Lecture

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Lecture

Post by system1988 »

Tonight I attended a lecture by Ms Kottaridou. ( Museum of Cicladic Art ) The issue was the last excavations in the Hellenistic Kindoms all over Asia. God the extraordinary things they have been discovered in all Alexandrias in Asia and in the Emirates ... GOD !Among other things she said about the King Seleucos and how he transferred the macedonian πους of the palace of Aigai in all the palaces of his Kingdom ..but i realise that i will confuse you with my poor english.
I hope to have a copy( ? ) or at last photos ...
P.S It had been discovered a greek temple at Oxus build the time Alexander was there.
Πάντες άνθρωποι του ειδέναι ορέγονται φύσει
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Re: Lecture

Post by agesilaos »

By 'pous' - foot - do you mean the floorplan (which can be footprint in English) or the measurement? Surely, the former; thanks for photo by the way...
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.
system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Re:i wish you all were there !

Post by system1988 »

Thank you for your comment and congratulations for the effort to understand me.I am embarrassed for this ,but i must tell you whatever i remember : Ms Kottaridou ( one of the most prominent archaeologists globaly in matter of ancient Macedonia) was a guest in the museum , so no copies no photo, no video.We must wait the publication.
An enormous picture of Philip ( The little head of Vergina ) decorated the wall behind her : 'He -she said- is my loved one- and the more we continue learning about him the more we admire him He also was GREAT." In summary :
1) Philip was very educated-Pythagorian ( golden mean in his palace o Aigai ) ( Kottaridou studies the palace for a long time )
2)Alexander s 49 cities were discovered and they give- at this very moment -abundant and very interesting items. (photos)
3) the Hellenistic Kingdoms create everything ( specialy Antiochia ,but the glory went to Alexandria ) were louxurious civilized, Rome was a provincial town in comparison.
4) King Seleukos create cities like those in Macedonia ( comparison of photos-astonishing the likeness ) and he give them the same names and the same πους ( Agesilaos found the right word )
5 )In those hellenistic kingdoms an enormous integration of the population began till the 7 century AD.In the internetic museum at Pella (in construction ) they will be given the names of famous personaties which are the fruit of this incredible amagalma. Ms Kottaridou confessed that the name of Christ crossed her mind.
6 ) According Ms Kottaridou the marriages at Susa were the the intent of Alexander of fusing the people and the beginning of the idea Hellenistic Kingdoms. ( Complicated )
7) Items o Alexander days were discovered in China.
8) Most of the cities Alexander build are situated in the route of silk
9) In the Hellenistic Kingdoms the citizens recognised themselves as citizens of THAT city .Because they were of different nationalities they recognise them selfs ONLY in the category of citizen of Antiochia, Alexandria ,Laodichia and so on.The testimony are the inscriptions of their tombs:" hi stranger, Kriton Antiocheus (of the city of Antiochia ) lies in this tomb"
10 ) An enormous amagalma of deities = art
11 ) We saw excellent houses -mosaics, painted walls like Pompei of different hellenistic cities
12 )The majority of people of Giudea spoke greek and Gallilea had a theatre! ( photo )

If something sounds wrong or confusing its me to blame of course, and not Ms Kottaridou.Also i failed to mention many ,many things.
Sorry for the english again
Pauline
Πάντες άνθρωποι του ειδέναι ορέγονται φύσει
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Well, the only questions are is when for the book and why didn't someone mail me an air ticket to be there?? Very remiss....
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
delos13
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by delos13 »

Very interesting information, thank you, system1988.