Welcome to the updated and all new pothos.org forum

Please post here if you have any constructive comments, support requests or queries about pothos.org itself.

Moderator: pothos moderators

Thomas
Site Admin

Welcome to the updated and all new pothos.org forum

Post by Thomas »

I am pleased and relieved to welcome you to the new forum for Alexander the Great.

Sorry it happened so fast. I am sure you can cope and that you come to appreciate the benefits of this new system. :wink:

Note that we now have the full archive of the old forum readily available. Enjoy.

Thomas
Last edited by Thomas on Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Felando

Post by Andrew Felando »

It's good while it last that is the old home page link with all the wonderful articles but just call me old school; the new format truly sucks it's mostly a *chat* room epically people with whole lot of time on their hands but old message threads transferred from the original site is good. I'll give it some time but forgive me for I'm not too optimistic. I think I'll do my impression of the lone wolf and just observe.

Andrew
Thomas
Site Admin

Is that not what a forum is?

Post by Thomas »

Andrew Felando wrote:mostly a *chat* room epically people with whole lot of time on their hands but old message threads transferred from the original site is good.
I disagree that it is "mostly a chat room" - the forum is what you, the users make of it. This forum is exatly that at times, but mostly a place for informed discussion.

I am glad you like the history being transferred. I too think it is a good idea. It was certainly a lot of work!

Finally, I am a bit sad at your "sucks" comment. I know that many will not like it at first, and some will abandon the forum for ever. BUT others have been calling for it and are very happy. You certainly cannot please all of the people all of the time, that's for sure. :?
Last edited by Thomas on Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas
Aymez loyaulté
Efstathios
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Efstathios »

The php forum is very common in the net nowdays because it is more customizable and functional than the old type forums.It is not a chat room, it is a forum.And i didnt quite understand the "for people with whole lot of time on their hands".

The old forum was nice but not functioning properly.You could not write large texts,or a thread couldnt have many posts in it.After some posts you had to open a new thread to continue the discussion there.Plus the issues with the login e.t.c.The php format is faster.You dont have to login and relogin all the time and you can make a bigger post without dividing it into smaller posts, cutting and pasting.
karen
Hetairos (companion)

Congratulations Thomas

Post by karen »

And THANK YOU for all your hard work doing this changeover.
wmp
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Congratulations, Thomas

Post by wmp »

Yes, many thank, Thomas!

I use a couple of php forums, & find them v. user-friendly. Although I must say, as a blue/green colour blind person, I find the background shading on this forum a little disturbing! But I will get used to it, & try to post more (I was pretty silent for some years on the old forum!).

wmp
marcus
Somatophylax

Your avatar

Post by marcus »

Hi WMP,

It's been a long time - welcome!

I like your avatar - if I'm not mistaken, it's the statue of Alexander holding Nike that stands in the middle of Alexandria?

Cheers
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
wmp

Post by wmp »

Ah, yes. I've been reading, but silent...

The avatar is from my photo album - taken in the new pedestrianised bit of Nea Pella, just by the archaeological site of Pella, Northern Greece. (I was desparate for a coffee, but found this instead!) It was erected a couple of years ago. I guess it may be a copy of the Alexandria statue (which I've not seen)?

wmp
Thomas
Site Admin

Re: Congratulations, Thomas

Post by Thomas »

wmp wrote:a blue/green colour blind person, I find the background shading on this forum a little disturbing! But I will get used to it, & try to post more (I was pretty silent for some years on the old forum!).
I chose the original colours for pothos with an eye on colour blindness.

What would help in this forum? It is all yellow and blue - which is fine for red/green, but what do I need to do for blue green? No promises...
Thomas
Aymez loyaulté
marcus
Somatophylax

Alexandria statue

Post by marcus »

It must be a copy of the Alexandria statue, as you say - or the other way round, although I think the Alex. one has been there for a few years.

Cool pic!

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
wmp

blue/green problems

Post by wmp »

Thomas, I think you'll be OK with the forum colour as it is - blue/green is particularly odd one & not as pronounced, or difficult, as red/green. The forum doesn't mix blue/green, so it doesn't merge into a greyness!

I have particular problems with blue - it is either rather too much or green/grey - the paler the blue the more it jumps around or glares. I've got round this in my design work by quoting pantone numbers and/or banning pale blue (!), but how to help you, I'm not sure. :(

wmp
Thomas
Site Admin

Re: blue/green problems

Post by Thomas »

wmp wrote: I've got round this in my design work by quoting pantone numbers and/or banning pale blue (!), but how to help you, I'm not sure. :(
Can you send me the HTML triplet (e.g. #9999FF) for a light blue that might work for you? I am assuming (hopefully) that the darker light blue :? in the forum does work?
Thomas
Aymez loyaulté
wmp

blue/green problems

Post by wmp »

Oh, gosh, Thomas - I didn't mean to open a can of worms or make you do more work!

But you're right, the darker light blue is OK for me (except I'd not be able to tell you what colour it was without being told - it's a kindly grey for me :) ). How about the following: #99CCCC or #CCFFFF or #9999CC. Although I fear while they may be OK for me, they may make the forum look a bit odd!

As you see, I'm not letting my perception of colours put me off - I'm still here & may even post something to do with Alexander eventually....

Many thanks!

wmp
Thomas
Site Admin

Colour changing is easy

Post by Thomas »

When I get the time I will have a play on my development server and will get back to you.
Thomas
Aymez loyaulté
Nicator
Hetairos (companion)

What a shocker!

Post by Nicator »

I haven't been able to get to the forum for a couple of weeks and the whole world changed beneath my feet. I like some of the added functionality of this new site. The total no. of posts option was somewhat revealing, but not surprising. It's also nice to know where many of the regular users are located, though again, most of which we already knew.
Later Nicator

Thus, rain sodden and soaked, under darkness cloaked,
Alexander began, his grand plan, invoked...

The Epic of Alexander