Alexander was here?

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

PassionIsAPlagiarism

Alexander was here?

Post by PassionIsAPlagiarism »

Hi all,

I think read somewhere (I think in an issue of Archaeology Magazine maybe 10 years ago?) that stones were found in Central Asia with "Alexander was here" or the equivalent carved in Greek, indicating that he had conquered a particular piece of land. Now, I could totally be misremembering this, and I have scoured the internet looking for confirmation and have come up empty. Does anyone know anything about him doing anything at all like this?

Thanks!
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Re: Alexander was here?

Post by Alexias »

Welcome.

It doesn't seem likely that Alexander would put down such a marker in Bactria or Sogdiana. They were part of the Persian empire and in campaigning there he was just taking control of territory he probably regarded as rightfully his own.

Could you be thinking of the twelve altars he set up in India before turning back? Arrian says they were bigger than towers (siege-towers?) so they were big enough to have left an archaeological footprint and were the kingly equivalent of "I woz 'ere". I have a vague recollection that someone claimed to have found a possible site for them.