Yet ANOTHER potential tomb...

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

neneh
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Yet ANOTHER potential tomb...

Post by neneh »

Dear all,

Because I am that awful sort of forum member who only turns up every seven or so years (somewhat like a comet, I suppose), I am completely out of touch with what happens here these days. If I'm breaking any sort of formal or informal rule here (by speculating wildly on no grounds whatsoever, for instance), I'm sorry. Also, I'm hoping this is not a repost of what will probably (depressingly) turn out to be competely insignificant news.

I just read on a Swedish news site that a tomb has been found in Amphipolis and that although someone from the Greek Ministry of Culture denies that there are any links (as of yet :wink: ) to Alexander the Great, the press are making that rather predictable connection anyway. Apparently the burial contains two sphinxs and archeologists are hoping to enter it by the end of August.

Any thoughts, good people here? And if this is already well known to you, does anyone have a link to an English news site where I might be able to read some more about it?

Swedish source: http://www.dn.se/nyheter/vetenskap/grav ... viloplats/
system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Amphipolis. The first photo

Post by system1988 »

I tried to post a photo ( see off topic ) without success.Try http://www.lifo.gr the third of ' topstories" OR ROGUECLASSICISM It is a big (royal?) macedonian tomb.In the photo the Prime Minister A.Samaras visiting today the first part of the tomb.Look at the height of the sphinges.
Pauline
Last edited by system1988 on Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Πάντες άνθρωποι του ειδέναι ορέγονται φύσει
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Re: Yet ANOTHER potential tomb...

Post by agesilaos »

The tomb is linked to Roxane, rather than Alexander,since we do know that she was eliminated whilst confined in or near Amphipolis; I will be waiting for the full excavation, Kassandros ruledfor thirty years after her death by which time she had ceased to be any sort of symbol, and had never had a following; neither Demetrios nor Pyrrhos nor Antigonos would have had an interest IMHO, Lysimachos does seeem to have been an Alexandrophile but the dates just don't gel. Further investigation may well close the dates down and hopefully provide some hard epigraphic evidence, until then it's all guess work. Ihave not seen any English press but System1988 has posted some Greek media on the off-topic forum (though if it is Roxane it is clearly not Off Topic!).
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

Pauline the problem is a space between your . and the gr. on off topic here between lifo and the .; spaces are a pain!
system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Post by system1988 »

agesilaos wrote:Pauline the problem is a space between your . and the gr. on off topic here between lifo and the .; spaces are a pain!
I am sorry for my clumsiness, the photo are impressive, try ROGUECLASSICISME.
Pauline
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

Don't worry, just edit to eliminat ethe space :lol: Look at my clumsiness -
eliminat ethe
there is something about e's and the space bar :shock:
system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Post by system1988 »

Yes! The third of ' Top stories' . Note the wall protecting the main entry.The tomb is 10 size bigger of the tomb of " Philip" in Verghina.
pAULINE
Last edited by system1988 on Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Post by Alexias »

BBC link http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-28758920
Pauline's link http://www.lifo.gr/now/culture/51351

Not perhaps Roxane's tomb, but more likely Alexander IV's (with room for Roxane). But would Cassander really have countenanced such a big and spectacular tomb?
system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Post by system1988 »

Alexias wrote:BBC link http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-28758920
Pauline's link http://www.lifo.gr/now/culture/51351

Not perhaps Roxane's tomb, but more likely Alexander IV's (with room for Roxane). But would Cassander really have countenanced such a big and spectacular tomb?
Thank you very much Alexias, and Agesilaos.
The huge dimension of the tomb,( height 40 plus ) with a lion 5 meters on top is impressive .Someone very important indeed was buried there We must " be patient" as the Prime Minister said!!!
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Given the pace of Greek archaeological reporting (to the wider world at least), I will be in a nursing home at very best by the time 'patience' is rewarded...
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Post by Alexias »

Is there any reason it can't be Antipater's tomb? Or maybe Craterus? The lion makes me think it is a man's tomb rather than a woman's, possibly a soldier and maybe one who had died in battle. It might not have been Cassander who buried him, but maybe Polyperchon, or perhaps Cassander wishing to prove he was a worthy son by building his father a magnificent tomb?
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

When Antipatros died I think it would have been noted if he had had a tomb grander than a King's, since it would play well to alienate Kassandros from the consevatives among the Macedonian nobility. It could be an Antigonid king such as Philip V, the kingdom was rich when he died and Perseus may have wished to allay the resentment felt about his disposal of his elder brother (whose name escapes me). Or more likely it could be that of Antigonos Doson who may haveonly been regent technically and so could not have been buried at Aegae, or even Demetrios Poliorketes, we are told Gonatas received his ashes but not where they were interred, given the size it may be the Mausoleum of the whole family Antigonos Monopthalmos, Demetrios Poliorketes, Antigonos Gonatas (who will have had it constructed), Demetrios Aetolicus, Demetrios Doson and Philip V; Perseus dying in exile would not be there but their various consorts might and hopefully some nice full epigraphic eulogies, and a complete copy of Hieronymos! Could be very interesting.
Hando
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by Hando »

If anyone descended from Alexander was found to be buried in there, such as his son through Roxanne, it would be great to extract DNA and maybe we could get closer to finding Alexander himself one of these days. Maybe see if it matches the DNA of the person buried at St. Marks in Venice.
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Oh dear..
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Post by system1988 »

Alexias wrote:Is there any reason it can't be Antipater's tomb? Or maybe Craterus? The lion makes me think it is a man's tomb rather than a woman's, possibly a soldier and maybe one who had died in battle. It might not have been Cassander who buried him, but maybe Polyperchon, or perhaps Cassander wishing to prove he was a worthy son by building his father a magnificent tomb?
Also to Agesilaos.All ready the archaeologists considered that the tomb belongs to an admiral of Alexander , Nearchus, Androsthenes or Laomedon because they lived in Amphipolis. But this is a speculation.
Something odd :The sfinges may have been moved in the past , because the wings (immagine them open ) they may -if open- touch the ceiling.
To Paralus : Dont worry , if a Prime Minister visits an excavation like this one , the hidden message is "Be quick".At the end of month we shall know at least the content of the tomb.
Best
Pauline
Last edited by system1988 on Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.