Alexander's supposed

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

Molossos

Alexander's supposed

Post by Molossos »

Greetings to all the people who join this forum and discuss about my favorite hero since childhood, the one and only Alexandros (h)o Megas. I wonder why there has been a systematic and methodical propaganda, sick to me, by the international homosexual community to dscribe Alexander pretty much as a gay hero. For God's sake! I don't think there has been a single ancient source that mentions clearly events in his short and glorious life of his intercourses with other men. And after all, we should not judge that epoch's customs by modern day criteria even if there were homosexual affairs back then (there are recorded sources about Socrates's life about what we call today "gay"). After the spread of Christianity and other main and old religions homosexuality has been considered a sin and widely not acceptable (I agree with that). People should be more careful and always looking for historical truth through passages that have come down to us, at least to the extent that these passages allow us according to the author's subjectivity. Even if Alexander's entertainment contained excessive drinking and sexual orgies, this kind of good time should not surprise anybody because this sort of entertainment has always been practised by royal houses and other powerful aristocrats (I agree with that too). People should keep in mind that apart from Greeks most other advanced civilizations of antiquity had homosexuality in their societies (eg Persians, Egyptians etc). This is especially addressed to people who think Hellas is the motherland of homosexuality, as if a behavior and psychological situation is the privilege of a nation. That's all folks! Keep up the good work administrators.
jan
Strategos (general)

Re: Alexander's supposed

Post by jan »

There is an old saying: "Always consider the source."
Nax

Post by Nax »

Hey guy,
this sounds like the Big A could swing both ways, which is fine with me. I just don't care.
But I think Jeanne's article on this site is legitimate and I also think that the people MOST upset about the idea of the Man and his buddy(s) ARE the ones putting the MODERN view on him. I agree the LABEL doesn't belong but the ACTIONS probably sure did!
I just don't see what the hell it matters
Molossos

Post by Molossos »

I even took the dust off my ancient authors' sources that convince quite the opposite about his sexuality. For example when he captured the royal family of Darius after the battle of Issus and all its retinue, Alexander stated: "Persian women are a temptation to the eyes" (Plutarch, Parallel Lives, Alexander, 21, 10-11). Only his self control made him avoid them and pass a test of sexual austerity according to Plutarch in the following lines. Exactly in the next paragraph there is a typical example of Alexander's morality, which is translated as: "When Philoxenos, the chief of the naval powers wrote him that there was with him somebody Theodoros from Taras (Tarentum I think in other languages) who had two very handsome boys and would like to know if Alexander was interested in purchasing them, Alexander himself was enraged a lot and asked repeatedly his friends what miserable things thought Philoxenos Alexander had done, so that he could offend him with such shameless offers..." (Plutarch, Parallel Lives, Alexander, 22, 1-2). The text goes on with a similar offer by Agnon who suggested a famous male prostitute from Corinthos, Crobylos. Is this the behavior of a homosexual? I wonder...
Link

Post by Link »

Today's Greeks have the biggest reputation for homsexuality, the saying 'greek style' is a fact, and when you WRONGLY paint Al as a greek, the homosexual tag goes with it. That is a Greek problem, you put in opn yourselves.
Link

Post by Link »

ps. If you are confused on which Macedonia and Macedonians are the nongreek variety then all will appreciate these dictionary definitions.Ma-+ce-+don Pronunciation Key (ms-dn, -dn) also Ma-+ce-+do-+nia (ms-dn-, -dny)
An ancient kingdom of northern Greece originally occupying territory north of Thessaly and northwest of the Aegean Sea. It was the center of a powerful empire under Philip II and his son Alexander the Great and contributed significantly to the spread of Hellenistic civilization. It became the first Roman province in 146 B.C.
Source: The American Heritage-« Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright -¬ 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved. Mac-+e-+do-+ni-+a Pronunciation Key (ms-dn-, -dny)
1. A region of southeast Europe on the Balkan Peninsula roughly coextensive with ancient Macedon and including parts of modern-day Greece, Bulgaria, and the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia. After the fall of the Alexandrian empire, it was held by Romans, Byzantines, Bulgars, Serbs, and Turks. The present division was largely determined after the Second Balkan War (1913).
2. Officially The Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia. A country of the central Balkan Peninsula. It was a constituent republic of the former Yugoslavia until it declared its independence in 1991. Skopje is the capital and the largest city. Population: 2,142,000.
3. See Macedon.
Source: The American Heritage-« Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright -¬ 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved. macedonia
n : the ancient kingdom of Phillip II and Alexander the Great in the southeastern Balkans that is now divided among Greece and Bulgaria and the former Yugoslavia [syn: Macedon, Macedonia]
Source: WordNet -« 1.6, -¬ 1997 Princeton University macedonia in New Testament times, was a Roman province lying north of Greece. It was governed by a propraetor with the title of proconsul. Paul was summoned by the vision of the "man of Macedonia" to preach the gospel there (Acts 16:9). Frequent allusion is made to this event (18:5; 19:21; Rom. 15:26; 2 Cor. 1:16; 11:9; Phil. 4:15). The history of Paul's first journey through Macedonia is given in detail in Acts 16:10-17:15. At the close of this journey he returned from Corinth to Syria. He again passed through this country (20:1-6), although the details of the route are not given.
Jay

Post by Jay »

I thought I had read somewhere that Alexander considered most Persian women to be painful to his eyes. Can anyone confirm this?
Link

Post by Link »

Sense 2
Macedon, Macedonia, Makedonija -- (the ancient kingdom of Philip II and Alexander the Great in the southeastern Balkans that is now divided among modern Macedonia and Greece and Bulgaria) PART OF: Balkan Peninsula, Balkans -- (a large peninsula in southeastern Europe containing the Balkan Mountain Range)
Coordinate Terms (sisters) of noun macedonia
2 senses of macedonia
Sense 1
Macedonia -- (landlocked republic on the Balkan Peninsula; achieved independence from Yugoslavia in 1991)
Balkan country, Balkan nation, Balkans, Balkan state -- (a country on the Balkan Peninsula)
Albania, Republic of Albania -- (a republic in southeastern Europe on the Adriatic coast of the Balkan Peninsula)
Bulgaria, Republic of Bulgaria -- (a republic in the eastern part of the Balkan Peninsula in southeastern Europe)
Greece, Hellenic Republic, Ellas -- (a republic in southeastern Europe on the southern part of the Balkan peninsula; known for grapes and olives and olive oil)
Romania, Roumania, Rumania -- (a Balkan republic in southeastern Europe)
Macedonia -- (landlocked republic on the Balkan Peninsula; achieved independence from Yugoslavia in 1991)
Holonyms of noun macedonia
2 senses of macedonia
Sense 1
Macedonia -- (landlocked republic on the Balkan Peninsula; achieved independence from Yugoslavia in 1991) PART OF: Balkan Peninsula, Balkans -- (a large peninsula in southeastern Europe containing the Balkan Mountain Range) PART OF: Europe -- (the 2nd smallest continent (actually a vast peninsula of Eurasia); the British use `Europe' to refer to all of the continent except the British Isles) PART OF: Eurasia -- (the land mass formed by the continents of Europe and Asia) PART OF: eastern hemisphere, orient -- (the hemisphere that includes Eurasia and Africa and Australia) PART OF: northern hemisphere -- (the hemisphere north of the equator)
Sense 2
Macedon, Macedonia, Makedonija -- (the ancient kingdom of Philip II and Alexander the Great in the southeastern Balkans that is now divided among modern Macedonia and Greece and Bulgaria) PART OF: Balkan Peninsula, Balkans -- (a large peninsula in southeastern Europe containing the Balkan Mountain Range) PART OF: Europe -- (the 2nd smallest continent (actually a vast peninsula of Eurasia); the British use `Europe' to refer to all of the continent except the British Isles) PART OF: Eurasia -- (the land mass formed by the continents of Europe and Asia) PART OF: eastern hemisphere, orient -- (the hemi
Molossos

Post by Molossos »

Pela, I figured out that you are another of that pitiful mix of Slavs and Albanians you call "Macedonians". I will not enter the debate about ancient Macedonia's character and its people, because it is needless. And something else; if you claim we seized Macedonia illegally by force from the Turks I am telling you one thing: molon labe (come and get it) and show us who is masculine or not pathetic digital warrior. Not to mention that we have bought your entire country and Greek companies control your infrastructure and telecommunications.
Thalestris

Re: Does it matter?

Post by Thalestris »

Greetings,Plainly asked, and repeatedly done so, does it really matter what Alexander was sexually? Does it have any impact on his history? What is the anxiety with sexuality? Who cares?!? No relevance, no absolute relevance, and this issue seriously needs to be extinguished. Alexander, if realizing he was the topic of sexual controversy would ask, "Why is this a controversy? Does it matter whom my heart loves?"Amazon Queen
Molossos

Post by Molossos »

As I wrote before, Plutarch, Alexander's biographer, mentions that Alexander was enraged at the offer of two nice young boys for his "company". This is a typical example of Alexander's ethics and it does matter what he thought of homosexuality and he clearly stated that. After all imagine a disciplined and battle hardened army being commanded by a gay for 13 years. Unthinkable.
THE LIGHT 7000

Post by THE LIGHT 7000 »

Hi,...once again (even it is not my buisness...), but thankyou very much for telling the people what Grks oops- Greeks, are doing with Makedonia and the world
...,yes with money and ...aarghh...sex... (by the way what was Lesbos , where was that...),...... So can you "own" the soul of the people too, their dignity...., no I do not think so, there are no money for that, ...., What is Makedonian it belongs to Makedonians, no more no less, ..., ...and after a while there will be no Greek state, and than my friend, what you want to be- Vlach, Turk, Albanian/Toska/Geaga, or Makedonian, or ...,
... , Thankyou for your post and honesty...The Light 7000
Molossos

Post by Molossos »

Actually I am Aroman, Vlach as you say, from both my parents' sides. Thank for the honesty too, I am always proud of my Aromanian-Hellenic origin.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

I tried and I tried and I tried to ignore this thread, but I failed.Tosh!1. Alexander's rage at being offered the boys was nothing to do with his sexuality, it was at the suggestion that all he was interested in was taking on a couple of boys for sexual purposes. That's a completely different matter.
2. Therefore it says absolutely nothing about Alexander's sexuality or his attitude towards 'homosexuality'.
3. It doesn't matter in the slightest, anyway.
4. What's unthinkable about a disciplined army being led by "a gay"? Are you suggesting that an army led by a homosexual can't be disciplined; or are you suggesting that they would have refused to be led by a homosexual? As plenty of soldiers in Alexander's army formed attachments with other men/youths, it obviously didn't affect their discipline (and the crack fighting force of Thebes for thirty-odd years had been composed of pairs of lovers, so there); and therefore they were also unlikely to be at all concerned if their general had relationships with other men.This is not the place for rants against Alexander's, or anyone else's sexual orientation, especially when it's an uninformed rant. My only amusement was to see how quickly the 'modern Greek/Macedonian debate' crowd jumped in with their agenda - that must be some sort of record!Marcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Steve

Post by Steve »

It is also amusing to see how quickly the homosexuality defenders crowd jump into it too.