Alexander Movies

Post here about Alexander in film, TV, radio, other websites, YouTube etc.

Moderator: pothos moderators

Nicator
Hetairos (companion)

Alexander Movies

Post by Nicator »

There have been several movies on Alexander the Great. Most notably was the Richard Burton version done in 1956...there were some memorable scenes in this 3 hour plus yawner, but hardly worth the lost time if you are looking for entertainment or facts...check out the IDB, (internet movie database) and do a search for Alexander for a complete listing of movies and TV versions of this story...If I recall correctly, there are 3 or 4 Alexander stories done on film since the early 1900's. A short-lived 3 or 4 show made for TV thing was done in the 1960's starring none other than William Shattner as Alex...(who else could pull off this role but Captain Kirk himself). But I accidentally saw a little known B movie made in 1979 called "The Man with Humphry Bogart's Face" which featured a plot which centered around two large sapphires known as "The Eyes of Alexander"...supposedly, these were the last things that Alexander saw before he died, as they were inlaid into a marble figurehead to honor him...so the fictionalized movie plot goes anyway...there were some other quirky little things revolving around Alex's story which were put into the film as well...for instance, this rich rycoon's yacht was named Euridice...the film ends with the camera focused on the sapphires as the credits roll. I actually enjoyed the movie for it's comical value, but not much else...later Nicator
Later Nicator

Thus, rain sodden and soaked, under darkness cloaked,
Alexander began, his grand plan, invoked...

The Epic of Alexander
Nicator
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Alexander Movies

Post by Nicator »

...almost forgot about the 90's B-movie..."The Sword of Alexander" starring that guy from the TV show Renegade...In this movie, this sword is discovered to have strange powers over it's owners and anybody who goes against the bearer of this sword is doomed to failure, and certain death...as if a sword was the reason for Alexander's success...I don't know a lot about the weaponry of the ancients, but this sword clearly looked more medieval...who knows, maybe the Ancient Macedonian's carried 3.5 feet long swords with magical powers...later Nicator
Later Nicator

Thus, rain sodden and soaked, under darkness cloaked,
Alexander began, his grand plan, invoked...

The Epic of Alexander