Getting a little tired of the homophobia....

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

John.

Re: Getting a little tired of the homophobia....

Post by John. »

I wonder if Aristotle had the hots for young Alexander. Aristotle's teacher Plato said males were best "just before the beard came in, while they still had peach fuzz." [That's actually in one of Plato's Dialogues.] That would be the same age Alexander was when Aristotle tutored him, about 13-16 years of age. I also read an ancient description of Aristotle that said he wore copious amounts of perfume, multi-color clothes, numerous rings and bracelets, and spoke with a lisp. Uh oh... Run, Alexander, run!!!Actually, I think Alexander could keep any would-be attacker away just with a growl, or a threatening look - unlike the assassin of Philip, who was unable to defend himself from Philip's perverted companions, and so took his revenge.John
Linda
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Getting a little tired of the homophobia....

Post by Linda »

JohnThere is no evidence that Aristotle "had the hots" for Alexander or anyone of his own sex. I apologise for saying you were expressing homophobic attitudes - where could I have got that idea? But I am afraid that saying someone is a heterophobe... frankly, it is not helpful to discussion. There are loads of people in history I am quite happy to assign to heterosexuality.
And male rape has very little to do with sexuality and a lot to do with power.Where exactly did Alexander try to stop "homo" sex?
I can see the reasoning when people postulate that perhaps the relationship with Hephaestion was just a strong friendship, not sexual, I can see that Curtius may have elaborated on Bagaos a bit, but I cannot see that Alexander was disgusted with homosexuality in any way - I think what you have done, you have transfered your own disgust to Alexander. I feel quite sad that you read Plato, and that is all that you took from it.And respect to what Sikander said, as usual.