Persian Army between Issus and Gaugamela

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

help4desk

Persian Army between Issus and Gaugamela

Post by help4desk »

Hi,
thanks for accepting me in this forum.
I have read a lot of books and articles about Alexander, and I have a question that is bugging me since sometime.

Darius III was defeated in Issus and won't fight back Alexander for the following two years until Gaugamela/Issus.
But I read somewhere a Persian Army was dispatched from Cappadocia (still in Persian control) to cut Alexander's supply lines in Anatolia, but never actually reached the Aegean sea before Gaugamela.
Anybody knows it was true or has some reference to it? I think it would have been a great move by Darius III, a move that Memnon would have recommended in the two years were Alexander was overextending his supply lines well into Egypt.

Thanks,

Andrea
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Re: Persian Army between Issus and Gaugamela

Post by Alexias »

This comes from Smith's Dictionary or Greek and Roman biography and mythology:
He (Memnon) defended Halicarnassus against Alex­ander with great skill and bravery, until it was no longer possible to hold out. Having set fire to the place, he and Orontobates made their escape, and crossed over to Cos. Memnon now formed the de­sign of carrying the war into Greece, and attacking Macedonia. Dareius had furnished him with large supplies of money. He collected a large force of mercenaries, and a fleet of 300 ships. At the head of this force he attacked and took Chios, and thence proceeded to Lesbos. Here he captured several towns without difficulty, but was delayed for a considerable time in the reduction of Mytilene. At this place he was taken ill and died, b. c. 333. His death was an irreparable loss to the Persian cause ; for several Greek states, and in particular the Spartans, hearing of his success and intentions, were prepared to join him, had he carried the war into Greece. According to Polyaenus (v. 44. § 1) he was some time or other engaged in hostilities with Leucon, king of Bosporus, who died b. c. 353. (Arrian, i. 12, 20—23, ii. 1 ; Diod. xvi. 34, 52, xvii. 7, 18, 23, 24, 29, 31 ; Clinton, F. H. vol. ii. p. 284.)
According to livius.org, Memnon died in about August 333 BC, before Issus in November. The entry is here http://www.livius.org/articles/person/m ... f-rhodes/?

Alexander had appointed Antigonus satrap of Phyrgia early in 333 BC before he went to Gordium (the Wikipedia entry for him is wrong). I haven't been able to find any reference to an army from Cappadocia online, although Antigonus did have some fighting to do after Alexander had moved south. I'll check my books tomorrow.
help4desk

Post by help4desk »

Thanks, I know Memnon was already dead before Issus took place. Luckily for Alexander.

I'd be happy should anyone confirm anything about this subject.
I still remember I read somewhere that within the two-year interval between Issus and Gaugamela "a Persian Army was dispatched into Anatolia but never reached the Aegean sea" but honestly I don't know if it was a serious source. Honestly, it made a lot of sense, but Darius III never made great strategic decisions. IMHO.

Regards, Andrea
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Post by Alexias »

I don't think it was anything to do with Darius. This is from Waldemar Heckel's The Marshall of Alexander's Empire
As the satrap of Phyrgia, which controlled the main lines of communication in Asia Minor, Antigonius became responsible for suppression of any remnants of Persian resistance in the area. After the battle of Issus (November 333), a substantial force, loyal to the Persian king, escaped from the battlefield and prepared for a counter-strike by enlisting troops in Kappadokia and Paphlagonia (Curt. 4.1.35). These forces were, however, crushed in three separate battles in 332. Antigonus himself was victorious in Lykaonia, Kalas in Paphlagonia..., and Balakros expelled the Persians from Miletus (Curt. 4.5.13).

Curtius 4.1.33
The generals of Darius who had survived the battle of Issus, and all the force that had followed them in their flight, with the addition of vigorous young soldiers of the Cappadocians and Paphlagonians, were trying to recover Lydia..... At the same time a fleet of the Macedonians, which had been summoned from Greece, defeated Aristomenes, who had been sent by Darius to recover the coast of the Hellespont, and captured or sank his ships.
help4desk

Post by help4desk »

Thanks!