Blood stained arm? Blood stained everything!

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

gb
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Blood stained arm? Blood stained everything!

Post by gb »

Here's a picture from El Pais. There's blood everywhere, including all over Alexander's face. I'm still in the process of deciphering the text... I did find out the picture is supposed to be Gaugamela (shot in Marokko).http://www.allstarz.org/~colinfarrell/a ... 4_1.jpgThe article goes on for five pages. You can get the others by going to this link:
http://www.allstarz.org/~colinfarrell/articles.htm#
Or simply editing the number at the end of the first one....
jan
Strategos (general)

Re: Blood stained arm? Blood stained everything!

Post by jan »

Hi,Thanks for the links. They are special, aren't they? Having watched some of A&E's The Last King, a t.v. movie on King Charles II last evening, I believe that everyone will think that Alexander looks like Colin. Just because I now think that King Charles must look like the actor who portrayed him in that movie. That is the sorry impact of movies and t.v. And unfortunately, sometimes being as bad as teenagers even yet, I probably won't bother to look up the real King Charles II portrait but will remain satisfied that the casting director selected a man who resembles him. Isn't that just terrible? I am ashamed to admit it too.I like the looks of Colin Farrell but I still believe that Alan Ladd is probably closer to actual Alexander in appearance.
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Hi again,I just went to the Colin fansite via google, and was able to get the picture up. Yes, wow! I noticed the bloody knife, the bloody arm, the bloody face! What a promo!
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

Dramatic alright! But I guess if you're slashing your way through a battlefield there would be blood galore! (I remember when I was writing a battle scene for my novel and my critique group's comments were "Blood! More blood!") And, realistically,there would have been.
karla

Post by karla »

Great pictures here....knowing that Oliver Stone does have a personal admiration for ATG (who doesn't?), i believe he really has been trying to make this movie as worthy of ATG as possible....But I agree with Janet..not only does colin not look like ATG, they made him look even more unlike him with that blonde hair!!! ATG blonde? c'mon....
beausefaless
Hetairos (companion)

Post by beausefaless »

With all due respect, I'm glad to hear one or two of the lovely ladies in this message thread know exactly what ATG looked like, I wish I had their time machine, now with that aside:Don't forget the bloody legs. I was told the battle scenes in this film make the movie Gladiator look like a boy scout reunion, I can hardly wait! I'm sure if the British had the opportunity to do the ATG film today it would be different for the stage acting from the fifties are not the normality of the screenplays today.
neneh
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by neneh »

Thanks for posting the links. :-) I'm slightly worried about the fact that a picture of "Alexander" covered in blood actually makes me even more excited about this film. Ah... The beauty of on-screen blood baths...All the best,Neneh
Nicator
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Nicator »

LOL...Get some therapy, quick!!!later Nicator
Later Nicator

Thus, rain sodden and soaked, under darkness cloaked,
Alexander began, his grand plan, invoked...

The Epic of Alexander
Tre

Post by Tre »

The old mosaics in Pella show him to be blonde,red/blonde ancient accounts say he was blonde, the Alexander Sarcophagus when unearthed had red paint on his hair. Only the Roman depictions of him show him dark haired, which shouldn't surprise anyone.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

I couldn't agree more! Bring on the blood-bucket, I say...(I'm worrying myself, now) :-)Marcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Tre - the subject of Alexander's hair color has come up on another forum, along with discussions about various ancient wall paintings and the Alexander sarcophagus, and the consensus is that you are correct. I know that Plutarch says Alexander was fair-skinned with a ruddy complexion around the chest and face, but I don't know of any ancient written source that says A was blonde. Can you give me the references? :-)Linda Ann
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
Tre

Post by Tre »

I believe it was Aelian, but I'll have to check the reference. There are a couple who refer to his eye color as blue, as well as of course, eyes of a different color which we've also discussed here.
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Tre- if you have an opportunity to check the reference then I'd love to know. I'm collecting information and references on Alexander's personal appearance, clothing, uniforms, etc. It's just one of my areas of interest. :-)Linda Ann
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor