Climate

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

jona
Hetairos (companion)

Climate

Post by jona »

Dear companions,As you will all have noticed, there are several odd stories about the weather in the history of Alexander. In May 330, he encountered snow and ice in Fars, which is almost impossible. In the Spring of 327: snow and ice again, in Sogdia. Our sources mention that this caused great surprise. May 326: monsoon rains in the Punjab, three months too soon. According to HoltGÇÖs wellGÇôknown elephant book, Alexander claimed that this heavy rainfall, which helped the victory at the Hydaspes, as something he had caused. Finally, in November 325, a belated monsoon in Sind, resulting in the Gedrosian disaster and big troubles for Nearchus.It is quite a list, and I was quite puzzled by it. In my book, I offer a tentative explanation: I make a connection with the strange, low solar activity that is well-known from what is called the INTCAL98 series, which is (essentially) a corroboration curve for 14C. In plain English: Alexander lived in a Little Ice Age, which means that the average global temperature was lower with about 1 to 2 centigrade; the chance on extreme weather conditions and extreme cold increased. Little Ice Ages are very rare (only ten during the entire Holocene). At the same time, there was less atmospheric humidity and circulation.There is possible dendrochronological evidence to confirm this. It is certain that by 350, world climate was getting normal again after a minimum in ca. 400; 330 marks the beginning of a second dip. Call it an aftershock, if you like. Yet, this is debatable: after all, this refers to the global climate, not the Iranian climate.This also applies to the unseasonable rains mentioned by Livy for southern Italy in these years. They suggest that GÇ£there was something in the airGÇ¥ but it is unclear whether this was a local or a global phenomenon, and, if the latter, whether it is relevant to Iran.Other evidence can be found in the Astronomical Diaries (http://www.pothos.org/alexander.asp?par ... %20Diaries - thanks Susan). They mention the level of the Euphrates, which shows an exact correlation with the activity of the sun. A Belgian geologist named Kris Verhoeven, University of Gent, has shown this and also suggests a correlation with the building of late-Achaemenid qanats.Finally, the price of commodities is interesting evidence. There was famine in Greece (this is certain) and in Babylon, life became more expensive in the days of Alexander. Partly, this may be du
jona
Hetairos (companion)

Climate (2)

Post by jona »

(Cont'd) Finally, the price of commodities is interesting evidence. There was famine in Greece (this is certain) and in Babylon, life became more expensive in the days of Alexander. Partly, this may be due to war circumstances. The same applies to the Egyptian evidence. Two Greek sources (Ps.-Aristotle, Oeconomicus 1352a17ff; 1352b13ff; Ps.-Demosthenes, Oration 56.7-8.) complain about expensive Egyptian grain. This may prove scarcity in Egypt, but is also possible that AlexanderGÇÖs representative Cleomenes was simply pursuing an anti-Greek policy.Summing up: it is certain that Alexander lived at the end of a little ice age, and it is likely that the decade 330-320 marks a last aftershock. This may or may not explain the odd weather conditions he encountered in Iran and the Indus valley.If anyone knows other evidence, please keep me informed. The Royal Dutch Meteorological Institute (KNMI) has recently started a project to collect historical evidence for the second half of the Holocene.Jona
Halil

Re: Climate (2)

Post by Halil »

Hello JonaThis is interesting. I vaguely remember someone (ancient source) making a remark about people complaining about the severity of the cold and needing to wear three cloaks instead of the one they usually wore.Regards
Halil
susan
Somatophylax

Re: Climate (2)

Post by susan »

Dear JonaThis is very interesting, and I hope that you can find more; you're working so hard on these extra sources - I congratulate youSusan