Alexander's route from Granicus to Sardis

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

delos13
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Alexander's route from Granicus to Sardis

Post by delos13 »

Arian writes that after battle of Granicus Alexander went to Sardis. I am trying to figure out the route. Did he return to coastline of Aegean Sea, took the seashore route and then went inland or he went directly south? If anybody knows the answer, I would really appreciate the help.

Also, if anybody knows a good online source to the detailed maps of Ancient world in general and Alexander's routes in particular, I will be mostly grateful.
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Re: Alexander's route from Granicus to Sardis

Post by agesilaos »

We have discussed this on a thread with exactly the same name, started by Chris Peers you can use the search facility to find it; I favoured the coastal route though others thaought that an army of 45,000 could cross the barren wastes of the Kappadokian plataeu :roll:
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Link to old thread to make it easier to find.

Best regards
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
delos13

Post by delos13 »

Thank you very much, Agesilaos and Amyntoros, for the information and link. It proved very useful to me. Granted, after reading all the arguments, I still can't make up my mind, so, as so often with Alexander's world, I take solace in my belief in multiply realities....

Still, I took away a great treasure from this discussion, i.e. link provided by Agesilaos to the digital map of the Roman Empire. I have to remember that it reflects the reality of some 300? years after Alexander yet it is better than modern Google maps. I wish somebody would create the similar digital map of Alexander's Empire.
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

You need to go to 'antiquity a-la-carte', there the maps are based on different timelines; I confess that i have not gotten round to playing with it fully
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.
delos13

Post by delos13 »

Oh, I am having a heart attack. :) I spent so much time trying to find such a website but google couldn't read my thoughts and gave me lots of useless links. Since this year I probably won't be able to travel physically, I can at least do it virtually.

Many thanks for this suggestion. I am geographically obsessed person and always bemoan lack of maps in the books I read and inability to find necessary geo info for my stories set up in ATG time. I am eternally grateful!