Please log in with your current pothos.org forum username!

Please post here if you have any constructive comments, support requests or queries about pothos.org itself.

Moderator: pothos moderators

Does this forum look better?

Poll ended at Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:27 am

Yes
85%
No
15%

Total votes: 13

Thomas
Site Admin

Please log in with your current pothos.org forum username!

Post by Thomas »

If you cannot remember your password it can be emailed to you if your email address has not changed.

If your email address has changed just re-register using the link above. I am aiming to delete all unused IDs after a year anyway.
Last edited by Thomas on Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

I'd have thought there may be more interest. How disappointing.

Paralus
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
Thomas
Site Admin

Give it a week

Post by Thomas »

I think that in a week many more people will have at least looked at it. But I fear that it will only be when/if the forum is moved over that we will see what happens.

At the moment I am looking in to tansferring the 11,000 posts in to this forum. No idea if it is easy or not but I think that would be a big hook in I think.

Thomas
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

G'day Thomas.

Love that avatar. Not being a naturalist (as opposed to naturist) I'm guessing that's a bull elephant (and African - ears)??

Yes mate, just move the recalcitrant bastards over. Much more inter-active software this. Has to be done.

Now I've not looked on the old site, but I only bank on the net. That is, all my accounts are net based. I only pay bills etc via the net. If I could be absolutey assured of where the money was to go I'd transfer - again in Australian Drachma. But I'd need to be certain. Otherwise it's Amex.

Let's know.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Participation on the Pothos forum tends to vary according to the time of year, etc. Right now it's fairly quiet with only a few members participating regularly - this is the probable reason why you've received so few comments to date.

As for my opinion. . . . I guess you could say I'm ambivalent. On the one hand I understand the need for an upgrade, but on the other hand I'm very comfortable with the old forum. It's like an old pair of slippers that one prefers to wear even when new ones are available.

And I have to say, I'm somewhat intimidated by the new format with all its boxes and codes, etc., although I have participated in similar forums before. I prefer to type my posts offline and just copy and paste to Pothos. And yes, I know I can do much the same thing here so I'm sure I'd get used to the new layout with time. If we go with it, that is. . . :)

Best regards,

Amyntoros
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

One more thing. The messages here are disappearing off the right hand side of the page and I have to scroll horizontally to read them properly. It's a bit frustrating. Is this something that can be fixed? Or is it just a problem with my computer?
Thomas
Site Admin

Forum width

Post by Thomas »

amyntoros wrote:One more thing. The messages here are disappearing off the right hand side of the page and I have to scroll horizontally to read them properly. It's a bit frustrating. Is this something that can be fixed? Or is it just a problem with my computer?
That is a very useful comment actually. The forum is set up to be 800 pixels wide (as is the other one!) so I am guessing you are using a small screen or a browser I have not tested on (I test on the latest versions of explorer and firefox).

I could make the forum be "80%" of the screen or somemthing bu I chose the 800 pixels because if it is good enough for the BBC it is good enough for me!

Give me some information about how you view the site and I will see what I can do to help. No promises though. :wink:
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Re: Forum width

Post by amyntoros »

webmaster wrote:Give me some information about how you view the site and I will see what I can do to help. No promises though. :wink:
I'm using Internet Explorer 6.0 - actually, 6.0.2900.2180 according to my system information. I'm usually online via AOL which I know can react differently to some websites, but when I access the forum directly via IE I still have the same problem. Even the home page here is much wider than my screen. I don't have this problem with the old site - although a tiny bit of the page there does disappear off the right hand side of the screen, the forum itself is fully viewable.

It's not the end of the world if it can't be changed. If I scroll to the right and exclude the avators and the member info, I can read the complete posts. However, I still have to scroll horizantally for all other pages, including the one that previews my posts. It's all a little bit irritating, especially as I was so used to those "comfortable old slippers"! :lol:

And I've yet to figure out how to respond to a specific post rather than the last post on the thread. I'm afraid I'm not very computer literate. None of this will bother most members, I suppose, although I do know of one published professor who is less accomplished on the computer than myself. He was prevented from posting on the old forum - a quip directed at our beloved Paralus' comment on aging professors! - because he was on a new computer and the sign-in page wouldn't recognize his name and password. I can imagine how he, and others like him, will feel about this new format! Not that I'm saying you shouldn't go ahead, btw. Am just commenting freely.

ATB

Amyntoros
Thomas
Site Admin

Post by Thomas »

amyntoros wrote:
webmaster wrote:Give me some information about how you view the site and I will see what I can do to help. No promises though. :wink:
I'm using Internet Explorer 6.0 - actually, 6.0.2900.2180 according to my system information. I'm usually online via AOL which I know can react differently to some websites, but when I access the forum directly via IE I still have the same problem.
1) To reply to one post in an earlier spot click the "quote" button at the top right of that post then delete the text you do not want to post.

2) I am very surprised to hear your setup. I am using almost exactly the same to make this post and it lookd fine to me! I know that is no help in your case. What is your screen resolution (ie how many pixels wide?? I am guessing it is something totally normal. Later: I have spent some time fiddling with this and cannot get the forum to go less than 843 pixels wide. Are you running 800x600 on your PC?
Thomas
Aymez loyaulté
rjones2818
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by rjones2818 »

Looks good! :twisted:
Thomas
Site Admin

Post by Thomas »

webmaster wrote:
amyntoros wrote:
webmaster wrote:Later: I have spent some time fiddling with this and cannot get the forum to go less than 843 pixels wide. Are you running 800x600 on your PC?
I noticed something. How is it now?
Thomas
Site Admin

Post by Thomas »

amyntoros wrote:Participation on the Pothos forum tends to vary according to the time of year, etc. Right now it's fairly quiet with only a few members participating regularly - this is the probable reason why you've received so few comments to date.
--snip--
It's like an old pair of slippers that one prefers to wear even when new ones are available.
--snip--
I'm sure I'd get used to the new layout with time. If we go with it, that is. . . :)
They say that "the new broom cleans, but the old broom knows the corners." I think users will get used to this forum as yo usuggest.

I also agree with your other point - not everyone is on the forum every day are they!
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

webmaster wrote:Later: I have spent some time fiddling with this and cannot get the forum to go less than 843 pixels wide. Are you running 800x600 on your PC?
Yep - 800 by 600, which is obviously the reason I'm having to use the scroll bar. I tried changing my settings but I'm unhappy with anything else - my old eyes need the larger print! Anyway, thanks for the time you've spent on this already. I guess I'll just have to get used to it.

ATB

Amyntoros
Thomas
Site Admin

Post by Thomas »

paralus wrote:G'day Thomas.

Love that avatar. Not being a naturalist (as opposed to naturist) I'm guessing that's a bull elephant (and African - ears)??

Now I've not looked on the old site, but I only bank on the net. That is, all my accounts are net based. I only pay bills etc via the net. If I could be absolutey assured of where the money was to go I'd transfer - again in Australian Drachma. But I'd need to be certain. Otherwise it's Amex.

Let's know.
Re Avatar - I am never sure what to use. I never hide my identity on the net (too honest) and toyed with using my picture. The elephant will do, sums up my dogged approach to life - I always get there. Not fast, but I always get there.

Regardsing Amex - I have sent you a private message but the same applies to anyone. The donate button at the top corner allows you to donate in Pounds Sterling using any type of card.
Last edited by Thomas on Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

webmaster wrote:
webmaster wrote:
amyntoros wrote:
I noticed something. How is it now?
Wow - that was fast! You must have been online at the same time that I was posting my other message. Yes, I can read everything perfectly now! Thanks! :D

ATB

Amyntoros