Macedonian army rotation

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

Hypaspist
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Macedonian army rotation

Post by Hypaspist »

Hi!

I don't know if you guys remember me, but I have a new account, my former username being, "Robbie". I got logged out and fell short of retrieving my password, whereupon I had to recreate an account.

I posted a couple of threads, some of them having to do with Alxander's eye color, Lysippos bust of Alex, and the battle of Pandosia. I've been away for a while, but now I'm back. Oh, almost forgot, we also had some epic and "infamous bouts" in the excellent and ceaselessly interesting thread Marcus posted, "What if Alexander had lived". :wink: :wink:

Thought I'd bring up an interesting subject today; MUTATIO ORDINIS. Ring a bell? It's a roman term used to describe the Roman infantry rotation. Remember the scenen in the HBO series "ROME", at the beginning of episode 1, where the romans rotated the soldiers; each soldier in the first rank stepped aside and fell back to the end of the line, thus replenishing the files with fresh men at the front. And they did it at the cue of a whistle. Simply amazing and extremely elegant. I'm not that big a fan of the romans, but that scene just knocks me over every time I see it.

1. I read somewhere that the greeks started this rotation system? Also read that there is hardly any evidence that the romans actually did use this rotation system, also if they did use it, it was probably not during the actual battle, but somewhere in between the breaks/fall-backs?? (Now, I know about the principles, triarii, and the hastati, and their battle lines but that's another story.)
What's your take on this??

2. Now to the more interesting question: did Alexander's Macedonian army use any kind of rotation system? Perhaps the phalangites? Surely the macedonians had to have some kind of replenish-system afield? I know that, as far as the phalanx goes, if one man died, another stepped up to fill the gap; also an immensely elegant and ingenious system.

Atb,
Robbie
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Re: Macedonian army rotation

Post by agesilaos »

Ther sort of in battle rotation described would be impossible for anyone armed with a sarissa and fighting on a frontage of half a yard; the Romans would only be armed with their gladii, having thrown their pila. To attempt it in a phalanx would immediately negate that formation's advantage, which is the reach of the sarissa, the enemy simply cannot get into combat range with the phalangite. In order to manouevre sarissai would have to be 'shouldered'. A by product of keeping the enemy at longe range would be an appreciable diminution in the fatigue accrued by the fighting front ranks, much of which is related to combat stress rather than physical fatigue; the Roman is right up with the enemy covered in his blood and innards, in immediate danger of meeting a similar end, this is 'combat stress'; the phalangite is barely within spitting distance as he hammers his long pointed stick at the distant foe. Livy or Polybios, which escapes me describe the horror of the Greeks when they saw the wounds inflicted by the gladius hispaniensis (probably Livy, I did it as an unseen once), if this is not just Roman propaganda it would demonstrate a general distancing of the troops from the grim realities of war.

The earlier 'hoplite' phalanx was much more akin to the Roman experience, although with the emphasis on spear-play and a significantly secondary role for the sword; but here the crux was on compactness and formation which, again would not allow for the fighting relief of the front rank. According to Polybios the Romans fought on double the frontage of a phalangite, six feet as opposed to three (or 18 inches in 'synaspismos' aka 'pyknosis') this allowed room for relief from the rear, as shown in 'Rome'. It would also increase the stress on the legionary, as he is fighting as an individual, the phalangite is more analogous to a crew served weapon. Modern studies, which are not therefore entirely analogous show that in a squad of ten men only three will actually aim at the enemy and pull the trigger! Weapons' crews, however do not suffer this unwillingness to kill as they form a mutually supporting and validating group.
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.
Hypaspist

Post by Hypaspist »

Thank you agesilaos

I see your point. Naturally, I would never think the macedonians rotated in the same manner; like you said, it would be impossible. Was just wondering if they could've done something similar in a different way.

You're probably right when you said it's perhaps part of roman propaganda, the accounts of terrible wounds inflicted and all. I don't think the romans would've had much time to hack and slash away at the limbs, like in some ridiculous video game. Probably, the normal thrusts and stabbing is what was executed against the phalangites.
Xenophon
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Xenophon »

Hhhh...mmm..mm. Some small corrections and further explanation may help here. The Roman 'rotation' was not, so far as we know, of ranks on the command of a whistle or whatever - if you think about it for a minute and imagine a legionary fighting in the front rank. He hears a whistle blast. Was it his Centurion? The neighbouring one? Someone else? And anyway he can't just break off at will from his skillful opponent.....any attempt to do so will bring instant death......All rather impractical.

This Roman rotation was of whole lines. They famously formed up in three lines (triplex acies). Livy gives us a detailed explanation at VIII.3-14. If the front line (Hastati) was unable to prevail, it fell back between intervals in the second line (Principes), who closed up and attacked. If this in turn was unsuccessful, they too fell back between the gaps in the third line of veterans and older men who in their turn closed up and attacked. Incidently these men were armed with spears for close combat, rather than the throwing weapons of the first two lines [hence the Roman adage : "to have come to the triarii" to describe a desperate situation]

To understand this further, we need to step back a little. If you have ever watched a boxing, wrestling or martial arts match, you will have observed that it is broken into a number of distinct rounds of several minutes duration - always less than 10 minutes. This is because the stress and fatigue of combat rapidly exhaust a proponent, who then needs to 'get their breath back'. We can see this phenomenon in modern riots too, when a mob will surge forward in a line or groups, fight for a number of minutes and then spontaneously break apart - there are many examples on YouTube.

An ancient battle must have been similar, so that we have - in an extreme instance- a series of flurries of combat, broken apart by a number of intervals of 'rest'. It is during these breaks that one Roman line could withdraw through another.
( In fact, the number of 'rounds' might vary, often being zero, with one side breaking and running before contact, or just one, with one side collapsing after the first attack )

The next thing we need to bear in mind is that Greek hoplites, Macedonians and their successors, and Romans all employed 'drill', whereby they could change formation, extend their line etc. From Xenophon's writings it is possible to reconstruct hoplite drill, which was fairly simple. A column of hoplites would deploy for battle by files, let us say of typically eight deep. Each file marched up beside the one to its right, occupying 3 ft or so frontage and leaving a 3 ft gap. Once the phalanx formed, they sang a 'battle hymn' ( paean), took up their shields and then advanced. When they reached 100-200 yards from the enemy, skirmishing light troops were recalled, and filtered through the phalanx, still in open order. Once this was done, the half-file leaders led the rear half up to form close order 4 ranks deep, each man occupying 3 ft frontage, and the line went forward. When contact with the enemy was imminent, an ululating battle-cry went up, and with courage steeled, the phalanx attacked, often at the run. In the Greek system, the strongest and bravest and best-equipped men formed the front line, who were all file-leaders and half-file leaders. In this system it would not be advantageous to swap over the less brave and less well-equipped for the front line (promachoi).

Philip II of Macedon revolutionised this system which lasted hundreds of years by introducing a pike which was twice as long as the hoplite's spear, and in contrast held under-arm. To take advantage of this extra length, which allowed more men to participate ( typically, only two ranks of hoplites could reach the foe with their spears held overhead) Philip and Alexander's files were generally 16 men deep normally in open order, and closed up 8 deep into close order (pyknosis), 8 ranks deep, with the pikes of the first 5 ranks extending beyond the first rank - a dense and formidable array. Philip and Alexander had one further trick, in that thanks to their smaller shields ( 66-76 cm diameter against the hoplite's large aspis 85-100 cm diameter) and side-on stance, they were able to close up even more densely into 'locked shields'(sunaspismos) of quarter-files on an 18 inch per man frontage, just 4 ranks deep, with all pikes in action.Naturally, in such a dense formation manouevre was restricted and it was largely a defensive formation.

Once again , the front rank consisted of leaders, the bravest and best, so in this system too it was undesirable to swap ranks. Indeed there were several drills designed to ensure that the 'cutting edge' of the phalanx always faced the enemy, even if they appeared in the rear! Anyone who has watched a military or High school band turn around knows how this was accomplished - in the manuals this type of about-turn was called 'Laconian'. [digression: the next best men made up the rearmost rank, to prevent anyone breaking in retreat !!]

I won't go into detail regarding the Roman system as this post is getting long. Suffice to say that theirs was a very different system which evolved into a 'missile throwing' army who fought at a distance, moving forward in groups to throw their pila in a loose open order (6 ft per man frontage), and then falling back as other groups moved up in turn. In this way a steady shower of heavy throwing weapons fell upon the foe. Once they saw an enemy wavering, then they closed up into close order ( 3 ft frontage), drew 'gladii'/swords and charged. Naturally the already wavering foe usually broke in the face of this. Alternately, if the enemy held their ground in the face of the prolonged 'pila' attack, they would eventually run out of them, and fall back as Livy describes.

Of course the above is a generalisation and simplification, and there were many variations on each 'system' , but in essence that is how each was supposed to work.

I hope you can see how it was necessary for the Romans to be able to 'swap' lines because of their 'missile oriented' battle system, while for hoplites and phalangites, with their emphasis on close combat, with the bravest and best in the front ranks, this was undesirable.

The passage of Livy referring to the Macedonians horror at the wounds inflicted by the Roman 'gladius hispaniensis' is at XXXI.34.4., following a cavalry skirmish.
"...... Forty of the Macedonians fell and thirty-five of the Romans. Neither side gained any information as to the whereabouts of their opponents' camp, which they could carry back either to the consul or to the king. This information was ultimately conveyed by deserters, a class of persons whom want of principle renders useful in all wars for finding out things about the enemy.

[31.34]With the view of doing more to win the affections of his men and make them more ready to meet danger on his behalf, Philip paid special attention to the burial of the men who had fallen in the cavalry action and ordered the bodies to be brought into camp that all might see the honour paid to the dead. But nothing is so uncertain or so difficult to gauge as the temper of a mass of people. The very thing which was expected to make them keener to face any conflict only inspired them with hesitancy and fear. Philip's men had been accustomed to fighting with Greeks and Illyrians and had only seen wounds inflicted by javelins and arrows and in rare instances by lances. But when they saw bodies dismembered with the Spanish sword, arms cut off from the shoulder, heads struck off from the trunk, bowels exposed and other horrible wounds, they recognised the style of weapon and the kind of man against whom they had to fight, and a shudder of horror ran through the ranks."

Since losses were about even, this passage has the ring of the patriotic Livy trying to put a positive 'spin' on the drawn skirmish........if the Romans did not win a physical victory, they won a 'moral' one, demoralising the enemy.

The idea that few men in the Second World War took part in the 'firefight' came from a post-war study, "Men against Fire" by American General S.L.A Marshall, which was controversial when published and has been heavily discredited since, with much of the data fictional and poor methodology.But as we know, "myths" do not die easily........... :wink:

Further reading: The works of Xenophon, and to a lesser extent Thucydides and Herodotus give us a detailed picture of the hoplite phalanx in action. Philip and Alexander's phalanx can be seen in action in Arrian, Curtius, Diodorus Plutarch etc and the other sources and in particular, the ultimate evolution of phalanx drill and other things is preserved in the survival of a late Hellenistic manual, demonstrating the ultimate form of this warfare 'system'. This manual survives in three similar versions- Aelian, Arrian, and Asclepiodotus. All these references and more are readily available through Loeb etc
Hypaspist

Post by Hypaspist »

Hi Xenophon!

Long time no hear:-) Am grateful for your reply. You always give the time of the day, and explain away! Like stated, very grateful for your time.
Hhhh...mmm..mm. Some small corrections and further explanation may help here. The Roman 'rotation' was not, so far as we know, of ranks on the command of a whistle or whatever - if you think about it for a minute and imagine a legionary fighting in the front rank. He hears a whistle blast. Was it his Centurion? The neighbouring one? Someone else? And anyway he can't just break off at will from his skillful opponent.....any attempt to do so will bring instant death......All rather impractical.
Yes, I agree with you. HBO/Rome's re-enactment of the rotation system might just be totally erroneous. Sure, it was very cool to watch, but there is hardly if any evidence for it in the ancient sources, I read. However, like you said, battle line replacements is a different story. When the Roman army feigned a retreat at Pydna (I think) they seized the opportunity to exchange lines. Very elegant manoeuvre, indeed.

Indeed there were several drills designed to ensure that the 'cutting edge' of the phalanx always faced the enemy, even if they appeared in the rear!
Simply elegant. I come to think of how the phalanx formed defensive squares when surrounded by the romans in the battle of Magnesia. Must've been quite a sight...
But when they saw bodies dismembered with the Spanish sword, arms cut off from the shoulder, heads struck off from the trunk, bowels exposed and other horrible wounds, they recognised the style of weapon and the kind of man against whom they had to fight, and a shudder of horror ran through the ranks."

The idea that few men in the Second World War took part in the 'firefight' came from a post-war study, "Men against Fire" by American General S.L.A Marshall, which was controversial when published and has been heavily discredited since, with much of the data fictional and poor methodology.But as we know, "myths" do not die easily........... :wink:
OK, so I take it there resides doubt in you as well as to the veracity in Livy's statements? I can't say that I disagree with you. As you say, there is a "certain" ring to it. Granted, the gladius was capable of inflicting much damage, but I have a hard time believing that the romans, in the thick of battle, would find time to target to specifically cut off arms and heads of the opponents. Like I said, it's more likely they went for dispatching them quickly and effectively with thrusts and stabs as opposed to initiate some kind of methodic gratuitous butchery.
Since losses were about even, this passage has the ring of the patriotic Livy trying to put a positive 'spin' on the drawn skirmish........if the Romans did not win a physical victory, they won a 'moral' one, demoralising the enemy.
Btw, what did you mean by this? Demoralising the enemy?

Oh, almost forgot: just remembered watching a documentary, battle of Watling street. In it they explained how the romans rotated their lines in the same fashion as shown in Hbo's Rome; in the same manner which you basically discounted. Could it perhaps have been executed during the resting intervalls?? What's your take on this? (They showed a pretty awesome computerized animation bit on the rotation system. Looked very, very nice.

Can I ask you a question, Xenophon? How long have you studied ancient history and warfare? Do you live in the UK/America? I'm from Sweden.

PS: Apropos nothing really, just feel I had to put it in; the battles of Pydna, Cynoscephalae, and Magnesia are unique examples of how the Macedonian military system got sent straight to hell because it was executed poorly. It is extremely irritating, and I assert strongly that they really lost unfairly; there were so many mistakes made on the macedonian part in those battles that really played straight into the hands of the romans. And I won't even mention the withdrawal of the cavalry in both Pydna and Cynosc! :x Really, the only satisfaction pro-macedonian factions have is the fact that Pyrrhus beat the romans in two major battles and held is own during the third one at Beneventum which basically ended in a draw. Not bad statistics.. not bad at all. What is interesting in those battles is how he used a hybrid between the macedonian style and the Italic maniple system. Now, that was clever thinking. Jeff Champion, author of the excellent book, "Pyrrhus of Epirus", said to me in a letter: "Just quickly, i do believe that Magnesia is one of those great examples of drawing the wrong lessons from history. The phalanx should have charged!" Touché...

atb,
Robbie
Xenophon
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Xenophon »

Hypaspist wrote: When the Roman army feigned a retreat at Pydna (I think) they seized the opportunity to exchange lines. Very elegant manoeuvre, indeed.
For someone with pro-Macedonian sympathies, there is plenty in the Macedonian wars to take heart from, including a number of Macedonian victories - though naturally, when "history is written by the victors", one has to look carefully to find them ! Pydna is related by Livy XLIV.40-43, and by Plutarch "Aemilius Paullus"18-23. Neither describes a 'feigned' Roman retreat. Perseus led his army out, headed by his Guard Peltast phalanx and catching the Romans by surprise.They deployed as the right wing, and were followed in oblique order by the rest of the phalanx, deploying as they left the camp. The right wing quickly over-ran the Roman outposts, destroying at least two cohorts of Roman allies in the process. The Peltast phalanx swept on, as the Romans, like a disturbed ant's nest, boiled out of their camp in haste. The Peltasts smashed into the Romans, and drove them back, giving them no time to form properly. This is what their commander, Aemilius Paullus had to say :
"As the attack began, Aemilius came up and found that the Macedonian battalions had already planted the tips of their long spears in the shields of the Romans, who were thus prevented from reaching them with their swords. And when he saw that the rest of the Macedonian troops also were drawing their targets from their shoulders round in front of them, and with lowered pikes were withstanding his heavy infantry, and saw too the strength of their interlocked shields and the fierceness of their onset, amazement and fear took possession of him, and he felt that he had never seen a sight more terrifying; often in after times he used to speak of his emotions at that time and of what he saw." [Plutarch Aemilus Paullus 19]

The Roman left was driven pell-mell toward their camp, placed in the foothills above Pydna. In the foothills, there were many ravines and gullies where the phalanx was forced to break up, with the well known result. Over on the Roman right, where obviously they had more time to deploy against the last of the Macedonian phalanx deploying from their camp, the Romans, with elephants in the van, were much more successful.....

Pydna was a much closer run thing than most people realise................

Prior to this, despite having but a fraction of Rome's resources, Perseus successfully kept the Romans at bay for 3 years, using Macedon's mountain barriers and passes to full effect.

Perseus also won a major victory over the Romans two years earlier, at Kallinikos. Often dismissed as a "skirmish", it was a pitched battle withover 12,000 men on each side....the Romans were forced to end that year's campaign as a result of their defeat.....

OK, so I take it there resides doubt in you as well as to the veracity in Livy's statements? I can't say that I disagree with you. As you say, there is a "certain" ring to it. Granted, the gladius was capable of inflicting much damage, but I have a hard time believing that the romans, in the thick of battle, would find time to target to specifically cut off arms and heads of the opponents. Like I said, it's more likely they went for dispatching them quickly and effectively with thrusts and stabs as opposed to initiate some kind of methodic gratuitous butchery.
Btw, what did you mean by this? Demoralising the enemy?
Demoralise means to destroy the enemy's morale, which is what Livy says occurred. However it does not seem to me that severed heads etc would have had this effect. At Kallinikos, the Macedonians and more particularly their Thracian allies impaled severed Roman heads on their 'rhompaia', and singing songs of triumph, paraded them in front of King Perseus' tent, looking for rewards.....they were hardened to such grisly sights.
Oh, almost forgot: just remembered watching a documentary, battle of Watling street. In it they explained how the romans rotated their lines in the same fashion as shown in Hbo's Rome; in the same manner which you basically discounted. Could it perhaps have been executed during the resting intervalls?? What's your take on this? (They showed a pretty awesome computerized animation bit on the rotation system. Looked very, very nice.
My personal view is that those tactics described earlier persisted into Imperial times. Whether or not line changeover occurred at Boudicca's defeat is unknown, but seems unlikely. Tacitus' brief account seems to have the Britons break at the first onset of the Roman attack. [Tacitus Annals XIV.34 et seq]
Can I ask you a question, Xenophon? How long have you studied ancient history and warfare? Do you live in the UK/America? I'm from Sweden.
I am Australian, but spent some 20 years in the UK, which allowed me to visit much of the ancient Mediterranean world, including many battlefields. I have studied the ancient world since my teenage years -over 50 years now - and find it as fascinating as ever. I first wrote articles and studies back in the 1970's and have been doing so ever since......
PS: Apropos nothing really, just feel I had to put it in; the battles of Pydna, Cynoscephalae, and Magnesia are unique examples of how the Macedonian military system got sent straight to hell because it was executed poorly. It is extremely irritating, and I assert strongly that they really lost unfairly; there were so many mistakes made on the macedonian part in those battles that really played straight into the hands of the romans. And I won't even mention the withdrawal of the cavalry in both Pydna and Cynosc! :x Really, the only satisfaction pro-macedonian factions have is the fact that Pyrrhus beat the romans in two major battles and held is own during the third one at Beneventum which basically ended in a draw. Not bad statistics.. not bad at all. What is interesting in those battles is how he used a hybrid between the macedonian style and the Italic maniple system. Now, that was clever thinking. Jeff Champion, author of the excellent book, "Pyrrhus of Epirus", said to me in a letter: "Just quickly, i do believe that Magnesia is one of those great examples of drawing the wrong lessons from history. The phalanx should have charged!" Touché...
Hindsight is a wonderful thing !! I'll just say this. Both Pydna and Cynoscephalae were near-run things, with each side winning on one wing - and the Romans having the advantage of elephants and better cavalry in both. Nevertheless, in the long term little Macedon was never going to win against hugely bigger Rome. Macedonian defeat was inevitable, and both Philip V and his son Perseus put up tenacious and creditable fights in defence of Macedon.

As for Magnesia, whilst I enjoyed Jeff's book, I'd have to disagree with him ( although of course he may have been speaking tongue in cheek! ). While Antiochus was busy winning a cavalry battle on his right wing, the Seleucid phalanx lost its flank protection and light infantry screen, driven in by superior Roman numbers. The Roman light troops and cavalry surrounded the phalanx, seeking to goad them into a charge - which would have led the phalanx deeper into the surrounding Romans, to disaster of Custer-like proportions ! The phalanx commanders were wise enough not to fall into this trap, but instead formed a hollow square and almost succeeded in withdrawing in good order, until their own elephants panicked under the constant Roman missile barrage.....

The Seleucid officers were not fools, and did the only thing possible in the circumstances to try and extract their phalanx, and it speaks volumes for their discipline and drill to manouevre into hollow square whilst under constant missile fire to which they were unable to respond.....

Incidently, another near-run thing.....
Hypaspist

Post by Hypaspist »

Xenophon wrote:
I am Australian, but spent some 20 years in the UK, which allowed me to visit much of the ancient Mediterranean world, including many battlefields. I have studied the ancient world since my teenage years -over 50 years now - and find it as fascinating as ever. I first wrote articles and studies back in the 1970's and have been doing so ever since......
Wow! I'm really impressed. It's funny when you correspond with people, always picturing something different in ones head. Well, I'm 34 years old, still wet behind the ears compared to you, I guess, ha ha :lol:

Xenophon wrote:
Perseus also won a major victory over the Romans two years earlier, at Kallinikos. Often dismissed as a "skirmish", it was a pitched battle withover 12,000 men on each side....the Romans were forced to end that year's campaign as a result of their defeat.....
I am very glad that you reminded me of this. Forgot all about it. However, that was mainly cavalry engagement, no? Was the roman heavy infantry involved?? If they weren't, what would have happened if they were?? The cavalry would probably have rendered them in disarray or driven them back, maybe...

Xenophon wrote:
Both Pydna and Cynoscephalae were near-run things, with each side winning on one wing - and the Romans having the advantage of elephants and better cavalry in both.
Hmm... better cavalry? Didn't Perseus command among other the elite Sacred Squadron?

I can't begin to tell you how happy I am to have received this reply. Pydna, Cynoscephalae, and Magnesia really bothered me for a long time; feel relieved to hear you say they were closely run things. I guess one can take heart from the fact that the macedonians weren't exactly outclassed by the legions; on the contrary - things could perhaps just as well have turned out differently victory-wise. With maybe better commanders and without the cavalry turning around at both Pydna and Cynoscephalae, the macedonians would probably have stood a better chance and perhaps won! And why not? Just look at what Hannibal did with an army that was more or less in the same class as the macedonians! But then again... the elephants... forgot about them! Damn. How would you have countered the elephants, Xenophon, if you were one of the commanders? I mean, based on your military knowledge.

You know the strangest thing... I read, in the Pyrrhus book, I think, that Antiochos was supposed to have received advice from Hannibal just before the Magnesia battle, but neglected them in favor of his own prowess and skills as a commander. He could just have been jealous of Hannibal's feats? Now if any of this is true, I can't say, but an interesting notion.
I would love to see what Hannibal would've whipped up against the romans. If he did give advice and counsel to Antiochos, I wonder what they were... hmm...

One could even climb a rung up the curious-ladder and ask what Alexander would've thought of the romans and their fighting style, and how HE would propose to take them on?? I'd probably give a whole lot to find that out :D

I guess if one enters the "afterlife" some day, and Alexander is in it, one could just go ahead and ask him... unless he's turned into a buddhist monk or something. :wink:
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

There is much here I find with which to take issue so I will devote tomorrow to addressing these issues, not in an antagonistic way, but Xenophon has overstated his case somewhat, as I shall attempt to demonstrate and he. no doubt , will attempt to refute. just as closing question, Hypaspist, where do you get the phrase 'mutatio ordinis'? I have searched Perseus' database and cannot find it in any ancient source, though I am aware of its modern usage. Whilst it may be a bit of a sideline, marshalling the actual literary evidence for the Republican Roman army system would be v.interesting, I am sure Xeno has the quotes ready (another thread hi-jacked to Hellenisticism ha, ha, ha :twisted: )
Xenophon
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Xenophon »

Take issue with ? .....I wasn't aware I had written anything controversial, only the general comment that the wars between Macedon and Rome weren't the one-sided victories so often portrayed, that Macedon too had victories - including a number of perhaps indecisive minor clashes of which no account is extant, but likely took place ( such as during the three years Perseus held the Roman armies at bay), and that the battles of Cynoscephalae, Pydna and Magnesia, whilst decisive, were certainly not "one-sided". It is easy to conjure up "what ifs" that reverse the results and are perfectly plausible.

For a start, since major battles only occur by consent, the Macedonian commander in each case must have engaged believing they could win, and they certainly had more experience of these things than we moderns, even equipped with twenty-twenty hindsight.........

[Caveat: As I said before, the eventual outcome of War between each Hellenistic power and Rome was inevitable defeat in the long term, as I said earlier.....]

I look forward to Agesilaos' viewpoint............ :) :D
Hypaspist

Post by Hypaspist »

agesilaos wrote:
just as closing question, Hypaspist, where do you get the phrase 'mutatio ordinis'?
Well, I actually picked it up from a rather interesting thread housing the endless debate of `phalanx vs legio´. A user on it used the term to describe the rotation. He in turn must have extracted it from a book, perhaps :wink:
Honestly, I don't believe there's any hotter military subject out there which incites as much debate, anger, baiting and frenzy as this one :evil:

Now, I wish I could quote proper sources of the following - as it was included in Wikipedias account of the battle of Cynoscephalae, but later removed - but I can't. Luckily, I retrieved it from a warforum thread.
It is generally perceived that with the later Battle of Pydna, this defeat demonstrates the superiority of the Roman legion over the Macedonian phalanx. The phalanx, though very powerful head on, was not as flexible as the Roman manipular formation. However, closer analysis of the details on the Cynoscephalae battle (as well as those of Pydna later) does not confirm this hypothesis, especially considering the tactical events of both battles; the Roman legions were unable to confront Philip's phalanxes head on nor were they able to outflank them. The single most important factor that kept Romans from falling apart had actually been their local Aetolian allies who could manage breakthroughs. However the most revealing fact - and what seems to had also been the turning point in the later battle of Pydna - had been the suspicious repeated action of the Companion cavalry which fled the scene at a most crucial point, leaving the infantry uncovered, thus permitting the Romans and their local allies to finally outflank Philip's phalanxes. Suspicions of treason are further strengthened by the fact that following Cynoscephalae, integral parts of the Macedonian kingdom like Orestis instantly broke off becoming Roman allies and that four decades later, following the battle of Pydna, numerous Macedonian pro-Roman aristocracies waged a political pogrom against anti-Roman political opponents. A complete analysis of both battles and ensuing events establishes the Roman victory foremost as a political one rather than military/tactical.
Now, whoever wrote this clearly did his homework. Excellent analysis. It really sends shivers down my spine, because like Xenophon said, the roman victories weren't so one-sided. Further, I truly do believe the macedonians could have changed the tide of the battle had the cavalry engaged... and perhaps even won both battles.
Granted, they would not have won the war, but at least they would have had two major victories under their belt against the `mighty´ romans... also, they shouldn't have followed the romans into uneven terrain...

Zenith of hypothesis: Again, I would give a great deal to know how Pyrrhus would have handled Pydna, Magnesia, and Cynoscephalae. I could go as far as say that I would give even more to know what Alexander would have done, but I fear I'd be homeless then... :wink: No doubt, Alexander would have drooled at an opportunity against the romans... he so loved a good fight...

By the way, by the way...
Anyone remember the ´second´ Pydna battle in 148 b.c? Andriscus faced off against the romans.
-He lost, but what the heck really happened at that battle? How did he fare against the legions in that particular battle?

-Andriscus actually won a battle against the romans. He raised a Thracian army, invaded Macedonia and beat the praetor Publius Juventius in 149b.c. Now this is pretty, pretty astonishing...

Cassios Dio, Fragmens of Book XXI
The Romans at first scorned Andriscus, and then they sent Scipio Nasica to settle matters there in some peaceable manner. On reaching Greece and ascertaining what had occurred, he sent a letter to the Romans explaining the situation; then after collecting troops from the allies there he devoted himself to the business in hand and advanced as far as Macedonia. The people of Rome, when informed of the doings of Andriscus, sent an army along with Publius Juventius, a praetor. Juventius had just reached the vicinity of Macedonia when Andriscus gave battle, killed the praetor, and would have annihilated his entire force had they not withdrawn by night.
This would actually suggest he beat roman legions? Wonder what military system he used? Macedonian phalanx?

3. How about the Mithridatic Wars?
- I can't believe Archelaus army was as many as 120 000 at Chaeronea?? And the romans only 40 000? That has to be pure propaganda! How many did the romans lose according to Sulla? 14, 15 men... pleeeaaaseeee! I read the account of the battle and it sounds chaotic at best. Intense combat ensued in the center of the line, however the battle was decided on the flanks. Archelaus' cavalry charge on the roman left nearly left it crumbled, upon which Sulla crossed from the roman right to help out prompting Archelaus to move south to attack the vulnerable roman right(!), whereupon (sigh)Sulla headed back to the south! Anyhow, as you all know, the romans then went onto the offensive and pushed back their opponents.The pontic reatreat turned into a rout.

Plutarch in Life of Sylla:
Many barbarians were slain in the field, many more were cut in pieces as they were making into the camp. Of all the vast multitude, ten thousand only got safe into Chalcis. Sylla writes that there were but fourteen of his soldiers missing, and that two of these returned towards evening
I would like to know what you think of this battle? Why did the Pontic army lose? And what do you have to say about the numbers; death toll, opponents?? The pontic army could hardly have amassed some 120 000??

-The battle of Orchomenus of 86 B.C also ended in total disaster. It's always the same... the phalanx being disrupted by their own, and the romans capitalizing on it... sigh... What do you guys have to say about the numbers? Romans 15 000, the pontic army 75 000? 100 romans killed while about 15 000 on the other side slain??

Time after time after time the romans get lucky(?)... I can't but concede to the superiority of the roman commanders in these battles. :evil: Granted, they had better trained armies, but when all is said and done, this alone hardly qualifies as being the determining factor in securing a victory as history has shown us in spades. Commanders of the phalanxes constantly get unlucky in these battles... It's almost as though they weren't supposed to win... decreed by some higher power... fate.
And yet there are several instances of romans getting defeated by lesser enemies :o ... I'm just having a hard time fathoming this.

Come to think of it, we've nealy covered every `phalanx vs legio´ situation hitherto, with the exception of Pyrrhus victories against the romans; these I'd prefer to leave alone as they speak for themselves in terms achievement and skill on behalf of the ´macedonian phalanx´ system... I don't want anyone raining on my parade, ha ha,ha!! :wink: :D :D
We did actually cover Alexander's uncle Alexander I's battles in Italy in a former thread. I commented on how impressed I was over his victories against the italians and their manipular fighting units. He won several victories, and this was, mind you, using the macedonian phalanx in hilly, rugged terrain. Granted, he may have adapted his army and tactics a bit to suit the italic terrain, in addition to securing some italian allies, but even so, the macedonian phalanx had set foot upon italian soil and been in contact with the manipular system, and all this in Alexander's lifetime!! Nothing short of absolutely amazing :D :D And what really gets my juices flowing here is that Alexander had to have been aware of the italians and their drills and fighting formations!! I so wonder what he thought of it... ??
Last edited by Hypaspist on Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Xenophon
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Xenophon »

Whilst awaiting Agesilaos' "issues", we might clear up one or two other points. Hypaspist has alluded to the failure of Antigonid cavalry at both Cynoscephalae and Pydna a couple of times now. Why was this so ? In its simplest terms, Alexander had at his disposal something like 15% give or take cavalry. This was because the river valleys of lower Macedonia ( and Thessaly) had rich pasturage, and were comparatively wealthy. Both time and money are necessary to the breeding of good cavalry horses, the training of cavalry and the building of a long cavalry tradition, headed by rich aristocratic families and their followers. No surprise then that Macedon and Thessaly both produced good cavalry, even well before the days of Philip and Alexander. After Alexander's death, for the next thirty years or so, Macedon was plagued by interneccine warfare between various claimants for the throne, including Pyrrhus, all of whom eventually used celtic mercenaries ( the celts were migrating south of the Danube ). This warfare fatally weakened Macedon - the army consisted of citizen levies again, the professional armies of Philip and Alexander had gone. These celts decided to make the Balkans their own, and amongst other things completely over-ran Macedon, killing the King Ptolemy Keraunos, before the citizen army could be called up, leaving only mercenaries in winter quarters to resist. They ravaged all Macedon, deporting much of the population as slaves and plundered the whole land. The whole system of horse-breeding, and the wealth and aristocrats who supported it was swept away, as well as their traditions.

Consequently, when Philip V was rebuilding Macedon, whilst it was not too difficult to encourage immigrants and rebuild the phalanx, it was another thing altogether to rebuild the cavalry - with the result that he had only 2,000 at Cynoscephalae - or a mere 8% or so of his army ( about half of what was available to Alexander, and of generally much weaker quality ). His son Perseus at Pydna, by straining every effort, had raised 4,000 cavalry - still only 10% or so of his army.

That, in simple terms, is the reason why the Antigonids were relatively weak in cavalry.
Hypaspist

Post by Hypaspist »

Xenophon,

While you wrote this, I edited my last post a couple of times. I don't know if you've read it in full. Just check it out, please, maybe you've missed out on the added info. There I mentioned the suspicious acts of the cavalry. Thanks :D

Xenophon wrote:
Hypaspist has alluded to the failure of Antigonid cavalry at both Cynoscephalae and Pydna a couple of times now.
At Cynoscephalae, Philip had about 2000 cavalry, the romans roughly the same, I'd wager. At Pydna, Perseus commanded 4000 cavalry, roughly the same size as the romans. Yet, both Macedonian commanders failed to engage? If I'm to understand correctly, you mean to say that neither Perseus nor Philip felt confident enough to attack with the cavalry on account of them being inferior in terms of number or quality or both? Then why bother bringing them along? I don't think the romans, if at all, outclassed them that much in the quality of cavalry. Perseus did in fact command his Elite Sacred Squadron. The point I was trying to get across was how the cavalry in both battles suspiciously failed to engage. `It doesn't matter for once´... but twice? Plutarch says the King and the cavalry at Pydna were accused of cowardice.
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

Aha! I seem to have bowled you a googlie, old boy; it was not the speculation on the relative value of the tactical systems that piqued me, but the long explication of drill, which aside from a couple of actual slips, I would not call them errrors, is a presentation of how you see things but not necessarily how things are generally interpreted; for the unaware I will make the case for the traditional view. Then I will address the worth of the two systems, anyway!

Just a little note that originally it would seem that only the Hastati seem to have been armed with pila and they may have been fewer in number than Livy states, as they were described as ‘picked men’ by Dionysios of Halikarnassos, I think, I will have to check that one and edit in the reference. It is possible that the change to 4/5 pila armed from 2/5 (taking Livy’s numbers, 60 hastati, 60 principes and 30 triarii to a cohort) occurred after the Romans fought Pyrrhos and encountered the sarissa.

I don’t find modern riots a particularly good analogy to ancient warfare; the typical situation is one of a professional force, the police, attempting to hold a line and a minority of untrained, and frequently unarmed, protesters attempting to disrupt them. An ancient battle would generally consist of two well-motivated and armed sides intent on killing each other. I do take on board the criticism of ‘Men Against Fire’ though; I wonder if you could reference the critical essay or books, then I can read them and get up to date.

My main issue, though is with your reconstruction of the way hoplites deploy for battle.

The next thing we need to bear in mind is that Greek hoplites, Macedonians and their successors, and Romans all employed 'drill', whereby they could change formation, extend their line etc. From Xenophon's writings it is possible to reconstruct hoplite drill, which was fairly simple. A column of hoplites would deploy for battle by files, let us say of typically eight deep. Each file marched up beside the one to its right, occupying 3 ft or so frontage and leaving a 3 ft gap. Once the phalanx formed, they sang a 'battle hymn' ( paean), took up their shields and then advanced. When they reached 100-200 yards from the enemy, skirmishing light troops were recalled, and filtered through the phalanx, still in open order. Once this was done, the half-file leaders led the rear half up to form close order 4 ranks deep, each man occupying 3 ft frontage, and the line went forward. When contact with the enemy was imminent, an ululating battle-cry went up, and with courage steeled, the phalanx attacked, often at the run. In the Greek system, the strongest and bravest and best-equipped men formed the front line, who were all file-leaders and half-file leaders. In this system it would not be advantageous to swap over the less brave and less well-equipped for the front line (promachoi).

Xenophon ‘Constitution of the Lakedaimonians’ xi 4ff discusses the Spartan method of deploying from column of march into line of battle. It is clear that deployment is by section or ‘enomotia’ rather than file and that they ‘wheel’ into place once formed in the chosen depth. Xenophon envisages depths of six, twelve or eighteen (assuming an enomotia of 36, though actual strength varied with the age bands called –up) and corresponding frontages of six, three, or two (or possibly one and a depth of thirty-six, though this is not seen in action ever and the textual lacuna is better supplied with ‘two’ than ‘one’ IMHO).

It is likely that other troops also marched in blocks which equated to their normal depth with the officers to the fore of each block. These would form up in their battle formation not the open order used for marching; when Thukydides says that the Spartans were eight deep ‘on average’ at Mantinea (V 68) he means that that was the depth they fought in not that they subsequently halved their depth. This does mean that there could be little or no skirmishing in front of the hoplite lines, as those in the centre would be unlikely to clear the front before the hoplites met by moving to the flanks. But we do not hear of psiloi skirmishing in front of the hoplites, rather they harass armies on the march from rough ground. This is sometimes said to just be an artefact of the ‘hoplite-class’ historians ignoring their poorer bretheren, however, if one considers Plataia, it is clearly the Spartan hoplites who are subjected to the Persian arrow storm, despite the presence of a light infantry force of helots three times the Persian numbers who should have been shielding them! At Delion the Thebans are able to charge the Athenian hoplite line directly and the same goes for the many battle sin the ‘Hellenika’ of Xenophon. Nor would it be a sound move to risk being caught in anything but close order, Thukydides is clear that the Spartans, who unlike us knew a thing or two about hoplite warfare at first hand, preferred to advance steadily to the strains of the flute rather than risk losing cohesion by charging at the run or jog as other states did; this urge to run is a pointer to the tensions of hoplite warfare, where the urge to run, into combat or away from it, was the only way to release it for basically untrained troops.

Despite Xenophon’s praise for the flexibility of the Spartan army, we do not actually find it performing many of the manoeuvres he describes, for armies were rarely caught on the march and forced to fight to the flank or rear; I can only think of the Achaian League’s forces being surprised by Kleomenes III, an action for which we have few details as Polybios was as biased in favour of Achaia as Xenophon was towards Sparta!

Which leads on to those countermarches; first, the little slip: military bands do not perform Lakonian countermarches: in a Lakonian countermarch the rear rank about faces and then the file leaders march through the formation followed by their file until the formation is re-established to the rear a unit depth in advance of their former position. In a Macedonian countermarch the file leaders ‘about face’ and their files march to take up their positions behind them, a retreat by a depth in effect. The closest approximation to the marching band is the so-called Persian or Kretan countermarch where the whole file moves and the formation reforms on the same ground (Asklepiodotos X 13ff).

Again we do not hear of these evolutions in any battle narratives, with the possible exception of Alexander’s show during the retreat from Pelion. At Kynoskephalai the Macedonian peltasts DO contract their frontage by doubling their depth and closing to the right but they probably marched up eight deep, rather than forming up sixteen deep and then interjecting their half files and resuming standard spacing.

Asklepiodotos, who records the complicated evolutions places no emphasis on half-file leaders, who would be as important as the file-leaders in your system. III 5 is quite explicit file-leaders need to be x, those behind them y and file closers z. No mention of the qualities required by half-file leaders. It is clear that such a position did exist but it was equally clearly only important in circumstances where there was too much ground for a phalanx in normal depth to cover, as at Issos and the opening stage of Kynoskephalai .

Re the relative value of the systems; the phalanx could not win without cavalry support, nor could it operate in broken terrain; roman legions could. Neither Pydna nor Kynoskephalai were long hard fought battles, Pydna was only an hour long allegedly and only 100 Romans died allegedly. After Magnesia both the Seleukids and the Ptolemies began to raise infantry of Roman type, an unlikely investment were it not felt that it would confer a significant advantage, and they would not be influenced by Roman propaganda only the evidence of their own experience. One should also bear in mind that it was not the legions that defeated the phalanx at Magnesia but the light troops and their missiles which maddened the foolishly placed elephants.

The legion was the superior system for me.
Xenophon
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Xenophon »

Oh dear !! Agesilaos' post contains so much that it is hard to know where to begin. I feel I must address them bit by bit - though I feel a full discussion of hoplite phalanx drill is rather 'off-topic'.
Aha! I seem to have bowled you a googlie, old boy; it was not the speculation on the relative value of the tactical systems that piqued me, but the long explication of drill, which aside from a couple of actual slips, I would not call them errrors, is a presentation of how you see things but not necessarily how things are generally interpreted; for the unaware I will make the case for the traditional view. Then I will address the worth of the two systems, anyway!
A googly indeed! I had thought that the subject of hoplite phalanx drill, well known for many years now, was also uncontroversial.
This was not a presentation of just my personal view. The system of files closing up to half-files is described, with variations, a number of times in Xenophon's works - not just the 'Constitution of the Lacedaemonians' but also in detail in the 'Cyropaedia', and in the 'Anabasis' Xenophon tells us that four deep was the hoplites "customary battle order" - evidently a closing up of files from 'normal' order 8 deep. By putting together all Xenophon's 'bits' of information in his works it is possible to deduce how hoplite phalanx drill generally worked. This was first described , a.f.i.k, by J. K. Anderson in "Military theory & practice in the age of Xenophon" [1970]; P. Connolly "Greek Armies" [1977]; and myself in Warry's "Warfare in the Classical World" [1980]. (over 40 years ago!!.....should be long enough now to be called the 'traditional' view! ). Again, so far as I know, that view has not been seriously challenged by anyone in all that time and may be said to be the 'communis opinio'.
Just a little note that originally it would seem that only the Hastati seem to have been armed with pila and they may have been fewer in number than Livy states, as they were described as ‘picked men’ by Dionysios of Halikarnassos, I think, I will have to check that one and edit in the reference. It is possible that the change to 4/5 pila armed from 2/5 (taking Livy’s numbers, 60 hastati, 60 principes and 30 triarii to a cohort) occurred after the Romans fought Pyrrhos and encountered the sarissa.
Clearly,the Roman army constantly evolved over it's thousand or so years of existence. Following the expulsion of the Etruscans and the abandonment of the hoplite phalanx - probably more of a social change than a deliberate choice of a native Italian 'system', it is possible that only the Hastati were 'pila' armed, but for the missile armed 'system' to work properly requires both Hastati and Principes to be so armed. Moreover we have only 3 descriptions, or 'snapshots' of the Roman army of the Early and Middle Republic -two in Livy - The Etrusco-Roman army c.500 BC and the Latin-Roman army c.340 BC - and Polybius' description of c.200 BC, so that supposing only Hastati were armed with 'pila' is speculative. Livy's description of the army c. 340 BC clearly implies that Hastati and Principes were armed in the same fashion, for only the third line is described as spear armed. Speculation that this came about as a result of meeting Pyrrhus ( in the 270's BC) is therefore highly unlikely.
I don’t find modern riots a particularly good analogy to ancient warfare; the typical situation is one of a professional force, the police, attempting to hold a line and a minority of untrained, and frequently unarmed, protesters attempting to disrupt them. An ancient battle would generally consist of two well-motivated and armed sides intent on killing each other. I do take on board the criticism of ‘Men Against Fire’ though; I wonder if you could reference the critical essay or books, then I can read them and get up to date.
You have referred to one particular type of riot, or perhaps more appropriately "demonstration". A search on YouTube will reveal footage of many different types of real riots, including what can only be described as battles between large mobs, fully armed with helmets and hand weapons, engaging one another in lines which necessarily draw apart spontaneously after a few minutes combat. These battles often even include many injured casualties, and sometimes fatalities. There could be no closer modern analogy to an ancient battle.

Search online for criticism of "Men against Fire" - there is far too much to list here.
My main issue, though is with your reconstruction of the way hoplites deploy for battle.
Xenophon wrote:The next thing we need to bear in mind is that Greek hoplites, Macedonians and their successors, and Romans all employed 'drill', whereby they could change formation, extend their line etc. From Xenophon's writings it is possible to reconstruct hoplite drill, which was fairly simple. A column of hoplites would deploy for battle by files, let us say of typically eight deep. Each file marched up beside the one to its right, occupying 3 ft or so frontage and leaving a 3 ft gap. Once the phalanx formed, they sang a 'battle hymn' ( paean), took up their shields and then advanced. When they reached 100-200 yards from the enemy, skirmishing light troops were recalled, and filtered through the phalanx, still in open order. Once this was done, the half-file leaders led the rear half up to form close order 4 ranks deep, each man occupying 3 ft frontage, and the line went forward. When contact with the enemy was imminent, an ululating battle-cry went up, and with courage steeled, the phalanx attacked, often at the run. In the Greek system, the strongest and bravest and best-equipped men formed the front line, who were all file-leaders and half-file leaders. In this system it would not be advantageous to swap over the less brave and less well-equipped for the front line (promachoi).
Xenophon ‘Constitution of the Lakedaimonians’ xi 4ff discusses the Spartan method of deploying from column of march into line of battle. It is clear that deployment is by section or ‘enomotia’ rather than file and that they ‘wheel’ into place once formed in the chosen depth. Xenophon envisages depths of six, twelve or eighteen (assuming an enomotia of 36, though actual strength varied with the age bands called –up) and corresponding frontages of six, three, or two (or possibly one and a depth of thirty-six, though this is not seen in action ever and the textual lacuna is better supplied with ‘two’ than ‘one’ IMHO).
The fundamental system was to lead files up side by side ( See Xenophon "Cyropaedia"II.3.21), but obviously if a column was marching up a road two, three or more files abreast, the phalanx could save time by deploying in twos/double files or threes etc.and Xenophon refers to this.The final stage of the half-files closing up into 'close order/pyknosis' is described thus:
"And when he judged it proper, he gave the order for each 'lochos'/company [previously 8 deep] to form fours. And thereupon the 'half-file leaders/pampadarchs' led up by the side to form fours" ( i.e. four deep).
For the half-file leaders to be able to do this it is self-evident that when the file stood eight deep, it must have been in 'open' (usually called 'normal') order. Note that Xenophon ( Anabasis) calls four deep the hoplites "customary battle order".
(B.T.W. I agree with you about the textual lacuna)
Your description of the "Constitution" passage is not clear as to what you envisage happening as actual drill movements. What Xenophon says is [XI.4] :
"...they are drawn up at the word of command in single file, sometimes in threes and sometimes in sixes.....and the orders to lead up the files are given verbally by the 'enomotarch/platoon leader', as though by a Herald and the depth of the phalanx is increased or diminished."
[note:not ranks or frontage] What is being described is as before, the depth halving (into close order) or doubling (back into open order)
...and also...
"...instructions for the paragogai/file leaders generally are given out by word of mouth by the Enomotarch, as though by a Herald, and the phalanx becomes thinner or deeper..."
Anyone with experience of military drill will recognise what is happening here. Let us take an Enomotia of 36 formed up in 'open'/normal order, three abreast and twelve deep. They close up to six deep by the simple expedient of the rear half-files marching up alongside the front halves, on the command "Close order, march! " or similar and return to normal order by "Open order, march!" or the like.
It is likely that other troops also marched in blocks which equated to their normal depth with the officers to the fore of each block. These would form up in their battle formation not the open order used for marching; when Thukydides says that the Spartans were eight deep ‘on average’ at Mantinea (V 68) he means that that was the depth they fought in not that they subsequently halved their depth.
This is simply speculative supposition because Thucydides does NOT say whether the eight deep 'on average' is in normal/open order or close order. He simply does not say what depth they actually fought in, [ and no need to, everybody would know the phalanx closed up just before contact] and the meaning you ascribe is simply your interpretation and inconsistent with other evidence. Nor was normal/open order just used on the march - again that is just supposition.( and see elsewhere in this post for examples of its use on the battlefield). In any event this ambiguity hardly negates Xenophon's repeated specifics.

Moreover, over years I have been checking known battlefield widths, and all I have examined are more consistent with phalanxes being drawn up initially in open order than close order. ( A phalanx would occupy only half the frontage were it to stand, say, eight deep in close order.)
This does mean that there could be little or no skirmishing in front of the hoplite lines, as those in the centre would be unlikely to clear the front before the hoplites met by moving to the flanks. But we do not hear of psiloi skirmishing in front of the hoplites, rather they harass armies on the march from rough ground. This is sometimes said to just be an artefact of the ‘hoplite-class’ historians ignoring their poorer bretheren, however, if one considers Plataia, it is clearly the Spartan hoplites who are subjected to the Persian arrow storm, despite the presence of a light infantry force of helots three times the Persian numbers who should have been shielding them!
You seem to be suggesting that light troops/'psiloi' took little or no part in pitched battle? Or that light troops never screened the phalanx? There are examples of them fighting in battle and doing just that - Sphacteria and Lechaeum for just two famous examples where light troops even played the prominent part, though hoplites were present. For the later phalanx we are specifically told that they are deployed in front of the phalanx e.g. Aelian 15.0:
" The General is to post them so that they will be prepared for the enemy, sometimes stationed in front of the phalanx, sometimes on the right and on the left, sometimes posted in rear of the phalanx, as circumstances require."

Incidently, how do they get from in front of to behind the phalanx if they do not move through whilst the phalanx stands in 'normal' order ?

In addition, one might expect that perhaps the most important function of light troops was to screen the phalanx whilst it deployed.
As you point out, we cannot tell exactly what part they generally played since they are rarely mentioned, save in exceptional circumstances such as the two examples I gave.....
At Plataea, it is extremely unlikely that each Spartan hoplite was accompanied by seven helots - more likely one each, or less.( there isn't room on the battlefield for 42,000 or more light troops for a start) That they played some active part in the battle is certain however. Herodotus describes how the Helots who fell in the battle were buried separately, even though he doesn't mention their actions.Nor is it likely that unshielded javelin-throwers, even in the unlikely numbers you suggest, would stand up for long against an army of Persian archers - they would perhaps have been lucky to have even got into javelin range! Once they had withdrawn/been driven back, the Persians, as described, could bring their archery to bear on the perhaps now closed up Spartan phalanx, who patiently crouched/sat behind their shields awaiting a favourable sacrifice.
At Delion the Thebans are able to charge the Athenian hoplite line directly and the same goes for the many battle sin the ‘Hellenika’ of Xenophon. Nor would it be a sound move to risk being caught in anything but close order, Thukydides is clear that the Spartans, who unlike us knew a thing or two about hoplite warfare at first hand, preferred to advance steadily to the strains of the flute rather than risk losing cohesion by charging at the run or jog as other states did; this urge to run is a pointer to the tensions of hoplite warfare, where the urge to run, into combat or away from it, was the only way to release it for basically untrained troops.
This seems like a form of special pleading.That hoplites were able to charge one another directly, I would suggest, proves nothing for once the phalanxes closed, or when light troops had expended their missiles, they would withdraw through the open order phalanxes, leaving the hoplites face to face. At Delion, we are told that the Theban phalanx, 7,000 strong was accompanied by 1,000 cavalry and 10,000 light troops.[Thuc IV.93] The Athenian light troops had already withdrawn and were on the march to Athens, so the Theban cavalry and light troops were employed on the flanks - obviously to attack the undefended flanks of the Athenian phalanx, though as usual, we are not told exactly what they did, other than that when two squadrons of cavalry appeared in the Athenian rear, panic ensued. Thucydides exceptionally describes this 'flank' deployment because it was unusual - in this instance the absence of Athenian light troops meant they were not needed to 'screen' the front of the phalanx from these stinging gadflies.

Your point about "risk" by being in open order is not really valid.There was no risk of being caught in 'normal' order whatsoever, for to close up was the work of a few seconds - even a foe running full tilt from only 50 metres away would not catch a phalanx in 'normal/open' order.

One further point about only closing up immediately before meeting the enemy is the very practical one of a phalanx in line a kilometre or more long advancing across a battlefield. Whilst battles were generally fought on plains, these were not smooth playing fields. There were trees, rocks, ponds shrubs etc to be negotiated, and spreading out to flow round such obstacles during the advance to contact is much easier done in normal/open order than the jostling that would inevitably force people out of line in close order.

Despite Xenophon’s praise for the flexibility of the Spartan army, we do not actually find it performing many of the manoeuvres he describes, for armies were rarely caught on the march and forced to fight to the flank or rear; I can only think of the Achaian League’s forces being surprised by Kleomenes III, an action for which we have few details as Polybios was as biased in favour of Achaia as Xenophon was towards Sparta!
It is certainly true that pre-battle manouevres are seldom described ( though they are on occasion - e.g. Spartan attempts to extend their line at Leuktra or fill a 'hole' in the line at Mantinea - both incidently unsuccessful! Still, that's two of just eight battles of the classical Spartan phalanx that we have accounts of ), but we don't have descriptions of even a fraction of the battles that took place. However, I would agree that complex manouevres of a precautionary nature from the parade ground would be risky, and hence rarely performed, on a battlefield.
Which leads on to those countermarches; first, the little slip: military bands do not perform Lakonian countermarches: in a Lakonian countermarch the rear rank about faces and then the file leaders march through the formation followed by their file until the formation is re-established to the rear a unit depth in advance of their former position. In a Macedonian countermarch the file leaders ‘about face’ and their files march to take up their positions behind them, a retreat by a depth in effect. The closest approximation to the marching band is the so-called Persian or Kretan countermarch where the whole file moves and the formation reforms on the same ground (Asklepiodotos X 13ff).
I mentioned it so that the reader could envisage how this manouevre was carried out. Since we are being 'picky', I'd point out that the Cretan/Persian counter-march does not really approximate what a marching band does, for the band does not end up in the same place. Rather, the band reverses direction ( by virtue of its 'open' order)....as in the Laconian counter-march. Incidently, since this counter-marching of the phalanx ( of whichever type) can only be carried out in open order, and its purpose was to ensure that the 'cutting edge' of the phalanx faced the enemy, it is proof that the phalanx drew up and manouevred in open order on the battlefield.
Again we do not hear of these evolutions in any battle narratives, with the possible exception of Alexander’s show during the retreat from Pelion. At Kynoskephalai the Macedonian peltasts DO contract their frontage by doubling their depth and closing to the right but they probably marched up eight deep, rather than forming up sixteen deep and then interjecting their half files and resuming standard spacing.
Again, I would agree that these manouevres were rare, for the reason given above - but they are performed on occasion when needed. As another example, the Seleucid phalanx forming hollow square at Magnesia ?
Asklepiodotos, who records the complicated evolutions places no emphasis on half-file leaders, who would be as important as the file-leaders in your system. III 5 is quite explicit file-leaders need to be x, those behind them y and file closers z. No mention of the qualities required by half-file leaders. It is clear that such a position did exist but it was equally clearly only important in circumstances where there was too much ground for a phalanx in normal depth to cover, as at Issos and the opening stage of Kynoskephalai .
Firstly,the term 'file leaders' when being applied generically to a phalanx in close order would include the half-file leaders who now formed half the front rank. Secondly there would be no need to emphasise qualities of a half-file leader who essentially had but one simple task - and hence nothing like the responsibilities of the actual file-leader. Asclepiodotus ( as well as Arrian and Aelian) specifically refers to half-file AND quarter-file leaders - the latter necessary in a Macedonian style phalanx to form 'locked shields/synaspismos'.

In your hypothesis, where phalanxes deploy in close order and fight as many as 16 deep, what function do these half-file and quarter-file leaders have ? Not to mention that any phalanx would always form up on as minimal a depth as possible, and as large a front so as not to be outflanked ( subject also to the other major governing factor as to depth, namely terrain).....

Furthermore, once we get to the ultimate evolution of the phalanx as described in the three versions of the Hellenistic drill manual including Asclepiodotus, there is absolutely no doubt that the phalanx formed up initially in normal/open order, for we are specifically told so ! See e.g. Aelian 11.2 "..a man occupies 4 cubits drawn up in normal order.." and 11.6 "Therefore since there are 1,024 file leaders drawn up along the front of the phalanx, it is evident that deployed they occupy 4,096 cubits in length, that is 10 stades and 96 cubits." ( The phalanx at this point is drawn up in files 16 deep)

That close order was formed only at the last minute is also stated at Aelian 14.2 "For a man with his arms on the point of engaging occupies 2 cubits."( compact or close order/pyknosis)
Re the relative value of the systems; the phalanx could not win without cavalry support, nor could it operate in broken terrain; roman legions could. Neither Pydna nor Kynoskephalai were long hard fought battles, Pydna was only an hour long allegedly and only 100 Romans died allegedly. After Magnesia both the Seleukids and the Ptolemies began to raise infantry of Roman type, an unlikely investment were it not felt that it would confer a significant advantage, and they would not be influenced by Roman propaganda only the evidence of their own experience. One should also bear in mind that it was not the legions that defeated the phalanx at Magnesia but the light troops and their missiles which maddened the foolishly placed elephants.

The legion was the superior system for me.
I don't think any of this last is true. Roman Legions were just as vulnerable to flank attacks as a phalanx, and needed cavalry support just as much.......Hannibal would have laughed at such a statement since better cavalry support was what won him all his battles in Italy against the Legions, and the lack of superior cavalry lost him Zama...........
Despite Polybius' famous passage, a Macedonian phalanx was quite capable of fighting in rough terrain - consider the battle along the mountain ridges at Sellasia for example. One doesn't usually think of a phalanx as 'mountain troops', but Xenophon's hoplites also fought in mountainous terrain.

It is not uncommon in warfare for a defeated power to adopt the arms of its successful foe - making the mistake of thinking that it was the 'system' that beat them. In fact, neither Seleucids nor Ptolemies had any more success with their 'imitation legionaries' than they had with their phalanxes ( and they didn't entirely change over anyway). The reasons for Rome's inexorable rise was not to be found in any military 'system' - after all, the Legions were beaten as often as not down the years, by all sorts of different foes and 'systems'.

That is why debates such as "Legion v Phalanx" are a complete waste of time. Which would be more likely to win if it were newly enrolled legions v Alexander's veteran phalanx ? Scipio's veterans v a newly called up militia phalanx? What of the key factor of flank support ? Terrain advantages? Ability of the respective Commanders? Morale?.....the list goes on and on and the weapons and tactics of the P.B.I ( poor bloody infantry) are generally but a minor factor.....one simply can't say "system A was better than System B" because each battle was unique and it all depends on the circumstances. I can certainly think of a number of scenarios where having a phalanx would be a distinct advantage !! :lol: :lol:

Whew !! Did I overlook anything ? Oh well, too bad if I did, this post is really quite long enough !! :shock:
Hypaspist

Post by Hypaspist »

Excellent debate. So well put and well argued points. Nothing to add, really.
It is not uncommon in warfare for a defeated power to adopt the arms of its successful foe - making the mistake of thinking that it was the 'system' that beat them. In fact, neither Seleucids nor Ptolemies had any more success with their 'imitation legionaries' than they had with their phalanxes ( and they didn't entirely change over anyway). The reasons for Rome's inexorable rise was not to be found in any military 'system' - after all, the Legions were beaten as often as not down the years, by all sorts of different foes and 'systems'.

That is why debates such as "Legion v Phalanx" are a complete waste of time. Which would be more likely to win if it were newly enrolled legions v Alexander's veteran phalanx ? Scipio's veterans v a newly called up militia phalanx? What of the key factor of flank support ? Terrain advantages? Ability of the respective Commanders? Morale?.....the list goes on and on and the weapons and tactics of the P.B.I ( poor bloody infantry) are generally but a minor factor.....one simply can't say "system A was better than System B" because each battle was unique and it all depends on the circumstances. I can certainly think of a number of scenarios where having a phalanx would be a distinct advantage !!
This IS the best outlay I've heard so far on the "Legio vs Phalanx" debate. I wish every forum in the world on this topic could read it. It absolutely cuts through all nonsense and captures the essence.

However, I still wonder about your views on:

-Andriscus actually won a battle against the romans. He raised a Thracian army, invaded Macedonia and beat the praetor Publius Juventius in 149b.c. Now this is pretty, pretty astonishing...

Cassios Dio, Fragmens of Book XXI
The Romans at first scorned Andriscus, and then they sent Scipio Nasica to settle matters there in some peaceable manner. On reaching Greece and ascertaining what had occurred, he sent a letter to the Romans explaining the situation; then after collecting troops from the allies there he devoted himself to the business in hand and advanced as far as Macedonia. The people of Rome, when informed of the doings of Andriscus, sent an army along with Publius Juventius, a praetor. Juventius had just reached the vicinity of Macedonia when Andriscus gave battle, killed the praetor, and would have annihilated his entire force had they not withdrawn by night.

- I can't believe Archelaus army was as many as 120 000 at Chaeronea?? And the romans only 40 000? That has to be pure propaganda! How many did the romans lose according to Sulla? 14, 15 men... pleeeaaaseeee! I read the account of the battle and it sounds chaotic at best. Intense combat ensued in the center of the line, however the battle was decided on the flanks. Archelaus' cavalry charge on the roman left nearly left it crumbled, upon which Sulla crossed from the roman right to help out prompting Archelaus to move south to attack the vulnerable roman right(!), whereupon (sigh)Sulla headed back to the south! Anyhow, as you all know, the romans then went onto the offensive and pushed back their opponents.The pontic reatreat turned into a rout.
Plutarch in Life of Sylla:
Many barbarians were slain in the field, many more were cut in pieces as they were making into the camp. Of all the vast multitude, ten thousand only got safe into Chalcis. Sylla writes that there were but fourteen of his soldiers missing, and that two of these returned towards evening

I would like to know what you think of this battle? Why did the Pontic army lose? And what do you have to say about the numbers; death toll, opponents?? The pontic army could hardly have amassed some 120 000??

-The battle of Orchomenus of 86 B.C also ended in total disaster. It's always the same... the phalanx being disrupted by their own, and the romans capitalizing on it... sigh... What do you guys have to say about the numbers? Romans 15 000, the pontic army 75 000? 100 romans killed while about 15 000 on the other side slain??