Mt. Alexander?!

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

Carl

Mt. Alexander?!

Post by Carl »

This is the first that I have heard of this project. Anyone have any other info?http://reuters.com/news_article.jhtml;j ... ID=1356199
John

Re: Mt. Alexander?!

Post by John »

marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

What a ghastly idea... although I have to say that I have a sneaky feeling of "cool!" when I think about it. But on reflection - NO!Two questions arise, anyway:(a) what if they accidentally hit a seam and his chin falls off mid-construction? (b) considering the amount of debate and argument we have about his looks, what if people don't agree with the way they portray him? For one thing, if they tilt his head slightly to one side it will look very odd... and do they make him look like Di Caprio, Cruise, Jude Law, Matthew MacConachy... They should just stop right now and put their dollars into something more worthwhile, like a huge donation to the Greek Archaeological Trust (or whatever the main organisation is). Just remember the Millennium Dome...Aaarrgghh!Marcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
wmp
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by wmp »

Is this plan still going? - I had hoped it had
faded long ago (along with the irritating music in
the introduction to the
"alexanderthegreatmountain" site)...Hopefully, as much will come of this as of the
plan to "make" Mount Athos into a recumbent
Alexander (dabbling his toes in the sea)... But I
agree with Marcus - any money gathered would
be well spent on the existing sites (for example
the palas site at Pella, or if they want to spend
money on something local to Asprovalta,
preserving the wooden bridge at Amphipolis)...
Not to mention the heartfelt pleas I get from the
Greek Underwater Archaeological Service...Well, if they do start on the mountain carving, it's
supposed to be ready in 2004! I'm going that
way in May 2003, so I'll report back to the forum
on how far they've got...wmp
yiannis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by yiannis »

It's my understanding that this "project" has been forgotten. Common sense indicates that it could never receive the necessary support by the Greek society.
Even in the beginning of this story, when some media were reporting about it, they were approaching the matter as a joke :-)regards,
YiannisPS
On the other hand "common sense is as rare as absolute genius" - Oscar Wilde
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Well, it should have been forgotten. However, there's almost an entire page in The Times about it today... including the factually incorrect statement that, after visiting Siwa, Alexander demanded that he be worshipped as a living god!All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Carl

Post by Carl »

Definitely a colossal waste of funds...and time. There is a small picture of the sculpture's studio on the atgm website that has, what I assume to be, a model of the image that he wants to carve into the mountain. Blah.http://www.alexanderthegreatmountain.co ... -exposure/
yiannis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by yiannis »

Guys, if you notice, you'll see that this site hasn't been updated since Feb.2002 and I haven't heard anything in the local news for a looong time.
Let's hope that this project is dead as well.
Oh Zeus!!!regards,
Yiannis
luc
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by luc »

That's just too cool for words, if it works out that is!!!!! I mean I understand that Archaelogists have a point..but at the same time..give me a break...Alexander is just too good to not be on that mountain!