Callisthenes article in 'Main Characters'

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

marcus
Somatophylax

Callisthenes article in 'Main Characters'

Post by marcus »

Hi folks,With my new-found 'authoring' status (and plenty of help from Thomas on how to exercise it) I have now posted a piece on Callisthenes to the Main Characters section.All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
yiannis
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Callisthenes article in 'Main Characters'

Post by yiannis »

Hi Marcus,Well written!
You have a natural talent in writing. English is a foreign language to me, yet I read your texts as smoothly as if they were written in Greek.

There's a huge cave in an island called Antiparos (next to Paros). In that cave there are names written on the stalagmites from antiquity till modern times. There's a particular spot that there are some ancient names written that the tradition says that they are the names of the conspirators against Alexander's life. Apparently they took refuge in Antiparos when Alexander came after them and finally, before their arrest, they were hidden in that cave. I've been there, seen the names, but I cannot recall Callisthenes:)
Nice story although purely fiction!cheers,
Yiannis
nick
Somatophylax

Post by nick »

Yes, excellent. I changed the Homepage.Regards -
Nick
nick
Somatophylax

Re: Callisthenes - strange ???

Post by nick »

Mi Marcus -In my Aristotle article I wrote:
After Callisthenes was executed by Alexander, Aristotle remarked that Callisthenes had "possessed great eloquence, but lacked common sense".
That is what I 'read' in Plutarch (Alex. 55).
You write in Callisthenes:
According to Plutarch Aristotle had once remarked that Callisthenes possessed great eloquence but lacked common sense, and this seems to have played a part in his downfall.
So what is the correct interpretation? Plutarch's remark before or after Callisthenes' downfall? Funny?
I like this. Best regards -
Nick
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Callisthenes - strange ???

Post by marcus »

Hi Nick,
That is interesting - there's a debate that could go on for ages!
My copy of Plutarch is the Penguin Classics version. I honestly can't remember what it said exactly but I have always read it as being unspecific about when Aristotle said it.
I suppose I could say "Aristotle said that..." and leave it at that! :-))
All the best
Marcus
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Yiannis,Thank you for your kind words - I aim to please!Interesting story about the names in the cave. I've never heard it before. Once more you have taught us all something.All the bestMarcus
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
yiannis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by yiannis »

Just to avoid misunderstandings, the story that I posted is 99,9% fiction! It's a legend that's being told on this island but there's no evidence that it's true. Most likely these are the names of ancient children playing in the cave and writing their names just as our children paint graffitiGÇÖs!Br,
Yiannis
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Hi Yiannis,Don't worry, I noted your point about it being fiction. But it is still a good story (and only 99% fiction... :-))!All the bestMarcus
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK