New articles

Please post here if you have any constructive comments, support requests or queries about pothos.org itself.

Moderator: pothos moderators

marcus
Somatophylax

New articles

Post by marcus »

Under "Battles and Campaigns" I have added articles on the hypaspists and the pezhetairoi. The one on the hypaspists is very brief and needs fleshing out, so if anyone fancies helping out with that (cos I really don't have the time) then please do so and email me!Both articles are slightly adapted versions of the same that I wrote for the Wiki Classical Dictionary.All the bestMarcus
Paralus
Chiliarch

Re: New articles

Post by Paralus »

G'day Marcus.The Hypaspists are an interesting lot. They appear to have been a rather flexible lot - as you suggest. The one thing we can be certain of is their position in the battle line (in "pitched battle"): they are part of the phalanx. And, they are not described (when in such position) as being any different to the rest of the phalanx - aside from being in attendance upon the king, whether he was on foot (very close attendance) or horse (adjoining).For my part, I firmly believe that those who were later described as the "Argyraspids" were Philip's "foot guard". The self same old bastards with whom he executed that marvellous "sucker punch" retreat at Chaeronea that so undid the Athenians.At their last historical mention (as a corporate entity), Hieronymos describes them in their traditional role: the phalangites attendant upon Eumene's (the "king's") wing (providing the link to the rest of the phalanx).A more deadly, meaner and intractable bunch of old bastards I would not like to meet on level ground.Paralus.
beausefaless
Hetairos (companion)

Re: New articles

Post by beausefaless »

Deleted