The small things about Greek and Persian life

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

canto
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

The small things about Greek and Persian life

Post by canto »

I was wondering if someone could tell me where I can find info. on the kinds of plants that the Greek farmers grew, and if individuals had their own little gardens for private use. What kinds of things did they eat? And what did the Persians grow and eat?When they cooked up supper what kinda things did they put together.I would like to know also about the animal life around them and the kind of insects and wild flowers. I have looked on the net but can't find this kind of info. Where can one find the strange small bits of fact like this?lightofdawn
thom

Re: The small things about Greek and Persian life

Post by thom »

There's a lot of information on things of that nature in Athanaeus' Deipnosophists. Any decent academic library should have the seven-volume Loeb edition, or you can order individual volumes for $21.50 apiece directly from the Loeb site: http://www.hup.harvard.edu/loeb/author.html#A(The ISBN numbers are: 0-674-99224-5, 0-674-99229-6, 0-674-99247-4, 0-674-99259-8, 0-674-99302-0, 0-674-99361-6, and 0-674-99380-2)Hope this helps.Regards,Thom Stark
abm

Post by abm »

you might find something here:Paul Faure, La vie quotidienne des arm+¬es dGÇÖAlexandre, Paris: Hachette 1982.Pascale Ballet, La vie quotidienne +á Alexandrie, Paris: Hachette 1999.
canto

Post by canto »

Thanks Thom for the site. I have never seen it before. It looks helpful.And abm, thanks too, but I can't read these books unless they are translated.lightofdawn
abm

Post by abm »

As far as I know these books are unfortunately not translated into english
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Am afraid that my poor schoolgirl French would preclude my being able to read these books - I even had to look up "quotidienne" in a French/English dictionary! I'm saddened by this, as The daily life of Alexander's armies is certainly a book I would love to read! Even if I were able to read the French, the book is out of print and no used copies are to be found on Amazon U.S.
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
abm

Post by abm »

according to the website of the editor the book is still available: http://www.hachette.com/HomePageFO/fran ... =recherche
wendy

Post by wendy »

Who did Alexander the Great fight against. What were the wars like and what were they called. Give me some information on them.
star

Alexander the Great and the wars he fought.

Post by star »

Who did Alexander the great fight against and what were the wars called. What were they like?