Persian or Arabic name of Alexander

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

Cyrus

Persian or Arabic name of Alexander

Post by Cyrus »

Some people think that Eskandar (Sikandar) is the Persian or Arabic name of Alexander whenas the exact name of "Alexander" who was known as "Alexander the Roman", has been mentioned in the late Pahlaiv (Middle Persian) sources as "Aleksandar-i hromayig" and the early Arabic sources as "Aleksandar Ar-Rumi", the incorrect name of "Eskandar" was appeared when it was translated by mistake from Arabic to Farsi (Modern Persian) [by removing the definite article of "Al"] as "Eskandar-e Rumi"!
saif

Re: Persian or Arabic name of Alexander

Post by saif »

It is possible that it is a mistak in transilation Alexander is one word and if it pronounced in Arabic Alexander it sounds like GÇ£ Al ExanderGÇ¥ which means GÇ£The ExanderGÇ¥ the iskander.So I think the confusion is between AL which means THE and AL in Alexander which is part of the name.So in Arabic when we say "Alexander Almacdoni" we mean GÇ£The Iskander the Macedonian GÇ£
matz
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by matz »

Are you able to provide the translation of "Aleksandar-i hromayig" and "Aleksandar Ar-Rumi"?
(Alexander The Great perhaps?)Thanks
matz

Post by matz »

I'm sorry, I must have been half asleep. Alexander The Roman - Eureka!
matz

Post by matz »

What is the name people from the Arabic world usualy use for Alexander? Is it Alexander Al Macdoni?
Link

Post by Link »

Hi Matz,I knew if you rummaged around a bit you'd get it;-)Macdoni is a common term for Macedonians used by people in the middle east areas.I read somewhere that A's name written in Eutruscan was something like Alksndr, but i can't recall the link to it.Btw here is Peter Green's bit on the movie if anyone is interested.http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs. ... Cheers!OLD MACEDONIANGLISH Koen iyas sam gnayan aza to shwo iyasWhen i's am knowan as to what i's vizden aza tia gorosali gramatik rekoi odviewed as the colossal gramatik reckons ofMakedonsi histori, verieve moy velot sestra,Makedon's history, believe my word sister,brator, keyull gnayall totalno onadto shwo iyas brother, you'll knowall totally on to what i's vidu aza chisto voda. viewed as chaste water.
saif

Post by saif »

for Alexander the Great we say al eskander al macdoni which means the Alexander the macidonian.and when some arabs(christan arabs) want to name their childern alexander it will be Iskander in arabic and alexander in english.alrumi means the romanian
aleghreeqe means a persone from greece
yiannis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by yiannis »

Saif, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the word "Roumi" used by the Arabs to describe the Greeks? Do you use the same term for the Romans?Roumi is coming from the Byzantine empire era and was reffering to Greeks, right?Cyrus, it wouldn't make sense to reffer to Alexander as "Roman"!
saif

Post by saif »

you are right i checked and i found out that romi, yonani and macadoni all meant greece and areas around them.
they called the largest powers at that time as fars and roum wich was persia and macidona but they kept calling the "western" powers ALROUM.at present day historians call each with its own name like greece is called yonan.
roum is no longer used for any present groups.