Tactike theoriai – manuals or philosophy

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

Xenophon
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Tactike theoriai – manuals or philosophy

Post by Xenophon »

Your response is purely argumentative nit-picking. It offers up no evidence for any of your previous assertions, nor does it introduce anything new. In future, I am not going to respond to such posts which often simply assert the same false information over and over – so obviously an application of Dr Goebels principle that he expressed as “If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it.”

Agesilaos wrote 26 Feb

“Looks like you are still confused; how else is one to interpret a claim that I have ‘…overlooked that a 16 strong Macedonian file of sarissaphoroi and called 'hoplites' is also termed a 'dekad',’ four paragraphs after quoting my saying ‘..my position is that ‘dekas’ and its genitive, ‘dekados’ are used to describe files of ten men except for the Macedonian ‘dekas’ under Alexander and probably the later years of Philip when the name of the former organisation was retained but the file had increased to sixteen, the standard strength used in the Taktike ?”
I’m well aware of what you wrote since I quoted it. You have selectively distorted a partial quote of me, just to attempt to ‘score a point’. I was replying to this:

“...the term ’dekas’ is never applied to hoplites,” to which I responded:

“As for dekad never being applied to 'hoplites', that is also utterly untrue for Cyrus' pseudo-Greek hoplites of the Cyropaedia are formed into 'files/dekads'. You've also overlooked that a 16 strong Macedonian file of sarissaphoroi and called 'hoplites' is also termed a 'dekad', that I have referred to frequently.”

Your statement was wrong, proven by the two examples of ‘hoplites’ being in ‘dekads’/files. No confusion at all, but plain as a sarissa staff.

Your assertion that before the time of Philip/Alexander a Macedonian ‘dekad’/file was ten strong, that you have repeated so often, without producing any evidence for it, is an example of your Dr Goebbels methodology. The reason you have not produced a scintilla of evidence for a ten strong Macedonian file is simple – there isn’t any, as I have said previously!

Macedonian society was not such as to produce the social conditions for ‘hoplites’ to form part of the army. When Macedonian Kings of the 5-4 C BC wished to raise heavy infantry ‘hoplites’, they either hired Greek mercenaries or raised them from ‘metic’ Greek immigrants in the cities [ see e.g. Thucydides IV.124 - which has been discussed in previous threads]. ‘Hoplite’ equipment did exist in 7-4 century Macedon, but only among the top aristocrats, as has been shown from archaeological digs [e.g. Archontiko, where since the year 2000 thousands of graves have been excavated, including over 400 bronze helmets from aristocratic burials, almost all the so-called ‘Illyrian’ type which many think should be renamed ‘Macedonian’]
Since only hoplite-type heavy infantry fight in organised files/’dekads’, NO hoplites means NO files/dekads of ten (or any other number).

Agesilaos wrote:
“Nor am I discussing, drill, simply whether ‘dekas’ means a file of ten or simply a file, surely you see that a putative drill can be applied to a file of any depth explicitly ten and later twelve, in the Kyrou Paideia or the Taktikeis’ sixteen. The usage 'file/dekad' presupposes your ‘generic interpretation’ and should only be used once that position is established in order to avoid confusion.”
Not discussing drill? In a thread on ‘Taktike’/art of arranging (troops)? Drill is how troops get into formation!
Nor is it ‘my’ generic interpretation, but that of every reputable translator I am aware of, without exception. The ‘established position’ is that ‘dekad’ DOES refer to generic file, and if you assert it means specifically, and only, ten then you must prove it by adducing evidence.
“The consequences are clear in the subsequent exegesis, where ‘dekas is used the strength of the file is ten men and the officers are dekadarchoi, commanders of ten; when Xenophon changes his strength for the files in Kyrou Paideia to twelve the officers change from ‘dekadarchoi’ to ‘dodekadarchoi’, the number specific name of the officer matching the strength of his command.”
You cannot – so far in over 15 pages - produce a shred of evidence that ‘dekas’/file in a Greek context means specifically ‘file of ten’. Indeed you contradict yourself by pointing out Greeks were NOT formed in files of ten – with which I agree !
“Lexica give examples of the type of usage and are neither infallible nor exhaustive in their exempla, that is agreed, but the point is that the example given refers to ‘dekas’ used non-number specifically, ie. generally where its force is vague like ‘group’, it has no military application in this case so ‘’company’ [squad, group, file]’ remains misinterpretation, not clarification.”
And on what basis do you assert this? Where is there evidence that the generic meaning of ‘company/group/squad’ cannot refer to a military context ? Again this goes against every recognised translation.
“Xenophon wrote:
As you have pointed out, Greek or Macedonian files never consisted of files ten deep in the field.

Not so as the eagle-eyed reader will have noticed ‘..my position is that ‘dekas’ and its genitive, ‘dekados’ are used to describe files of ten men except for the Macedonian ‘dekas’ under Alexander and probably the later years of Philip when the name of the former organisation was retained but the file had increased to sixteen, the standard strength used in the Taktike.’ Implies what I have stated earlier, that the Macedonian ‘dekas’ started life ten deep and retained the name when expanded to sixteen.”
1. You cannot provide a single example of a ‘dekad/file’ which is unequivocally ten deep.
2. There is no evidence that a Macedonian file was ever ten deep, and indeed prior to the sarissa phalanx of Philip and Alexander, which was 16 deep, there is no evidence of ‘heavy infantry/hoplites’ in the Macedonian army whatever. ( see detailed explanation above)
3. Whilst the evidence is slender, the only ‘dekads/files’ which have known depths are, for infantry, 12 (Cyropaedia) and 16 (Arrian) and we can deduce cavalry depths for Xenophon’s files/dekads/stichoi. The manuals tell us that the Greeks used ‘square’ cavalry formations, whose frontage was twice or three times the depth. Arrian [16] refers to 10x5 deep and 9x3 deep; Asclepiodotus [VIII.4] to 16x8 deep, and also depths of ‘3 or 4 horsemen’; Aelian [XVIII] refers to 8x4 deep, 10x 5 deep, and 9x3 deep. Polybius[XII.18] tells us maximum cavalry depth is 8. All emphasise that deep formations are no good for cavalry. Whatever depth Xenophon’s cavalry ‘dekads/stichoi’ were, it was certainly less than ten. His usage of ‘dekad’ must therefore be generic, as is also the case in the ‘Cyropaedia’.
“Let’s go with the translations you offer; the fact still remains that Arrian says a ‘dekania’ consists of ten men explicitly. True LSJ, which has just been characterised as neither complete nor ‘gospel true’ does give ‘decury’ as a translation for ‘dekania’, but if you use the word frequency statistic function of Perseus you will find that it appears in the literature in only two instances, here in Arrian and in the parallel passage in Asklepiodotos; epigraphically it is attested as a measure of land and as ‘the guardhouse of a decury’; sadly any search for the more usual word for ‘decuria’ in Greek texts is hampered by the engine throwing out every instance of ‘ten’! However, Polybios’ discussion of the Roman army calls the leaders of ‘decuriae’ ‘dekadarchoi’ VI 25, which would make them officers of ‘dekadoi’ ten strong.”
Yes, I referred to there being but two usages of ‘dekania’ – in the manuals - a little earlier in the thread, but you have it backwards. The LSJ says ‘dekania’ is the Greek translation of the latin term ‘decury’. A ‘decurion’, despite the literal meaning of the Latin, did NOT command ten men. Of the 3 ‘Decurions’ of a 30 man ‘turma’/troop, one commanded the troop, and the other two assisted him, as second and third in command. None commanded a file of ten. [Polyb VI.25.2], and by Imperial times, the assistant ‘decuriones’ had gone, leaving a single ‘decurion’ commanding the 30 man turma. So in Latin, as in Greek we see a word originating in ‘ten’ evolving into a very different meaning. Another example is Vegetius, whom you refer to, calling the commander of a Roman infantry ‘contubernium’/tent party/squad of eight a ‘decanus’. To be consistent, are you going to argue that a ‘decurion’ or ‘decanus’ only ever commanded ten men, as you do for ‘dekad’ ? LOL!
Since it is Polybius who explicitly tells us that the ‘decurion’/dekadarch commands 30 men, he can hardly have believed that ‘dekadarch’ ONLY meant ‘commander of ten’. An alternative Greek translation of ‘decurion’ is ‘dekanos’, which occurs for example in the P.Oxy 387, in a first century AD context.
Let us steer clear of translations of Latin words and Roman usages, which are inexact at best, and can only serve to muddy the waters, and are too far removed from Greek/Early Macedonian usage to be helpful.

Agesilaos wrote:
Since ‘dekania’ is such a rare word it can be taken as certain that it comes from the common source of the Taktikeis, so your explanation is that in a manual explicitly treating the organisation and drill of Hellenistic armies, in a passage dealing with infantry files, the author inserted a note on the name of Roman cavalry units (the Romans had no decuria among their infantry, that level of unit was the ‘contubernium’ unhelpfully commanded by a ‘decanus’ in the later empire, Vegetius, De Res Militari, 2 viii). Maybe this theory needs some work?

The Macedonian ‘Dekas’ IS the only candidate; ‘Refutation, refutation ? Where art thou, refutation.’ The Gods may decide which of us is guilty of hubris.
Yes, I already mentioned that the word was one piece of evidence that the versions of the manual derived from a common source....are you suffering from the onset of ‘Oldtimers disease’, perchance ? LOL!

I don’t know why a Greek translation of a Latin cavalry term has crept into an entry regarding nomenclature of phalanx files, but it is clearly an error of some kind and not to be relied on.[Or could the LSJ entry be in error? LOL!]
All the versions of the manual have 'Romanisms' that have crept into them. Arrian's section on cavalry in his version of the 'Taktike' is purely a description of Roman cavalry exercises.

As I have demonstrated, not only is there no evidence of a Macedonian ‘dekas’ EVER numbering 10, there is no evidence of native Macedonian heavy infantry/hoplites at all prior to Philip/Alexander.

So Macedonian ‘dekas’ is not a candidate AT ALL !!

Agesilaos wrote:
J.K.Anderson wrote:
‘To sum up, Xenophon’s evidence on the Spartan military organisation does not contradict itself, and I believe that it is better not to tinker with it in order to make it fit other pieces of information (for example, the list of five locoi), which should be referred to other periods, or to multiply the Spartan numbers. Thucydides cannot have got the Spartan organisation right, because his evidence does not fit his own account of the battle of Mantinea, but we cannot say with certainty what is wrong, or how it is to be corrected. I have tried to indicate what mistakes must be assumed if we are to suppose that the Spartan army in 418 BC. Was in fact organised in the same units as in the early fourth century, and how some of these mistakes might have arisen. Two reorganisations of the Spartan army, one between the Persian and Peloponnesian Wars, probably as a result of the earthquake of 464 BC, and one after the disaster of Leuktra, need to be assumed on this hypothesis, and I do not pretend that it is more than a hypothesis.’
Anderson, 1970 MTPAX, pp240-41

Seems he did reach his own conclusions about organisation and that they accord with those on the thread on ‘The Strength of Spartan Units’, I never claimed these were original, after all the son of Gryllos had already written them.
I don’t see any conclusions about Spartan organisation in your quotation, merely references to various assumptions that need to be made for any particular hypothesis. The appendix is filled with “ifs” “it is necessary to assume” “the supposition is” and so on. He goes on to refer to more assumptions about Spartan manpower that need to be made. His only real conclusion is that all the various theories regarding Spartan organisation are disputed.
Xenophon
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Xenophon »

Agesilaos posted this on the "Kynoskephalae" thread, but it seems more pertinent to here, so I have shifted his post in order to reply....
Can't quite remember where Arrian's Taktike is being discussed but it is apposite here so as a point of information, Xenophon would you post the version of 5 vi given in the two translations you have (if we might know whose they are that would be handy, I know of one in 'Ancient World' and another re-published by Ares but have neither). The Greek is on Perseus and is

[6] καὶ εἴτε διπλασιάσαι δεήσειεν τὸ βάθος ἐπὶ τριάκοντα δύο ἄνδρας, ἡ τάξις σύμμετρος ἔσται: εἴτε
αὖ μηκῦναι τὸ μέτωπον ἐς ὀκτώ, ἔσται οὐ πάντη ἀβαθὴς ἡ φάλαγξ. τὴν δὲ ἐς ὀκτὼ εἰ ἐκτεῖναι
ἐθελήσειας ἐπὶ τέσσαρας, ἀβαθὴς γίγνεται

The last line seems to be saying something fatal for your case, but maybe it is just my bad translating.
....and.....

Maybe you have mis-placed your books; I make it

And if it is desired to double the depth to 32men, the unit will be of the appropriate measure: again, if prolonging the front line to eight deep, the phalanx will not become wholly lacking in depth. Should one wish to move [the phalanx] from eight to four deep it will become lacking in depth.
The two translations of Arrian’s “Taktike” that I have are a personal one, supplied for me by a kindly Classics professor whose name I can’t recall, from Birmingham University more than 40 years ago for the purposes of my PhD, and the rather literal version of De Voto published by Ares that you referred to.
The former translates:
And should it become necessary to double the depth to that of 32 men, the arrangements will be in proportion. Likewise, should it be necessary to extend the front line and reduce the depth to 8, the phalanx will not be altogether without depth. But should you wish to extend the front and move from 8 to 4 deep, it becomes shallow. [ Accordingly when the file/lochos is first paraded, the strongest man must be chosen as its leader/lochagos."]

You did not include the next sentence in brackets, necessary for context.

My Professor noted that the text in this section is garbled so as to be unintelligible, and for translation purposes he had adopted the emendations of the text editor, Roos.

The De Voto version has:
And if it is necessary to double the depth to 32men the formation will [still] be proportionate.If the formation is set at eight in front, the phalanx will not be entirely depthless. But if you should wish to extend [the phalanx] at eight to four, it becomes shallow. [Hence it is necessary to choose as the unit’s deployer/lochagos, the most forceful man as commander. He is called both chief and leader/protostatos.”]

Clearly Arrian envisages that the phalanx can close to quarter-files four deep, as in ‘synaspismos/locked shields’, but uses this minimum depth for the phalanx to rationalise having the strongest men as file-leaders/lochagoi.

Compare Aelian’s analagous sections, 4.9 and 5.1, who does not refer to 4 deep, but at 5.1 says:
The best man of each file is thus stationed first and is its commander, and is thus called the file-leader/lochagos, leader/hegemon, and front-ranker/protostates.”....
5.4 “It is necessary for the file-leader/lochagos and the file-closer/ouragos to excel the others in quality, and after them the commanders of the half-files/hemilochites and then the half-file-closers likewise.”

Asclepiodotus [iii.5] merely says “.... we shall place the strongest in the front rank and behind them the most intelligent, and of the former the file-leaders shall be those who excel in size, strength and skill; because this line of file-leaders binds the phalanx together...”

All three agree that the file-leaders should be the ‘brawniest’, but each then rationalises the reason for this in a different way !
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

30 August Xenophon wrote
Falling foul of Godwin's law causes the individual making the comparison to automatically lose his argument or credibility.

Clearly you fail to understand that if one mentions something it can hardly be said to have been ‘overlooked’, not point scoring merely clarification for those who do not bother to read long quotes, oh and to defend myself against the false charge of ignoring the Macedonian case.

If you steadfastly refuse to see the evidence that Xenophon’s thorakophoroi are in files of ten, as are the cavalry in his Hipparchos, and dismiss the Persian decades in Herodotos, then it will be difficult to produce any evidence, but ‘refutation’ of an argument is rather more than simply saying that the evidence offered is irrelevant. Nor does the constant misconstruing of arguments that you post as quotes help your case viz. when I write ‘…my position is that ‘dekas’ and its genitive, ‘dekados’ are used to describe files of ten men except for the Macedonian ‘dekas’ under Alexander and probably the later years of Philip when the name of the former organisation was retained but the file had increased to sixteen,’ it hardly means ‘before the time of Philip/Alexander’, although I do believe that there was an earlier organised infantry, based upon the famous fragment of Anaximenes and Frontinus IV 6; but these are both testimonies you would disallow, the first is too contentious and the second a Latin source translating a Greek somewhere along the line, ho hum.

Thukydides’ Lynkestian hoplites seem another problem, but they were apparently Greek immigrants living in the cities of the highlands which had no cities before Philip II, interesting. But not germane as I made plain, to anyone with a basic grasp of English the dekas was ten strong at the beginning of Philip II’s reign, which is the period specified by Frontinus (‘When Philip was raising his first army…’). Not a scintilla of evidence if you ignore it of course.

Ah, outrage; not discussing drill in that post not the whole thread, I am sure that was clear to everyone else, and the reason is get you to address the point; a vain attempt.

Once again there is evidence and evidence you will accept as evidence, I have produced plenty of the former but doubt any of the latter exists, others will make up their own minds.

And on what basis do you assert this? Where is there evidence that the generic meaning of ‘company/group/squad’ cannot refer to a military context ? Again this goes against every recognised translation.

Evidence? You have added ‘group, squad’ to pretend that the ‘company’ referred to is a military unit yet the exemplum is clear that it means a ‘group’, ‘class’,’gang’ which is why the translator of the example renders it as ‘number’; harping on like this demonstrates that you do not understand how LSJ works or you are being deceitful in order to persuade others to a lost cause.

On the numbered points;
1.If you simply reject any example, of course, if you reject Herodotos’ Persian decades, twist the implication of Xenophon calling his files dekades under dekadarchoi and dodekadarchia under dodekadarchs and that the dekados in the Hipparchos is divided into pempadoi etc then there is no evidence but according to Occam’s Razor one should prefer the solution with the fewest assumptions which means a unit called a ‘ten’ will contain ten men and that called a group of five, five and so on.
2. Indeed no evidence other than the name itself and Frontinus IV 6.
3. More lies, sorry that is what it is when the Cyropaedia calls units tens and twelves but you only pretend that 12 is meant, but maybe you actually believe that. Yes, Arrian does make a dekados sixteen in the ‘Anabasis’, but on a natural interpretation, ten in his Taktike. Unfortunately for the discourse on the Manuals depths for cavalry, Xenophon makes it clear that his cavalry are intended to actually fight five deep, which is why they move to this depth when the country allows.

So, the only use of ‘dekania’ for a military unit is in the manuals in the context of infantry organisation, so LSJ is not suggesting that it is equivalent to the Roman cavalry ‘decuria’ but offers ‘decury’ as classicists will recognise that as a unit of ten men.

Decurions did, of course command decuria which were groups of ten (as civilian decuriae were too). Let us look at what Polybios actually says VI 25
παραπλησίως δὲ καὶ τοὺς ἱππεῖς εἰς ἴλας δέκα διεῖλον, ἐξ ἑκάστης δὲ τρεῖς προκρίνουσιν ἰλάρχας, οὗτοι δ᾽ αὐτοὶ τρεῖς προσέλαβον οὐραγούς. [2] ὁ μὲν οὖν πρῶτος αἱρεθεὶς ἰλάρχης ἡγεῖται τῆς ἴλης, οἱ δὲ δύο δεκαδάρχων ἔχουσι τάξιν, καλοῦνται δὲ πάντες δεκουρίωνες. μὴ παρόντος δὲ τοῦ πρώτου πάλιν ὁ δεύτερος ἰλάρχου λαμβάνει τάξιν.
Similarly they divide the cavalry into ten squadrons (turmae)[ ἴλας], and from each they select three officers (decuriones)[ ἰλάρχας], who each select a subaltern (optio)[ οὐραγούς]. The decurio first elected commands the squadron[ἴλης,], the other two[οἱ δὲ δύο δεκαδάρχων] have the rank of decuriones[δεκουρίωνες]: a name indeed which applies to all alike. If the first decurio[ἰλάρχου ] is not on the field, the second takes command of the squadron[τάξιν].
The translator’s Latin equivalents is less than helpful here. The Greek is clear enough but an important phrase is entirely lost in translation, to whit οἱ δὲ δύο δεκαδάρχων ἔχουσι τάξιν,’ the two other dekadarchs each take charge of their own units’. It follows from this that the three ilarchs are also three dekadarchs each holding command of a ten man decuria – three officers called commanders of ten and thirty men with two specifically commanding their own units when the primus decurio is in charge of the turma is the simplest solution, good old Occam.

Polybios is somewhat perplexed as to how to relate what he knows to his Greek audience, however, and Shuckburgh’s free translation, whilst fine for casual reading is insufficient for the technical details. Polybios calls the turma an ile and since he knows that all three elected officers may take charge of the whole unit and that they all have the same title he calls all three ilarchs initially, and their chosen assistants, optiones, ‘ouragoi’ – file closers. Now, I could raise the central digit and conclude that this is proof that the Roman cavalry DID fight in files of ten each led by a Decurion and closed by an optio, the evidence is here and irrefutable! However, I do not believe that to be the case. I suspect that they fought in files of five (whilst the Romans were originally inexpert on cavalry matters the evidence of this same chapter is that they had advanced due to contact with the Greeks; probably Pyrrhos) , much like the arrangement described in Xenophon’s Hipparchos. It is, however, significant that the only word Polybios has for an optio level cavalry officer is ‘file closer’ , ‘ouragos’, had it meant what you claim, one might expect ‘pempadarchos’ to rear its head, but perhaps the word had become lost in the mists of Time. Polybios then explains that all the officers are ‘dekadarchs’ which his audience will understand as ‘commanders of ten’; note NOT a FILE of ten, just ‘ten’, he then transliterates the rank, ‘ decurio’ δεκουρίων . In the final sentence we get that Greek habit of never calling a spade a spade twice in a row , so even though he has just declared that all three officers ore called decurions, Polybios reverts to calling them ilarchs and the turma a taxis !

In the imperial army there was only one Decurion per turma, but the other two still existed in the guise of the duplicarius (second in command) and the sesquiplicarius(third in command); what we have here is the persistence of older nomenclature, although I suspect that the other were also ranked as decuriones as before but in the professional army were known by the qualifier to their rank – duplicarii and sesquiplicarii were so termed for how their pay related to that of the standard trooper,; double and one and a half times, respectively, as these distinctions also exist in the other units of the Roman Imperial Army there was probably a distinguishing title for reasons of clarity, Roman troops lacked much of the insignia that display the branch of service and ranks of the modern military, especially in undress.
The later ‘decanus’ was also in charge of ten men – eight soldiers and two servants, otherwise he would not have been called a ‘decanus’.

If you look at the entry for ‘dekanos’ in LSJ
δεκα_νός , ὁ, = Lat.
A.decurio, IGRom.1.1046 (Alexandria); police officer in Egypt, PTeb.27.31 (ii B.C.), POxy.387 (i A.D.), etc.
You will see that the exemplum POxy 387 is given for the meaning ‘policeman’; further if you look up the papyrus in question you find
[18 lines missing]

Σεβαστῆι ἐν Σενέπτα
σταθμοῦχ(ος)
ἐκφόδιος
δεκανοί
προφήτης
To the Temple of the Emperor’s divinity ( Sebasteion) in Senepta
A Landlord
? (LSJ citing this papyrus says ‘sense dubious’)
Policemen (dekanoi)
A prophet (or possibly an interpreter)
This looks more like a temple guard than anything military.

The exemplum for the meaning ‘decurio’ is IGRom 1 1046
Eg. — Alexandria: Kaisareion — 162-166? AD — Kayser 106; SB 1.972
— — —(?)
[—?—] δεκανῶν τῶν ἐν στόλῳ πραιτορίῳ [— — —]
[—?—] θεῶν Καισάρων ἐν τῇδε τῇ στήλῃ [․․․․․ Αὐτοκράτορος]
[—?—] Καίσαρος Λ(ουκίου) Αὐρηλίου Οὐήρου Σεβασ[τοῦ — — —]
— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —του ἐκ τῶ[ν ․․․․]
That you do not wish to speculate on the term intended by the dekania of the manuals does not surprise me, maybe we should put it to the vote, is it an intrusion of Roman cavalry terminology into a discourse on Hellenistic infantry or might it be a corruption of the similar ‘dekados’? I wonder what the oft mentioned Occam would say.

Perhaps you can supply some of the ‘Romanisms’ from Asklepiodotos and Aelian, Arrian sets out to describe the exercises of the Roman cavalry and this is unique to him, and is one of his many contributions in the least dependent of the Taktikeis.

Demonstrating something consists of rather more than denying the validity of any evidence and repeating the refrain; you think that the Roman cavalry decuria is a candidate ‘res ipsa loquitor’ as someone recently misspelled. :twisted:

Since there is much talk on your part of Occam’s razor, but little sign of its use, I will paraphrase a famous quote, ‘Il faut imaginer Xenophon barbareux’!. :lol:

People can decide whether Anderson is as undecided as you would like, needless to say all numbers for units given throughout the text conform to the strengths I give in the thread. :roll:
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

And if it is desired to double the depth to 32men, the unit will be of the appropriate measure: again, if prolonging the front line to eight deep, the phalanx will not become wholly lacking in depth. Should one wish to move [the phalanx] from eight to four deep it will become lacking in depth. My translation
“And should it become necessary to double the depth to that of 32 men, the arrangements will be in proportion. Likewise, should it be necessary to extend the front line and reduce the depth to 8, the phalanx will not be altogether without depth. But should you wish to extend the front and move from 8 to 4 deep, it becomes shallow. [ Accordingly when the file/lochos is first paraded, the strongest man must be chosen as its leader/lochagos."] Anon Prof
“ And if it is necessary to double the depth to 32men the formation will [still] be proportionate.If the formation is set at eight in front, the phalanx will not be entirely depthless. But if you should wish to extend [the phalanx] at eight to four, it becomes shallow. [Hence it is necessary to choose as the unit’s deployer/lochagos, the most forceful man as commander. He is called both chief and leader/protostatos.”]De Voto
I omitted the final sentence because it is not needed for context at all, I can see that your translations would lead you to believe that but both translators have overlooked the purely resumptive use of 'oun', there is no train of logic here, which is when a translation of 'hence' or 'accordingly' would be appropriate, instead Arrian is resuming his exegesis after a personal aside, κείσθω – For my part – in the preceding verse, signals the start of the digression, 'oun' the resumption of working from the archetype. A moments thought will show that your explanation cannot be right.

Clearly Arrian envisages that the phalanx can close to quarter-files four deep, as in ‘synaspismos/locked shields’, but uses this minimum depth for the phalanx to rationalise having the strongest men as file-leaders/lochagoi.

When the phalanx is four deep the lochagoi are only every fourth man, that they should be the strongest men applies when they lead their files and the phalanx is at its normal fighting depth of sixteen, which is why the parallel passage in Asklepiodotos says of them '...because this line of file-leaders binds the phalanx together...”

Arrian is explaining why he considers the depth of sixteen the most useful, because it can simply form 32 deep, or eight deep which he considers useful on occasion, though he does not say when nor at what interval, what he does say is that four deep, which is also achievable without having men over, which is what the Greek means by symmetrical (but is not what we would mean), is depthless, ie too weak to be useful; were he envisioning the densest interval suitable for defence as always being four deep this statement would be impossible, unless you now wish to consign Arrian, who actually commanded armies, to the same bin as Polybios, who at least held a command and actually saw phalanxes in action.
Xenophon
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Xenophon »

Lord save us ! Another almost 2,500 words of incorrect assertions and irrelevant material.....
Agesilaos wrote:
30 August Xenophon wrote

Falling foul of Godwin's law causes the individual making the comparison to automatically lose his argument or credibility.
Godwin’s law refers to comparisons with Hitler or Nazism, and I referred to neither, but rather Goebbels in his capacity as founder of modern propaganda and ‘spin’.....so no breach there, then !!
Goebbels wrote, "The most brilliant propagandist technique will yield no success unless one fundamental principle is borne in mind constantly...it must confine itself to a few points and repeat them over and over."

Agesilaos wrote:
If you steadfastly refuse to see the evidence that Xenophon’s thorakophoroi are in files of ten, as are the cavalry in his Hipparchos, and dismiss the Persian decades in Herodotos, then it will be difficult to produce any evidence, but ‘refutation’ of an argument is rather more than simply saying that the evidence offered is irrelevant. Nor does the constant misconstruing of arguments that you post as quotes help your case viz. when I write ‘…my position is that ‘dekas’ and its genitive, ‘dekados’ are used to describe files of ten men except for the Macedonian ‘dekas’ under Alexander and probably the later years of Philip when the name of the former organisation was retained but the file had increased to sixteen,’ it hardly means ‘before the time of Philip/Alexander’, although I do believe that there was an earlier organised infantry, based upon the famous fragment of Anaximenes and Frontinus IV 6; but these are both testimonies you would disallow, the first is too contentious and the second a Latin source translating a Greek somewhere along the line, ho hum.
Where does Xenophon say that Cyrus’ hoplites formed up ten deep ? The only depth he gives for the ‘dekads/files’ of Cyrus’ phalanx is 12 deep ( on one occasion and a second one when he uses his made-up term ‘dodekad’). Furthermore, he tells us that there were “100”(round figure) men in a ‘taxis/company’[II.1.26], which consisted of 4 lochoi/platoons’[II.3.21&22], each of two ‘dekads’/files. There were thus 8 ‘dekads/files’ in a ‘taxis/company’,and each ‘dekad’ must have consisted of 12 men – the arithmetic doesn’t work if a ‘dekad’ consisted of 10 men ( which hoplite files never did anyway – as you have averred more than once). Greek cavalry files were NEVER as many as 10 deep ( see my post Mar 8; top of page 16). The fact that Herodotus tells us that Persians were organised into ‘dekas/tens’ tells us nothing about Greek hoplite files – Xenophon is the earliest reference we have to the term ‘dekad’ being used to refer to Greek files, and there is ZERO evidence for Macedonian phalanx ‘dekads/files’ numbering anything other than 16, or that there was a “former organisation”, let alone one numbering ten deep – that is just an un-evidenced assumption based on your other un-evidenced assumption that ‘dekad’ meant file of ten specifically. Anaximenes doesn’t mean what you would like it to, and Frontinus [ at IV.1.6, not “IV.6” for those wishing to look up the reference] writing hundreds of years after phalanx ‘dekads’ had ceased to exist, probably makes the same mistake as you – assuming a file consisted of ten men based on the etymology of the word ‘dekad’, and in any case, doesn’t actually say a file numbered ten - one must infer it.
Thukydides’ Lynkestian hoplites seem another problem, but they were apparently Greek immigrants living in the cities of the highlands which had no cities before Philip II, interesting.
Thucydides doesn’t say that at all, rather that Perdiccas raised hoplites from “Hellenes living in Macedonia.”[IV.124]. We are not told where Arrhibaeus’ Lynkestian hoplites come from – presumably hired Greek mercenaries. You all too evidently don’t bother to check your facts before rushing erroneously into print.
But not germane as I made plain, to anyone with a basic grasp of English the dekas was ten strong at the beginning of Philip II’s reign, which is the period specified by Frontinus (‘When Philip was raising his first army…’). Not a scintilla of evidence if you ignore it of course.
See above on Frontinus – who does NOT actually say a ‘dekad/file’ numbered ten, merely that there was one servant per ten men, and if he inferred this from translating Greek ‘dekad/file’ then as I said, he makes the same mistake as you, namely ASSUMING ‘dekad/file’ consists of ten men from the etymology. In addition, even if it were evidence, then that simply means we have some shaky evidence for ‘dekads’ being ten (maybe, but no actual evidence, only etymological supposition). We do have solid evidence of a 'dekad' being twelve or sixteen strong for infantry, and some number less than ten for cavalry – in other words it just means a generic file in this context, not a specific file of ten, which is how ALL recognised translators treat the word ( and translate as generic ‘squad’ too). You are once again on your own in your ASSUMPTION.
Evidence? You have added ‘group, squad’ to pretend that the ‘company’ referred to is a military unit yet the exemplum is clear that it means a ‘group’, ‘class’,’gang’ which is why the translator of the example renders it as ‘number’; harping on like this demonstrates that you do not understand how LSJ works or you are being deceitful in order to persuade others to a lost cause.
I don’t “pretend” anything, nor am I ever “deceitful”, and I am tired of you using these offensive expressions repeatedly. I referred to ‘recognised translation’ – such as Walter Miller and E.C. Marchant in the Loeb who translate ‘dekad’ as ‘squad’ as does Professor Dakyns – as I have mentioned before, and which you have blithely ignored, as always when the evidence does not suit you. I was not referring to the LSJ – whose generic ‘group’ does in fact encompass this meaning anyway, and there is no reason to suppose that a ‘military group’, or ‘squad’ is excluded.
On the numbered points;
1.If you simply reject any example, of course, if you reject Herodotos’ Persian decades, twist the implication of Xenophon calling his files dekades under dekadarchoi and dodekadarchia under dodekadarchs and that the dekados in the Hipparchos is divided into pempadoi etc then there is no evidence but according to Occam’s Razor one should prefer the solution with the fewest assumptions which means a unit called a ‘ten’ will contain ten men and that called a group of five, five and so on.
See above for the irrelevance of Herodotus ( or Homer too, for that matter). Xenophon specifically refers to ‘dekads’ as 12 deep on two occasions ( one of which is your ‘do-dekad’ ) and also in his ‘dinner drill’[II.3.21], and NEVER refers to a ‘dekad’ as ten deep. Even if one were to allow your non-evidence, all based around your etymological assumption, it is outweighed by definite references to infantry dekads 12 and 16 deep in Xenophon and Arrian, and cavalry files which must be LESS than 10 deep in Xenophon.
Occam’s razor would suggest we should prefer a solution which is not based on un-evidenced etymological assumption, and does not have to rely on an assumption that somehow Xenophon got ‘mixed up’ between files of ten and twelve, or ‘forgot’ that in one part he refers to ‘tens’ and in another ‘twelves’, and hence made a bad mistake – on a subject he was expert in. Simple enough if one takes ‘dekad’ as meaning generic file or squad – as every reputable translator I can find does. Occam’s razor therefore prefers the ‘generic’ meaning, as everyone bar you accepts. Using Occam’s razor, who is more likely to be wrong? You, or Xenophon and all the modern translators? (notwithstanding your aphorism regarding bad opinions held by a majority). The “solution with the fewest assumptions” is the simplest, and correct one. Xenophon consistently refers to Cyrus’ hoplites as being in ‘dekads/files’ 12 deep throughout.
2. Indeed no evidence other than the name itself and Frontinus IV 6.
An ASSUMPTION based on supposed etymology is NOT evidence – I have laid out all the actual evidence. As to Frontinus IV.1.6 ( not “IV.6”) see above – he almost certainly makes the same error as you..
3. More lies, sorry that is what it is when the Cyropaedia calls units tens and twelves but you only pretend that 12 is meant, but maybe you actually believe that. Yes, Arrian does make a dekados sixteen in the ‘Anabasis’, but on a natural interpretation, ten in his Taktike. Unfortunately for the discourse on the Manuals depths for cavalry, Xenophon makes it clear that his cavalry are intended to actually fight five deep, which is why they move to this depth when the country allows.
More personal attacks? I am a ‘liar’ and ‘pretender’( again! ). I have better things to do with my time than engage with a nasty ‘troll’. It is a disgrace to the forum that the moderators have not done something about this constant stream of personal abuse. Despite your insincere ‘mea culpa’ on the Kynoskephalae thread, you continue name-calling and ‘trolling’ unabated. In future, I don't intend to respond to your posts, nor engage with you in debate.

The ‘dekads’ in the Cyropaedia are only ever described as 12 deep – as referred to on 2 occasions, and a ‘dodekad’ on another one – where Xenophon has invented this word to make clear that the dekads are indeed 12 deep.(see above)
So, the only use of ‘dekania’ for a military unit is in the manuals in the context of infantry organisation, so LSJ is not suggesting that it is equivalent to the Roman cavalry ‘decuria’ but offers ‘decury’ as classicists will recognise that as a unit of ten men.

Decurions did, of course command decuria which were groups of ten (as civilian decuriae were too). Let us look at what Polybios actually says VI 25

παραπλησίως δὲ καὶ τοὺς ἱππεῖς εἰς ἴλας δέκα διεῖλον, ἐξ ἑκάστης δὲ τρεῖς προκρίνουσιν ἰλάρχας, οὗτοι δ᾽ αὐτοὶ τρεῖς προσέλαβον οὐραγούς. [2] ὁ μὲν οὖν πρῶτος αἱρεθεὶς ἰλάρχης ἡγεῖται τῆς ἴλης, οἱ δὲ δύο δεκαδάρχων ἔχουσι τάξιν, καλοῦνται δὲ πάντες δεκουρίωνες. μὴ παρόντος δὲ τοῦ πρώτου πάλιν ὁ δεύτερος ἰλάρχου λαμβάνει τάξιν.
Similarly they divide the cavalry into ten squadrons (turmae)[ ἴλας], and from each they select three officers (decuriones)[ ἰλάρχας], who each select a subaltern (optio)[ οὐραγούς]. The decurio first elected commands the squadron[ἴλης,], the other two[οἱ δὲ δύο δεκαδάρχων] have the rank of decuriones[δεκουρίωνες]: a name indeed which applies to all alike. If the first decurio[ἰλάρχου ] is not on the field, the second takes command of the squadron[τάξιν].

The translator’s Latin equivalents is less than helpful here. The Greek is clear enough but an important phrase is entirely lost in translation, to whit οἱ δὲ δύο δεκαδάρχων ἔχουσι τάξιν,’ the two other dekadarchs each take charge of their own units’. It follows from this that the three ilarchs are also three dekadarchs each holding command of a ten man decuria – three officers called commanders of ten and thirty men with two specifically commanding their own units when the primus decurio is in charge of the turma is the simplest solution, good old Occam.
This approximate translation of latin terminology, of course, tells us nothing about Greek usage of the term ‘dekad’ to mean ‘file’ and is an irrelevant digression. Because ‘dekad’ is a generic word, it can also have as one of its meanings ‘group of ten’ – as used by Homer and Herodotus, which is why Polybius uses it to equate the latin word ‘decurion’ as ‘dekadarch’.
Given that ‘taxis’ is used to mean ‘turma’/squadron in this passage, your translation seems unlikely and perhaps should be read as ‘the two dekadarchs take charge of the taxis/turma/squadron’ rather your ‘own units’. Having said which, I don’t doubt that the three ‘decurions’ originally commanded ten men each, but this structure had evidently evolved into a unit of 30 rather than 10, and the decurions no longer commanded 10 men each, but rather the senior commanded 30 men, with a second-in-command, and third-in-command of the whole turma of 30, which is what Polybius is pointing out. Just as ‘dekad’/group of ten(originally) had evolved into also meaning generic ‘file’ by Xenophon’s time, so Decurion was no longer a commander of a file of ten in Polybius' day.

Agesilaos wrote:
Polybios is somewhat perplexed as to how to relate what he knows to his Greek audience, however, and Shuckburgh’s free translation, whilst fine for casual reading is insufficient for the technical details. Polybios calls the turma an ile and since he knows that all three elected officers may take charge of the whole unit and that they all have the same title he calls all three ilarchs initially, and their chosen assistants, optiones, ‘ouragoi’ – file closers. Now, I could raise the central digit and conclude that this is proof that the Roman cavalry DID fight in files of ten each led by a Decurion and closed by an optio, the evidence is here and irrefutable! However, I do not believe that to be the case. I suspect that they fought in files of five (whilst the Romans were originally inexpert on cavalry matters the evidence of this same chapter is that they had advanced due to contact with the Greeks; probably Pyrrhos) , much like the arrangement described in Xenophon’s Hipparchos. It is, however, significant that the only word Polybios has for an optio level cavalry officer is ‘file closer’ , ‘ouragos’, had it meant what you claim, one might expect ‘pempadarchos’ to rear its head, but perhaps the word had become lost in the mists of Time.
The reason that Polybius opts for ‘ouragos’ as the nearest Greek equivalent to ‘optio’ is because the optio, cavalry or infantry, stood at the rear and kept the men in their ranks, just as the ‘ouragos’ did. In fact the infantry optio even used a staff/hastile just as 18th century NCO’s used their halberds or spontoons for this purpose. Unlike the ‘ouragos’ however, the optio was also an officer.
Polybios then explains that all the officers are ‘dekadarchs’ which his audience will understand as ‘commanders of ten’; note NOT a FILE of ten, just ‘ten’, he then transliterates the rank, ‘ decurio’ δεκουρίων . In the final sentence we get that Greek habit of never calling a spade a spade twice in a row , so even though he has just declared that all three officers ore called decurions, Polybios reverts to calling them ilarchs and the turma a taxis !
Why the surprise? Having given the latin term, Polybius simply reverts to Greek, and rather than repeat himself,as you say, uses both 'ile' and 'taxis' for latin 'turma'. And if the ten were led by a 'decurion/dekadarch' at the front and an 'optio/ouragos' at the rear, then they were indeed a file of ten.
The later ‘decanus’ was also in charge of ten men – eight soldiers and two servants, otherwise he would not have been called a ‘decanus’.
That’s what ‘wikipaedia’ says, and lord knows where it came from, but it’s not what Vegetius says. Vegetius actually says of the ‘ancient establishment of the Legion’ that “The centuries were also subdivided into contubernia of ten men each who lay in the same tent and were under the orders of a ‘decanus’ or head of the contubernium. These contubernia were also called maniples from their constant custom of fighting together in the same company or division”

Of course, he is hopelessly wrong, as in much else he says. The contubernium only ever consisted of eight men, and if its leader was called 'decanus' then it is yet another example of a word originating in ten evolving to mean something else - just like 'dekad/dekadarch'. Furthermore, it was not the same as a maniple ( which consisted of two centuries). Vegetius has committed the same etymological error as you – indeed he thought a ‘century’ consisted of 100 men ( which it never did) and a ‘cohors milliara’ consisted of 1,000 men ( which it never did), just as ‘dekad’ from the time of Xenophon ( and possibly earlier) didn’t necessarily mean 10 men. I suppose for consistency’s sake you ought to share Vegetius’ view, and argue that a century was 100 strong !! :lol: :lol:
Xenophon
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Xenophon »

Postby agesilaos » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:46 am
And if it is desired to double the depth to 32men, the unit will be of the appropriate measure: again, if prolonging the front line to eight deep, the phalanx will not become wholly lacking in depth. Should one wish to move [the phalanx] from eight to four deep it will become lacking in depth.
My translation

“And should it become necessary to double the depth to that of 32 men, the arrangements will be in proportion. Likewise, should it be necessary to extend the front line and reduce the depth to 8, the phalanx will not be altogether without depth. But should you wish to extend the front and move from 8 to 4 deep, it becomes shallow. [ Accordingly when the file/lochos is first paraded, the strongest man must be chosen as its leader/lochagos."]
Anon Prof

“ And if it is necessary to double the depth to 32men the formation will [still] be proportionate.If the formation is set at eight in front, the phalanx will not be entirely depthless. But if you should wish to extend [the phalanx] at eight to four, it becomes shallow. [Hence it is necessary to choose as the unit’s deployer/lochagos, the most forceful man as commander. He is called both chief and leader/protostatos.”]De Voto

I omitted the final sentence because it is not needed for context at all, I can see that your translations would lead you to believe that but both translators have overlooked the purely resumptive use of 'oun', there is no train of logic here, which is when a translation of 'hence' or 'accordingly' would be appropriate, instead Arrian is resuming his exegesis after a personal aside, κείσθω – For my part – in the preceding verse, signals the start of the digression, 'oun' the resumption of working from the archetype. A moments thought will show that your explanation cannot be right.
You omitted the final sentence in order to take the passage out of context to suit your argument, as you do so often. Given your track record on translation, you’ll forgive me if I prefer the translations of more reputable translators.

Agesilaos wrote:
Xenophon wrote:
When the phalanx is four deep the lochagoi are only every fourth man, that they should be the strongest men applies when they lead their files and the phalanx is at its normal fighting depth of sixteen, which is why the parallel passage in Asklepiodotos says of them '...because this line of file-leaders binds the phalanx together...”
It is obviously not necessary to have the entire front rank consist of ‘lochagoi’ in order to ‘bind it together’, indeed later armies too had officers who bound the ranks together, but not the luxury of every fourth ( or second) man being an officer.
Please stop repeating, Goebbels like, that 16 is the “normal fighting depth”. There is absolutely no evidence for this, and Polybius does not say it is. He probably refers specifically to 16 in this passage because it is NOT the normal fighting depth in close order, as we know from the manuals, which specify 16 deep as ‘open’order, hence ‘normal’ assault formation is in close order 8 deep, but rather 16 is the the ‘double depth’ as used at Kynoskephalae – as you and Paralus now agree. ( And which may also have been used at Pydna, if Frontinus’ detail is correct )
Arrian is explaining why he considers the depth of sixteen the most useful, because it can simply form 32 deep, or eight deep which he considers useful on occasion, though he does not say when nor at what interval, what he does say is that four deep, which is also achievable without having men over, which is what the Greek means by symmetrical (but is not what we would mean), is depthless, ie too weak to be useful; were he envisioning the densest interval suitable for defence as always being four deep this statement would be impossible, unless you now wish to consign Arrian, who actually commanded armies, to the same bin as Polybios, who at least held a command and actually saw phalanxes in action.
This whole paragraph is incorrect! Firstly, Arrian says 16 is the maximum, not most useful. Nor does he say that four is too weak to be useful ( De Voto translation – fairly literal):
Some make the number of the file/lochos ten, others add two to the ten, some even [make it] sixteen. Let the deepest one be 16. The latter is proportionate to the formation’s length, the phalanx’s depth both for shooting arrows and for throwing javelins from the lightly armed of those standing [in formation].
If it is necessary to double the depth to 32 men the formation, the formation will [still] be proportionate. If the length is set at 8 in front, the phalanx will not be entirely depthless. But if you should wish to extend [the phalanx] at 8 to 4, it becomes shallow. Hence it is necessary to choose, as the unit’s deployer, the most forceful man as commander. He is called both chief/first stander and leader.”

Furthermore Arrian never saw a phalanx, living in the 2nd century AD, hundreds of years later. Nor is there any evidence I’m aware of that Polybius ever saw a phalanx in action – another of your assumptions.
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

Whden I stop laughing I will reply to the more serious(?) points til then there is a poll on the off-topic forum; go vote :D