What might Alexander's rule have been like if he had lived l

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

just curious

What might Alexander's rule have been like if he had lived l

Post by just curious »

What might Alexander's rule have been like if he had lived longer?
Terratheon

Re: What might Alexander's rule have been like if he had liv

Post by Terratheon »

An excellent question: I do not recall whether it was Diodorous of Livius, but one ancint source surmises he would have attempted to conquer Carthage, Magna Greacia, Sicily and might even have knocked on the door of Rome. I believe he would have attempted to incorporate Sicily and Magna Greacia into his empire and also take control of Carthage but I doubt he would have much bothered with the bulk of the Italian Peninsula whose natural wealth was little better than resource poor Greece. I suspect his main concern would have been to consolidate his control over the Eastern Empire, and settling Hellenic colonists throughout that region to promote the reciprocal cultural diffusion which might have facilitated a culturally as well as a politically, militarily and economically unified empire. His positioning himself as a God was primarily a political ploy to induce disparate ethnic groups to find some common denominator in the form of a leader who was divine, and therefore able to transcend and unify the various national divisionGÇÖs. Of course Alexander, with his megalomania might have half believed his own mythological storyline that he was descended from the half-God Achilles. In any event Alexander would have founded it very difficult to induce ethnocentric Hellenes to accept Persians, Indians, Egyptians and others as equal citizens of a unified empire. The Romans were able to transform Alexander dream into reality precisely because they gave faithful allies (Allia) full Roman citizenship status after they had collectively or individually proven their loyalty. The Romans eventually extended this privilege to non Italians, a step the Greco Macedonia Empire was unwilling to take. Alexander would have found the unification of his empire far more difficult and time-consuming t
Terratheon

Re: What might Alexander's rule have been like if he had liv

Post by Terratheon »

(Continued from previous post)
Alexander would have found the unification of his empire far more difficult and time-consuming than its conquest, unless he found a way to erode the Hellenic ethnocentrism, which ironically was widely preached by Aristotle, the very person who more than any other, inculcated the idea of a cosmopolitan Greek empire into the mind of his pupil, Alexander.