Flatterers of Alexander

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

susan
Somatophylax

Flatterers of Alexander

Post by susan »

This is in response to Linda De Santos' question about the flatterers of Alexander: (below)

Of your list of flatterers :Medius, Hagno, Bagoas, Agesias, and Demetrius

Medius is Medius son of Oxynthemis, of Larisa -
a friend of Alexander's who accompanied him on campaign but never held a military role. According to Arrian, Indica, he was one of the commanders of the triremes on the passage down the Indus; Arrian says he was the companion who at Alexander's death was most closely in his confidence.

It was at his house in Babylon that Alexander went to a party, and fell ill - which led to his death. Plutarch, section 76, shows the already-feverish Alexander playing dice all day with Medius on 2 June 323, which considering his fleet was to sail on 21-22 June to conquer Arabia, seems unlikely. Arrian, more serious, shows him chatting to Medius but giving orders to his fleet.

There were tales, repeated in Arrian, that Medius was the lover of Iollas, Antipater's son and reputed poisoner of Alexander, and that Medius was involved, by inviting Alexander to the fateful feast.

The Greek Alexander Romance goes further, saying that Medius had become involved as he had been insulted by Alexander.

Susan
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Re: Flatterers of Alexander

Post by amyntoros »

Thanks so much, Susan, for this information. I hadn't made the connection. Do you think it really makes sense for Medius to have been involved in Alexander's death? As you said, he was a friend before the Persian campaign (I didn't know that before) and had travelled for ten years with Alexander. He had finally had become top dog, so to speak, with Hephaistion dead and Craterus on his way back to Macedonia. Now that Medius had reached the position of most intimate confidant, why would he want Alexander dead? Even an insult from the King seems an unlikely provocation. Just wondering....
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Susan, thanks for all the information about friends of Alexander. I wonder if you are related to Michael Holmes, the correspondent who works at CNN.I thought of you while watching him report from Baghdad on CNN International last evening.
J%hn

Post by J%hn »

Personally, I was hoping she was related to Sherlock, so she could help solve the murder mystery.John
J%hn

Post by J%hn »

Seriously, of course, the truth is already known...The butler did it - Iolas, Alexander's cup-bearer.John
susan
Somatophylax

Post by susan »

Hi Jan
No, I'm not related - I live deep in the countryside in England - but thanks for asking, and thinking of me !Susan
susan
Somatophylax

Post by susan »

Hi Linda I don't believe there was a conspiracy that actually murdered Alexander, although there were plenty of his entourage who may well have been relieved to see him go, and open the way for themselves to take power. But, after his death, there were plenty of conspiracy theories, not surprisingly, since the most powerful man in the world had suddenly died of a short illness on the eve of a new and probably unpopular campaign, before any legitimate heirs were born. I don't know what happened to Medius afterwards, though. He wasn't top dog militarily or politically, just a good friend or party-giver, maybe. Regards Susan
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

Medius went on to serve Perdikkas before becoming Antigonos Monopthalmos' admiral and is last heard of commanding the left wing at Demetrius' victory at Salamis, at least that's the last mention in Diodoros
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.