After Hydaspes

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

Dr. Pal

After Hydaspes

Post by Dr. Pal »

Dear Dean,Due to other obligations I am at present unable to devote adequate time to studies. I am in full agreement with Nick when he says, GÇ£My view is that indeed something terrible happened at the Hydaspes that our sources are not clear about.GÇ¥ This battle, more than any other, shattered Greek/Macedonian morale and this is where they came closest to defeat. I think that I have already made it clear that it was only due to JonesGÇÖ mistaken identification of Palibothra with Patna in eastern India that after the mutiny Alexander appeared to be running away from the Prasii. The fact is that, as he had vowed after the mutiny, he did confront the Prasii and defeat them. But that was in Gedrosia and as it turned out from later events he could not decimate the Prasii. Nick is probably not aware that CraterusGÇÖ job may have been to secure the rear of the enemy(Prasii/ Massagetae). This was a multi-pronged attack which shows superb planning not characteristic of a defeated general. That the Massagetae (Masaka of the Indians), were in this area is clear (see the maps of the Encyclopedia of Islam). These people were well known as fierce fighters and the desert terrain made their positions invincible. The problem of logistics was brilliantly solved by Alexander by the naval operation. Note that the army was ordered to keep near the shore-line and the navy moved almost in tandem. The horses and foodgrains on the ships were all intended to support the army. It may be that in Hydaspes also the aura surrounding Alexander ulimately made a difference. He was not only the vanguard of Hellenism but even to many Indians he was a patron of Buddhism which was very similar. This was realised only by Tarn.With best regards,Dr. Pal
susan
Somatophylax

Re: After Hydaspes

Post by susan »

Dear Dr PalThis is all very interesting, and has some connection with something that I am working on. I've seen your main page - do you have any other pages that you have your work on, as I may want to refer to your work at a later date ?Best regardsSusan
Dr. Pal

Re: After Hydaspes

Post by Dr. Pal »

Dear Susan,
Thanks, it was interesting to know about your work. I am struggling(for four years) to get a book entitled "Non-Jonesian Indology and Alexander" published by the Indian subsidiary of a British Publisher, Minerva Press Of London. I do not have any other page but due to other obligations I have not been able to complete the some papers I have notified in my website.With best regards,Dr. Pal