New article on Bucephalus

Please post here if you have any constructive comments, support requests or queries about pothos.org itself.

Moderator: pothos moderators

marcus
Somatophylax

New article on Bucephalus

Post by marcus »

Andrew and Sikander,I've just had a read of the new article on Bucephalus - very good. I enjoyed it. I was pleased you did keep in the bit about Comanche - an interesting story and not one I'd heard before.I hope everyone else has taken the time to read it!All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
S

Re: New article on Bucephalus

Post by S »

Greetings Marcus,Thank you- The credit goes to Andrew, who wrote the majority of the text; we just edited it for him for clarity and added minor, additional notes. Nick and Andrew formatted for the site, and I think they did a nice job of it. At least Bucephalus has his own story, now (smile). Regards,
Sikander
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

This is a beautiful article. Congratulations. I am very impressed, especially with the author's style. I liked the inclusion of Comanche also. Very touching.
Linda
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Linda »

Nice article - I liked the dramatic bit in the middle!I have a question; in a recent tv programme, it was mentioned that modern horses have a different gait to ancient one (this was a programme about the 12th century AD): they trot with different legs....it made sense at the time, but I can't remember exactly how. In any case, the ancient horses could travel for longer with less pressure on their legs than modern horse. They rolled more from side to side..Can anyone enlighten me, if this woudl have been the case with Alexander's horses?Linda
S

Post by S »

Greetings Linda,Not sure what is referenced here unless they are referring to pacing, which some horses do naturally. But the trot is the dominant gait in the majority of horse breeds, including those found in Greece, the Iberian breeds, Arabs, etc. A pace is when both legs, fore and aft, on one side move forward and back in sync rather than the usual trotting action of moving in opposition. The pace creates a slight rolling action due to the side to side rocking as the entire side shifts. I've seen dogs do this, too, when they are tired, or older.. Regards,
Sikander
beausefaless
Hetairos (companion)

Post by beausefaless »

Greetings to all,
I thank you for your kind reviews and if Oliver Stone receives the same I'm sure his film on Alexander will be a success.
Best regards,
Andrew
Linda
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Linda »

SikanderI think they must have been talking about pacing - the horse using the front and back legs on the same side. I can't imagine them doing this without falling over. The particular breed of horse (used in England in 1381) did this naturally The horses were very small and sturdy - can't remember the breed. It was just interesting to hear about.Linda
S

Post by S »

Greetings Linda,This is exactly what pacing is. And yes, there are horses today, both domestic and feral, that do this naturally. In fact, there are famous racing pacers and I believe the United States is known to have had some of the best. The Standardbred is one of the more popular breeds known to execute this gait.Regards,
Sikander
xxx

Post by xxx »

And I have been very fortunate having seen the greatest pacer to look through a bridle, Niatross, as well as being on the rail at the finish line when Affirmed beat Alydar to become the last triple crown winner of the Century.There are so many great horse stories...