To Susan, About Iron Gates of Darband!!

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

Cyrus Shahmiri

To Susan, About Iron Gates of Darband!!

Post by Cyrus Shahmiri »

I received your email and if you allow me, I want to reply your questions here.1.Do you know anything about the Iron Gates of Derbend ?
lol, Darband - Dar(Door) + Band(Bound) - is a persian word which means "Gate" or "Canyon". Darband Pars (Persian Gate) is a place near city of Kogiluyeh in Iran. Ariobarzanes with his sister Youtab and some other persians decided to defend Persia against alexander there.
http://mojtaba.proboards7.com/index.cgi ... .Alexander Romance in India
Sorry, I'm an Iranian and I know only about Alexander in Iran.I will post some pics from Great site of ancient Hecatompylos in Iran where, in 330 BC, Alexander regrouped his troops and urged them to continue eastward.
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: To Susan, About Iron Gates of Darband!!

Post by marcus »

Cyrus,Pictures of Hecatompylos? Yes please!You are a very useful resource. Not many of us get the opportunity to go to Iran.Have you got any of Susa and Persepolis (apart from what one can find in books)?All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
nick
Somatophylax

Re: To Susan, About Iron Gates of Darband!!

Post by nick »

Hi all -
Darband or Derbent is in Azerbaidjan, close to the border with Russia. It has been pointed out by some as a possible candidate for Alexander's (legendary) "iron wall" that protected the civilised world against the forces of Gog and Magog. You might want to check sura The Cave. Derbent has nothing to do with the Persian Gates, though Azerbaidjan used to be part of Media (Media Atropatene) and the name Derbent surely has an Iranian root. (Of course, Alexander is not attested having ever traveled as far north as Derbent.)
Regards -
Nick