Alexanders legacy from Vangelis

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

kenny
Hetairos (companion)

Alexanders legacy from Vangelis

Post by kenny »

Companions Hi
#
Yesterday I watched a documentary programme on the BBC and there in the background was the Vangelis Alexander score.Ive heard it quite a bit on programes and to be really honest its a fine piece of music. And to be a little more optimistic this scopre is definately worth an oswcar nomination?I think the score will be added to the list of classic movie scores its really that good.Any opinions?
Kenny
lucian
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: Alexanders legacy from Vangelis

Post by lucian »

I liked the music, although at times the themes were repetitive within themselves. I am annoyed that there were scores on the film that was not on the CD, in particular the theme when Alexander decides to go home, and the soldier put him on the horse - that is a very beautiful theme. In addition, there was the theme for the young Alexander wrestling, I love that one, and again not on the CD. I still think that the score for ALEXANDER should have reflected the cultures he crossed. It would have been quite astonishing to have a score that involved Greek, Indian, Arabic composers, or sounds that reflected that, rather than a generic "epic" soundtrack. For that reason, and that reason alone, I don't think he should have been up for an Oscar. I am not a composer, but the soundtrack lacked creativity. The Lord of the Rings soundtrack (all 3) was incredible primarily for that reason - every tolkien creation had a theme of some sort, from the Shire, to Gollum, to Lothlorien; it provided an acoustic narrative progression, that ALEXANDER lacked. In my personal opinion, James Horner would have done a better job than Vangelis. Horner has the habit of absorbing cultures when he does his scores for historical films.
boris
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: Alexanders legacy from Vangelis

Post by boris »

Its an excellent soundtrack, I wasted no time in purchasing it after seeing the film!The theme for 'Young Alexander' which blends seamlessly to the first track is totally epic and full of heroism and energy! The whole soundtrack starts superbly, going up to the Drums of Gaugamela but the following tracks arent quite as great in my opinion.The exception to this would be 'Across the Mountains' which is superb. Two thumbs up to Vangelis, a splendid effort!