well of course...

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

jorgios
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

well of course...

Post by jorgios »

Of course Arrian is the best and most detailed ancient Alexander text, but as far as modern sources go i think that "The Nature of Alexander" by Mary Renault is pretty good even if Renault is obviously so in love with Alexander that she tries to defend everything she does(which I dont have a problem with).
On the other hand, i think a good fictional account of Alexander would be "Alexander the Great" by the famed Nikos Kazantzakis. It starts when Alexi's a young boy and goes right to his death. Its done in a more young adult style and was popular with youth in pre'war Greece. It tends to fly in some parts while dragging in others i have noticed though, but still an overall good read.
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: well of course...

Post by marcus »

Hi Jorge,I read the Kazantzakis book a few years ago (he's the guy who wrote 'Zorba the Greek' if I recall correctly). I agree that it is more a 'young adult' book although I have to confess that I had the same problems with the style that I do with Manfredi - so perhaps it is a translation issue. But for teenagers to read I suppose it ain't bad.When Nick did his original poll of books in the forum I voted that Renault's 'Nature...' should stay on the list, purely because it was the book that got me into Alexander in the first place. Any book that will attract more recruits to the hallowed Companions ( ) is OK in my book, however rose-tinted the spectacles...All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
luc
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: well of course...

Post by luc »

To me I find it amazing how Mary Renault writes, and yes she defends everything he does, to which I also do not have a problem with. But it just seems like she actually knew him, the way the Fire from Heaven and the Persian Boy are written,it's like we're seeing Alexander. I love it. If I were a film director I'd use these two books for a good movie. But half the time when it comes to history, movie people don't know what they're doing (aka Gladiator) oh well...