Alexander's impact on Jordan

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

ian991

Alexander's impact on Jordan

Post by ian991 »

We all know that Alexander the Great conquered lot's of places in Jordan! Actually, because of him, Jordan acquired Hellenistic culture. But what are physical evidences of Alexander in this region?

For example, ancient ruins of Jerash, Jordan are very important place, but it is mostly based on Roman influence. What were influnces of Alexander?

I recommend everyone to visit Jerash. It is so beatuful place rich with history.
sean_m
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Alexander's impact on Jordan

Post by sean_m »

Hi Ian,

there are a series of ostraca from Idumaea and Arad with dates from Artaxerxes to Philip Arridaeus, showing that administration continued without major changes from the last Achaemenids to the Argeads. Those sites are on the Israeli side of the border today, but that reflects modern geopolitics.

If you want to learn more and find the original texts, check out Ancient Warfare X.4.
My blog (Warning: may contain up to 95% non-Alexandrian content, rated shamelessly philobarbarian by 1 out of 1 Plutarchs)
sean_m
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Alexander's impact on Jordan

Post by sean_m »

Also, later on in Hellenistic times you get the Nabatean settlement at Humayma ... that is the site in Jordan which I know best. I do not know much from the 3rd or 2nd century BCE sorry!
My blog (Warning: may contain up to 95% non-Alexandrian content, rated shamelessly philobarbarian by 1 out of 1 Plutarchs)