And the Greeks Say He Was Not BiSexual

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

Linda
Hetairos (companion)

Re: And the Greeks Say He Was Not BiSexual

Post by Linda »

HiOK - sorry if I picked up conflict where there is none. Actually, I am in two minds myself whether Hephaestion was Alexander's eromenos. I think it is clear Alexander was in love with him, but the fact that everyone notes how discreet Alexander's relationships were I think directly relates to Hepahestion - there are huge lacunae there, as there is in the sources at (possibly) important parts of Hepahestion's story. Other relationships - Barsine, Bagoas are well-known as being what they were. Hephaestion is only alluded to obliquely. I think, if it did exist, then it must have been discreet from early on. On the other hand, perhaps no-one thought it worth mentioning too much, maybe there wasn't much to say, or maybe the nasty situation surrounding the Pausinases made Alexander want to protect Hephaestion from any of that sort of sordid name-calling etc. It is an odd relationship - perhaps it is the Greek writers who could not admit that that kind of relationship could not exist - who knows ther hang-ups in other societies..Again, only opinions. :)