virus warning

Please post here if you have any constructive comments, support requests or queries about pothos.org itself.

Moderator: pothos moderators

gb
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

virus warning

Post by gb »

I received a message from Ruth last night (the exact time was Wed, 28 Jan 2004 02:04:05 - GMT +01:00) which according to the Yahoo! scanner contained the "W32.Novarg.A@mm" virus. It was called "hello" and the attachment was plain "message". (If this was a serious message, I'm afraid I can't read it, because Yahoo! won't let me open it.)Since this is where she must have gotten my adress from and it might have happened to others on this board, I thought I'd mention it.
beausefaless
Hetairos (companion)

Re: virus warning

Post by beausefaless »

Very good warning GB,This hello, hi or whatever is a new virus and is also a Trojan Horse, people should purchase a good anti virus software (Norton) or remember never open attachments unless you know your sender is running a very good anti virus program even then I would be careful, most people don't make backups of their important info from their computers, these virus's can be devastating. Thanks for the warning!
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

Yesterday morning I updated my Norton Virus scan and it gave a clean bill of health. I had been warned that there was a virus at large and did this immediately. So, sorry if anyone got an infected email. I will now scan ALL my files to see where it could be coming from, but as far as my updated Virus scan is concerned it has shown my files to be clear. I have, however, had it detect two incoming mails with viruses (which were not opened.)
susa

Post by susa »

It's probably something to do with Pothos, because since yesterday i am getting weird messages with attachments from Poland, and now something with "edu" [USA stuff] at the end. And these are sent to the add i use here. It's not a coincidence, is it?
smittysmitty
Hetairos (companion)

Post by smittysmitty »

I got one too!hmmmm
S

Spoofing

Post by S »

Greetings,I am not a computer person (so don't laugh if I have this wrong- well, okay, you can laugh but don't be sarcastic (grin), but I have been told:Unfortunately, if your address is on the net, these viruses "obtain" your email address and send emails not only to you but then use *your* address to send to anyone in your address book, etc- so if anything comes from philoalexandros, do not open unless it says "from Sikander" in the subject header. (Sigh)
Some people have no lives, I suppose, so rather than get one, they spend their days creating problems for everyone else...Regards,
Sikander
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Re: Spoofing

Post by ruthaki »

Yes, because my Norton Scan is running and updated and I scanned ALL my files and there isn't a virus
in them. I've had about four emails, mostly of the commercial variety, that were identified as having a virus so they were deleted immediately. Ruth
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Re: Spoofing

Post by amyntoros »

Hello Ruth:I sincerely doubt that your computer was ever infected. Sikander is correct about "spoofing" the sender's address, though the likely source of these infected emails is someone elses computer that had your email address in their files. See this from AOL's page on a worm that is currently causing major problems:"Both versions of the Mydoom worm "spoof" or fake the sender's address when they send out copies of themselves to infect other computers. The worms use e-mail addresses they find on an infected computer to spoof the sender's e-mail address."Linda Ann
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

Well that's reassuring. I just didn't like being singled out when I knew that my Norton was up to date and that the scan had shown NO infections in my computer. Thanks.
gb
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by gb »

Hey Ruth, sorry to see you felt that way, it certainly wasn't intended like that.I figured out afterwards what must have happened and that it didn't have anything to do with your computer, but by then I couldn't get onto the site or the forum - until just now.