that Alexander and his army stopped off at Jerusalem, but as there were no major engagements or sieges during the first half of this year, it is not mentioned in the sources.

On the other hand, there was an important trade route from Gaza to Petra, so did Alexander go this way?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... ROUTES.png
john1567

Post by john1567 »

Alexias wrote:Your map doesn't really prove anything, I'm afraid. You are assuming that Alexander visited either city and that his route was direct. In Alexander's era, neither Jerusalem or Cairo were as important as they are now. It is possible that he made a brief visit to either city, but that is unprovable. His main focus was securing the coast, as that was his route into Egypt. An army could only enter Egypt along the coast via Pelusium, supported by a fleet bringing water as they passed through the desert. From Pelusium, the army would have gone south along the eastern arm of the Nile delta to Memphis. Alexander may have stopped off at Cairo along the way.

On his way back from Egypt in 331 BC, Alexander would have followed the same route. However, when he moved away from the coast towards Damascus, this map from livius.org would seem to indicate that a Persian royal road passed through Jerusalem.

http://www.livius.org/pictures/a/maps/t ... ire-roads/

So it is possible that Alexander and his army stopped off at Jerusalem, but as there were no major engagements or sieges during the first half of this year, it is not mentioned in the sources.

On the other hand, there was an important trade route from Gaza to Petra, so did Alexander go this way?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... ROUTES.png
Thanks for in-depth analysis!! Most probably you are right!