Purpose of Forum

Please post here if you have any constructive comments, support requests or queries about pothos.org itself.

Moderator: pothos moderators

jan
Strategos (general)

Purpose of Forum

Post by jan »

Since this forum is undergoing changes, I wonder at some of the comments that I am reading this morning. Is this forum supposed to be a public forum, open to anyone interested in the topic, or is it a closed forum, open only to a select few?
beausefaless
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Purpose of Forum

Post by beausefaless »

Greetings Jan,You are correct on all of the above! When I first entered this forum I was greeted by no
-one except for yourself, you were the only person who cared enough to answer my questions. Then I decided to become controversial, maybe I was being a bit selfish and immature, but I got everyone's attention. No matter what you say or do there always will be some people that will like you and others will not, that's life. But we all have something in common, the studies of Alexander this includes the good with the bad. Take care.Andrew
S

Post by S »

Greetings,I appreciate your concern. This forum is quite a few years old; it has undergone and survived many "changes". Over the course of time, people leave, new people enter. Some come here frequently, some sporadically. Some come and attempt to "take-over" the forum, others come and just want to have a source where they can ask questions. Some come hoping to have their homework done for them, some come because they are doing homework (and we always try to encourage they do some reading on their own, first). Some come with serious questions, some come with personal agendas- I have found that in most cases, things tend to "even out" and move on from any hiccups, surviving the posters who come and attempt to control, disrupt or destroy the Forum.I don't see the forum has changed all that much from its predictable, on-going permutations. There are times when people immediately answer questions posted and times that questions seem to go unanswered because they either appear to be more of a pronouncement than a question; they appear to be facetious; they are so simple that others feel the poster should do a bit more reading or, more often, they slip off the bottom of the page, and most of us don't tend to dig around past the cut-off point. I think Pothos will continue long after some of us have "dropped out". As Auda said, each person takes from a thing what they need,and when that need is met, they usually leave. We've recently had a couple posts deleted; I tend to trust that the one doing the deleting has made a rational decision based on past experience. We've also recently had some differences of opinion taking place; that is always welcomed unless it degenerates into personal attacks and name-calling- which is clearly stated in the forum agreements. In the end, Pothos was here before many discovered Alexander, it will probably be here long after the interest has waned for some... and that's how it should be. It might not be the *same* Pothos some of us started with, but it will still be Pothos.Regards,
Sikander
nick
Somatophylax

Post by nick »

Hi Jan, hi Andrew ---Let me tell you my story. In July 1999 I went to Pakistan for a holiday. Well, I am a university lecturer and so I can afford a four week holiday. I am fully aware that most people can't.As a long time admirer of Alexander I decided not only to visit the Hydaspes shores and Taxila, but also to climb the Rock of Aornos --- but you can not believe the hardships. I returned from Aornos with severe dehydration and scabies too --- really too much to handle for a white-collar worker in our 21st century. I have brought home video footage of the peoples that live on Aornos nowadays, and believe me or not --- I was guarded by Russian Kalashnikovs day and night. In retrospect I believe I barely escaped alive.While in Pakistan in 1999 I became a member of the pothos-community. I started posting --- shy and reluctantly --- during my Pakistan trip. By the way, I was very & very happy to discover three video tapes of the Indian "Sikandar" movie in a small Karachi video shop. These are some of my dearest memories of walking in the footsteps of Alexander.After my 1999 trip Thomas (who runs pothos.org) trusted me so much that I became one of the moderators. I will admit in honesty: I do not know how many other moderators there are. But I know for sure that the pothos.org discussion has grown more harsh and less respectful (with major exceptions!) since I joined the club back in 1999.My ultimate goal is: to keep pothos.org a save environment for everyone interested in the major conflict between Alexander III and Darius III. I have deleted some messages, yes, but honestly just a very few in the recent past, and only when contributors began to insult eachother or when comments began to show show signs of racial hatred.Jan: this is a Forum for everyone. I am happy it is. Please accept the fact that some of our moderators feel the need to delete some messages in order to retain the quality of discussion. Really, you don't want to read some of the postings that I deleted over the years.Regards, and best wishes to all of our visitors --- Nick
susan
Somatophylax

Post by susan »

Hi JanThe forum isn't intentionally changing - it's still open to all and is intended to discuss Alexander from any viewpoint - not just praising him as that would soon lead to a very dull forum.The only rules are those at the top of the forum page. There isn't a rule about politeness, but I think that most people want to be polite anyway, and not make personal attacks. Alexander was praised for his courteous treatment of his opponents, and I think that it's to be expected that visitors to Alexander's forum should try to behave in the same way.I've been on the forum for nearly five years, and I've seen many ups and downs; what keeps it going is the fact that it is open to all, that we attract members that are of different nationalities, religions and national beliefs, and that it is on the whole a place where enquiries are met with politeness, and debates take place without personal attacks. Long may it continue.Susan
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Thank you all for your responses. I sincerely appreciate your comments. I had always wondered if it were for primarily academia and students, or if it was intended for just the curious and interested.
I have enjoyed reading most of the posts as it is both educational and entertaining. And if I ever step out of line please let me know.Jan
jona
Hetairos (companion)

Post by jona »

To best of my knowledge, dear Jan, you've never made a mistake; I've learned to appreciate you as one of the friendliest members.Replying to your initial remark, there is another, more philosophical point that may be relevant, and perhaps not only to pothos but to newsgroups in general. How real is this virtual world?Let me explain. One of the great freedoms of the internet is anonimity. We can accept a nickname and play something like a role - exaggerate one aspect of our character, presenting ourselves a bit different. Here, we can say things we would not state under normal, face-to-face circumstances. For example, I have expressed some strong opinions (e.g. about Achilles), just because I like the debate, and because I believe that scholarship proceeds by testing bold statements. The Jona who is speaking here is some sort of public person, a persona, not the real Jona.I suppose that Andrew refers to the same separation when he writes that he "decided to become controversial".Now, let's suppose I get angry about a message and write something in reply. Who has been speaking: my persona or me?As some of you may have noticed, the moderator has removed several insulting messages directed against me. Frankly, this was appreciated; I admit that my Friday evening was spoiled after being called a coward and a pacifist (nothing wrong with pacifism, but I don't like it when someone puts up a strawman and shoots him). Yet, although I had to read some insults, and am happy that they're no longer here, I do not think that they were really personal. They were related to me, but not directly. One persona is insulting my persona; but it is certainly possible that the man behind the persona and I are quite capable of having a drink together and enjoying a conversation in less bold terms.Perhaps there's a parallel with literary fiction. The author of a book can not be held responsible for something said by one of its characters. Like a novel, the virtual world is not reality and should be treated as such. It is not nice when one's persona is being insulted, but it is nothing more (or less) than a virtual insult.Jona
jona
Hetairos (companion)

Post by jona »

"I returned from Aornos with severe dehydration and scabies too --- really too much to handle for a white-collar worker in our 21st century."No guts, no glory. I'm jealous!Jona
diogenes1

Post by diogenes1 »

I do aprecciate your answer to Jan. I am a brazilian who is studying Classical Greek/Latin.In the matter of ATG,I can say that I have studied him for about three years,and during this time I have read the top ten books on him. Everytime I submitted a topic to the forum,you have consider it.So,I am really sure that this site is open to all people who really wants to discuss in a high level about ATG.
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

I am very grateful for this forum and find it useful and informative. And even if I don't happen to agree with the comments, it is good to hear other points of view.
Ariadne

Post by Ariadne »

Hi everyone ! I just want to say this is a good forum, one of the best I know, and the best on ATG. Here we'll all interested about ancient Greece, and I think more or less fascinated by this "extraordinary man" - as says General Allenby ;), (just for S.) -(For myself I've read books about Greece since my childhood, and "met" ATG when I was 13...)Of course there is a revival of interest with the movie coming, and many true and wrong things will be said in this occasion, like still when Hollywood put an historical subject on the scene, but
A. has always created passion for or against him across centuries : this forum has a great future.

Please, don't change the forum ! Or just make a french translation ! ;) Ariadne
iskande_32

Post by iskande_32 »

RegardsIt appears that a lot of this stuff is aimed at my attitude and some of my controvertial views,,, Alas maybe I am but,, I will not back off in defence of Alexander and some of the 100% negative posts about him.Some people may call me a fanatic,,, Maybe so but I dont think my be;liefs any stranger than millions of pilgrims spreading the word of an unhistorically substantiated carpenter who was supposed to have died to save us all,,, Even though absolutely nothing changed because of it.Maybe im selective in seeing Alexander as a hero,,, I judge him for his resolve and what he achieved not certain aspects of his personality.Similalary people critisizes Presley for the Prescription Drugs and hamburgers.Thats nothing to do with the guys achievements at all... In the movie a line that says.It only matters what we do.To me it only matters what Alexander did with such a small army in a shorter time against huge odds and adfvirsories.Kenny
S

Post by S »

Greetings Kenny,> I will not back off in defence of Alexander I will not back off in defence of Alexander I will not back off in defence of Alexander I don't think anyone has an issue with your defense of Alexander; most people recognize that you admire him. Your posts lead toward further analysis of the events and issues surrounding his actions, both pro and con. > I dont think my beliefs any stranger than millions of pilgrims spreading the word of an unhistorically substantiated carpenter I dont think my beliefs any stranger than millions of pilgrims spreading the word of an unhistorically substantiated carpenter I dont think my beliefs any stranger than millions of pilgrims spreading the word of an unhistorically substantiated carpenter And of course, arguments over religion have been on-going for centuries, and will continue forever. That is why personal belief is called personal belief (smiling)>Maybe im selective in seeing Alexander as a hero,,, I judge him for his resolve and what he achieved not certain aspects of his personality.Maybe im selective in seeing Alexander as a hero,,, I judge him for his resolve and what he achieved not certain aspects of his personality.Maybe im selective in seeing Alexander as a hero,,, I judge him for his resolve and what he achieved not certain aspects of his personality.I think you have defined your view more clearly here. You are stating that, no matter *how* it was done, the fact is that Alexander achieved something that has seldom been equalled, and *that* is why you choose to see him as heroic. Have I read that correctly?>It only matters what we do.It only matters what we do.It only matters what we do.I think I understand what you are saying, but I hope you can understand that for many people, the line would read "It not only matters what we do, but *how* we do it"? That is where the debate steps in.>To me it only matters what Alexander did with such small army in a shorter time against huge odds and adfvirsories.To me it only matters what Alexander did with such small army in a shorter time against huge odds and adfvirsories.To me it only matters what Alexander did with such small army in a shorter time against huge odds and adfvirsories.I think that is where the debate hinges- each persons definition of heroic. Since Alexander was a person of great courage and strength, admired for his exploits, he would indeed fit the ideal "heroic" image. It is when one looks at him from a distance, from the perspective of the people on the receiving end or from the view of heroism as something different from exploits alone that the vision changes.All in all, however, presenting both points of view is necessary, legitimate and exactly what this forum is about- a space where each argument for or against can be presented, where each event or portion of the achievement can be discussed, so that each person can decide for themselves. Regards,
Sikander
iskander_32

Post by iskander_32 »

Iskander HailI totally agree and understand your reasoning and your viewpoints and out of such respect I would not insult or say your comments irelevent.My point is if someone comes to a fotum like this, where all they do is put down or ridicule all Alexanders achivements then I say what the hell are you doing here.I once called it a romantic idea that Darius mother commited suicide when Alexander died,,, One reply posted was that she commited suicide before the Macedonians did for her,, If that was the case why didnt she kill herself before Alexander took her captive,,, Before knowing Alexandere didnt she have the same fears of Macedonians and kill herself then.Give me a break.regardsKenny
iskander_32

Post by iskander_32 »

Iskander HailI totally agree and understand your reasoning and your viewpoints and out of such respect I would not insult or say your comments irelevent.My point is if someone comes to a fotum like this, where all they do is put down or ridicule all Alexanders achivements then I say what the hell are you doing here.I once called it a romantic idea that Darius mother commited suicide when Alexander died,,, One reply posted was that she commited suicide before the Macedonians did for her,, If that was the case why didnt she kill herself before Alexander took her captive,,, Before knowing Alexandere didnt she have the same fears of Macedonians and kill herself then.Give me a break.regardsKenny