Map of Alexander's campaign in Balkans

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

delos13
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Map of Alexander's campaign in Balkans

Post by delos13 »

There are many maps, both online and in the books, of Alexander's campaign after he crosses into Asia Minor but I can't find any map of his campaign in the Balkans which covers a very big area. Does anyone know of any such maps? Online would be preferable or if anyone knows a specific book that includes such a map? Thanks you.
Jeanne Reames

Re: Map of Alexander's campaign in Balkans

Post by Jeanne Reames »

FWIW, I'd love to have one of these too. One of the more under-reported periods of ATG's campaign.
----
Dr. Jeanne Reames
Director, Ancient Mediterranean Studies
Graduate Studies Chair
University of Nebraska, Omaha
287 ASH; 6001 Dodge Street
Omaha NE 68182
http://jeannereames.net/cv.html
hiphys

Post by hiphys »

I found some maps of this campaign in the books of N.G.L. Hammond. The last of these books I bought is: 'The Genius of Alexander the Great', London 1997. The maps are at page 33 (the Balkan area) and 38 (The manoeuvres at Pelium). Sorry, I'm not able to post a photo...
sean_m
Hetairos (companion)

Post by sean_m »

I am glad you found them! Hammond loved rambling about that area, sometimes with a Sten gun and sometimes with a collection of archaeology books and notepads. And maps are expensive to design.

Another reason to wish we had the first two books of Curtius! He probably had a detailed narrative with the Roman names for places as best as he could figure them out.
My blog (Warning: may contain up to 95% non-Alexandrian content, rated shamelessly philobarbarian by 1 out of 1 Plutarchs)
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Post by Alexias »

map2.jpg
map2.jpg (185.3 KiB) Viewed 4361 times
Planning another trip, Delos?
Jeanne Reames

Post by Jeanne Reames »

Alexias, thank you. I've downloaded that to add to my Power-point the next time I teach the ATG class.
----
Dr. Jeanne Reames
Graduate Studies Chair
Omaha NE 68182
delos13

Post by delos13 »

Thanks so much for the map, Alexias! Yes, I am going to Greece again, in one month exactly for 3 weeks. I am very excited! It is my forth trip to Greece. This year I go to Macedonia only. I arrive at Thessaloniki and then drive east (I hope to visit Samothrace, but not sure yet) with obvious exploration of everything in between, and then drive west, I want to revisit Vergina (to see the newly opened palace), Mieza for sure, Edessa for the first time, maybe Kastoria, and then head south to Dion (I didn't visit it yet) and then return to Thessaloniki for a few days in the city. :)
delos13

Post by delos13 »

hiphys wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:14 pm I found some maps of this campaign in the books of N.G.L. Hammond. The last of these books I bought is: 'The Genius of Alexander the Great', London 1997. The maps are at page 33 (the Balkan area) and 38 (The manoeuvres at Pelium). Sorry, I'm not able to post a photo...
Thank you, hiphys! I found the book in the library catalogue and ordered it. I hope it arrives before my trip.
Jeanne Reames

Post by Jeanne Reames »

Hey, Delos -- Let us know what you think of the palace. It was still closed when I was there. Looked like they were bringing in big ashlar blocks, which made me a bit nervous. Hope they open the theatre again, too. I haven't been inside that since 1997!
----
Dr. Jeanne Reames
Graduate Studies Chair
Omaha NE 68182